Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 11:10 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times

Advertisements

My mom claims they won't call you if your test results came back that caused a concern since the email of the results was sent to the patient. Wouldn't that be kind of strange for a doctor to not call you if your results came back that caused a concern? I am not really interested in viewing test results in a email because I tend to have anxiety and would prefer to be contacted by the doctor if something is wrong.

Anyone else view their test results by email?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 11:22 AM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I used to have them mailed to my house, now I view them through a portal.

My doctor calls if something is wrong and urgent. If not urgent, it can wait until my next appt.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-22-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I used to have them mailed to my house, now I view them through a portal.

My doctor calls if something is wrong and urgent. If not urgent, it can wait until my next appt.

That's what I was trying to explain to my mom since she was saying they don't call anymore and it's up to the patient to check the email.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:39 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
My recent visit and I only see my doc about once a year she got me set up with this portal deal. I want hard copies regardless as I keep hard copies to check last yr against this yr etc. I get blurried eyed on this computer world. I have hard copies from yrs back and just threw some away...If when I get the copies and something is out of line, I'll do some research or will call her and go in if necessary.

What I see is happening more and more doctors etc will be doing business geared to the younger generations. We older folks, well we know about that. I know plenty of older people who NEVER even got on the computer.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:27 PM

683 posts, read 1,884,541 times
I view my results in a portal and prefer it that was. I felt it was a waste of money 'the old way' when they would make you come back a week later to get the results. Just more money and time away from work.

If someone wants a personal review of the results, they can always make a follow up appointment to see the doctor again.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post
I view my results in a portal and prefer it that was. I felt it was a waste of money 'the old way' when they would make you come back a week later to get the results. Just more money and time away from work.

If someone wants a personal review of the results, they can always make a follow up appointment to see the doctor again.

Isn't that only if the results caused a concern that the doctor would require you to return a week a later?

Old 10-23-2017, 12:55 AM

23,293 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
My mom claims they won't call you if your test results came back that caused a concern since the email of the results was sent to the patient. Wouldn't that be kind of strange for a doctor to not call you if your results came back that caused a concern? I am not really interested in viewing test results in a email because I tend to have anxiety and would prefer to be contacted by the doctor if something is wrong.

Anyone else view their test results by email?
Why would getting worrisome results via email cause you more anxiety than getting it in person from the doctor? Seems to me being able to read the results in private on my own time might be easier. Just asking because I am curious. I haven't gotten test results via email before, but haven't had home email for very long (remote location...no internet at home).

Old 10-23-2017, 10:23 AM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I think it's lack of knowledge. Some of my labs are high or low.... and it doesn't matter. Some come in and it does matter. Sometimes one value change and it's considered bad, sometimes it's not bad unless it's a 20 or 30 change (whatever value the measurements are).

I go to a page like Lab Tests Online, to help read the results, but sometimes I still have questions. I could call my doc, with every question, but I leave him to doctoring, and figure out what I can. Any remaining questions I wait until my quarterly exam.

Things like my potassium comes in high, which is bad.... but it is subject to a lot of false "highs", so now I ignore it, because whenever I am retested, it is normal.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-23-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Why would getting worrisome results via email cause you more anxiety than getting it in person from the doctor? Seems to me being able to read the results in private on my own time might be easier. Just asking because I am curious. I haven't gotten test results via email before, but haven't had home email for very long (remote location...no internet at home).
I tried to open the emails but it just too nerve racking and i prefer a call if something is wrong. Just never been a fan of those types of emails.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:55 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
That's what I was trying to explain to my mom since she was saying they don't call anymore and it's up to the patient to check the email.

Ummm....she's right

My doctor's great on ordering tests, but not with discussing the results. My last visit, I asked if my blood work had come back. she said yes, it did. I asked her to go over the results---which is part of her job! She then said don't you use MyChart? Just review them there, I don't have time to go over each and every test. Whaaa........

Seems every time I see her I get a stack of test orders. Each test is another appointment, time out of my day, not to mention the co-pays. Then, they can't even be bothered going over them!I'm literally run ragged chasing after tests, tests, and more tests. For what reason? Because my insurance will pay for them, I suppose. Needless to say, I'm in the process of switching doctors, and the next doctor I will make sure understands I'm NOT there just to have my insurance milked. But then again, why am I there Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness