Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 02:32 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times

Advertisements

I am getting older. I am now in my upper 60s and I am visiting the doctor more often these days. It seems that I am no longer seeing the family doctor for a vaccination or a laceration, as was once the case. Now my visits are for problems that seem to always involve indignities. Like a lot of older guys, I have prostate problems. When a guy goes to a doctor for prostate troubles, that usually means a digital exam. I have lowered my trousers about a half dozen times for digital examinations the last couple of years. I now know to where loose pants so they will drop to my ankles when unbuttoned. I am having a prostate biopsy in a few weeks. I equate that to a digital exam on steroids.

I have been fighting hemorrhoids the last couple of years. Those have cost me some dignity. It isn't always private parts involved. I had some kind of small cist in a nostril that needed attention. And I have some toenails that I do not display with pride. They have been warped and crinkled by decades of internal fungus. The doctor got a look at them when I sprained my 67 year-old foot when doing nothing more than stepping off a curb.

My complaining comes from not being a woman and therefore never going through a lifetime of regular gynecological examinations and mammograms. Another factor is that I have been healthy for the first 60 years of my life and have avoided these kind of mild, and unavoidable, indignities, indignities that I am now learning are, in reality, facts of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 02:42 PM

282 posts, read 232,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I am getting older. I am now in my upper 60s and I am visiting the doctor more often these days. It seems that I am no longer seeing the family doctor for a vaccination or a laceration, as was once the case. Now my visits are for problems that seem to always involve indignities. Like a lot of older guys, I have prostate problems. When a guy goes to a doctor for prostate troubles, that usually means a digital exam. I have lowered my trousers about a half dozen times for digital examinations the last couple of years. I now know to where loose pants so they will drop to my ankles when unbuttoned. I am having a prostate biopsy in a few weeks. I equate that to a digital exam on steroids.

I have been fighting hemorrhoids the last couple of years. Those have cost me some dignity. It isn't always private parts involved. I had some kind of small cist in a nostril that needed attention. And I have some toenails that I do not display with pride. They have been warped and crinkled by decades of internal fungus. The doctor got a look at them when I sprained my 67 year-old foot when doing nothing more than stepping off a curb.

My complaining comes from not being a woman and therefore never going through a lifetime of regular gynecological examinations and mammograms. Another factor is that I have been healthy for the first 60 years of my life and have avoided these kind of mild, and unavoidable, indignities, indignities that I am now learning are, in reality, facts of life.
<3 Welcome to a peek at "our" world, GalileoSmith! Facts of life, you betcha. Indignities galore when you're a woman if you take an active role in getting yearly exams - pap smears, mammograms every other year if you're older - not just the indignity, but the physical discomfort! Squishing "the girls" into a vise so you can take a picture of them is PAINFUL!

You'll get through it. Plus men are adorable when they blush

Old 10-24-2017, 02:42 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:

It's true and for me being a woman things have hit me mostly due to arthritis and a lot later in life. I'm 79 Moderator cut: off topic

As for modesty, forget it,,doctors and their assistants see it all. After spending over 4.5 months in rehabs due to knee infection, there is no modesty issues for me to even think about.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-24-2017 at 04:52 PM..

Old 10-24-2017, 05:19 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
You're right, women never have a moment of modesty at the doctor's office. You'll get used to it. It is great that you go to the doctor, a lot of men refuse to, including my husband. I wish he would.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:12 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times
At least you're pro-active and taking care of yourself. Many don't. I hope with all these exams that you'll get over this 'hump' and back on the road to better health.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:46 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:

I have been healthy for the first 60 years of my life and have avoided these kind of mild, and unavoidable, indignities, indignities that I am now learning are, in reality, facts of life.
Yeh...it's the pitts!!!

Old 10-25-2017, 06:14 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
You're right, women never have a moment of modesty at the doctor's office. You'll get used to it. It is great that you go to the doctor, a lot of men refuse to, including my husband. I wish he would.
Yeah...you haven't lived until they put you up in stirrups, insert a speculum, then figure out the instrument they need is in the other room and spend 10 min.looking for it.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:30 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yeah...you haven't lived until they put you up in stirrups, insert a speculum, then figure out the instrument they need is in the other room and spend 10 min.looking for it.
LOL!! Or when you get a nurse who's never seen a cervix before and would you mind if she looked ...?

Old 10-25-2017, 06:35 PM

671 posts, read 445,675 times
Quote:

Join the crowd of Boomers. I am female and have intestinal probs. I no longer wear makeup. Half the time I don't wear my fake boob (mastectomy on the right breast from BC), let my hair grow really long so it covers the missing boob, sweat pants, hair in a bun. Only thing I do now when I visit the doc is brush my teeth, take a shower and know I am going to be poked and prodded and there is no such thing as modesty or dignity left after you hit 65.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:45 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Or you're in the middle of a breast exam, and the examiner calls in 3 other people to gather round and examine your breast.

I felt like I should charge admission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness