Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 04:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Update - just got in from my second opinion appointment for TFCC tears and tendonitis in my left wrist. After looking over all my medical records, the doctor said that the disintegration of the cartilege and overall joint trauma fits damage from Cipro, but he wants to rule out autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. These do run in my family but I have zero other symptoms of anything and seem to be in perfect health other than this wrist issue. He said that my cartilege is basically dissolving, which is not good news at all considering there's really no way of repairing that, though he can go in and debride it (get the damaged tissue out of there). He stressed that he thinks this is probably due to Cipro (remember, I took it for one week), but he wants to cover all his bases, especially due to family history of autoimmune disorders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 10:39 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
They need to stand their ground and do what's best, which is not necessarily what the patient thinks is best.
Do you think that patients should be able to publicly criticise doctors who do not give them what they want? Should survey results be a factor in doctor employment and pay?

Old 08-02-2018, 11:06 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,498,140 times
Quote:
Update - just got in from my second opinion appointment for TFCC tears and tendonitis in my left wrist. After looking over all my medical records, the doctor said that the disintegration of the cartilege and overall joint trauma fits damage from Cipro, but he wants to rule out autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. These do run in my family but I have zero other symptoms of anything and seem to be in perfect health other than this wrist issue. He said that my cartilege is basically dissolving, which is not good news at all considering there's really no way of repairing that, though he can go in and debride it (get the damaged tissue out of there). He stressed that he thinks this is probably due to Cipro (remember, I took it for one week), but he wants to cover all his bases, especially due to family history of autoimmune disorders.
How long after you took the Cipro did you start to have the tendon problems?

Old 08-03-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Do you think that patients should be able to publicly criticise doctors who do not give them what they want? Should survey results be a factor in doctor employment and pay?
I do not believe that slander and libel are legal, but otherwise I think opinions fall under "free speech." As for surveys being a factor in doctor employment and pay, I'll leave that between doctors and their employers.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
How long after you took the Cipro did you start to have the tendon problems?

Within a few months I began experiencing symptoms.

Until fairly recently, the FDA thought that tendon and joint issues would be limited to WHILE a person was taking the drug, but now they realize that the damage is permanent. I took the Cipro five years ago. When my Achilles tendons fell apart, my doctor told me "Your wrists are next," but I didn't want to hear that. Turns out he was right.

The damage was probably already done, just waiting to manifest (and I'm sure time and age didn't help matters). In other words, my doctors believe my joints were weakened but it manifests over time. God, I hope and pray that no other joints were affected. Achilles tendons are the most commonly damaged, followed by wrists, and then other joints.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:10 AM

9,846 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
I was talking about patients who demand antibiotics. How do doctors make them stop doing that?
They must have terrible communication skills if they can't simply explain that antibiotics aren't warranted in that situation. So stupid, there are dangers to over using antibiotics, doctors know this.

I think this all goes back to the basic problem that shows up in these threads. Some of us have been harmed by medications so we are very very wary of what we will put in our bodies. Others believe their bodies can't heal themselves without the help of a doctor prescribed medication and must run to their physician for every little thing.

Doctors are the gatekeepers of the drugs, they shouldn't be afraid to say no.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:19 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,498,140 times
Quote:
Within a few months I began experiencing symptoms.

Until fairly recently, the FDA thought that tendon and joint issues would be limited to WHILE a person was taking the drug, but now they realize that the damage is permanent. I took the Cipro five years ago. When my Achilles tendons fell apart, my doctor told me "Your wrists are next," but I didn't want to hear that. Turns out he was right.

The damage was probably already done, just waiting to manifest (and I'm sure time and age didn't help matters). In other words, my doctors believe my joints were weakened but it manifests over time. God, I hope and pray that no other joints were affected. Achilles tendons are the most commonly damaged, followed by wrists, and then other joints.
Everybody ages, so to say that was a factor is kind of neither here nor there. I'm so sorry this happened to you and I hope no other joints are affected. I'm not litigious by nature, but I would make a big exception here and I hope you are considering it.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
They must have terrible communication skills if they can't simply explain that antibiotics aren't warranted in that situation. So stupid, there are dangers to over using antibiotics, doctors know this.

I think this all goes back to the basic problem that shows up in these threads. Some of us have been harmed by medications so we are very very wary of what we will put in our bodies. Others believe their bodies can't heal themselves without the help of a doctor prescribed medication and must run to their physician for every little thing.

Doctors are the gatekeepers of the drugs, they shouldn't be afraid to say no.
They should not have to be afraid to say no, but some are.

The doctor can have a thirty minute prepared lecture on why an antibiotic is not indicated and the patient will still be miffed if he does not get it.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:50 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,698,274 times
Quote:
They should not have to be afraid to say no, but some are.

The doctor can have a thirty minute prepared lecture on why an antibiotic is not indicated and the patient will still be miffed if he does not get it.
Not sure what your point is here to continue going on and on about this fact. You have received many explanations as to why that happens or might happen. It is no different then any other business out there that gets some good reviews and some bad reviews that may be unjustified and/or affect their business. This has been going on ever since comment/review sections were invented.

I do believe that any Dr can write a rebuttal or explanation against bad reviews to justify their stance, can't they? There will always be good doctors who will take the high road and not cave to patients and also the not so good doctors who don't know how to deal with patients and will cave.

Not much anyone can do about any of it except follow through and post a rebuttal/explanation as to why they did not prescribe antibiotics, if it is an option, which I do believe it is on any review sites.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Not sure what your point is here to continue going on and on about this fact. You have received many explanations as to why that happens or might happen. It is no different then any other business out there that gets some good reviews and some bad reviews that may be unjustified and/or affect their business. This has been going on ever since comment/review sections were invented.

I do believe that any Dr can write a rebuttal or explanation against bad reviews to justify their stance, can't they? There will always be good doctors who will take the high road and not cave to patients and also the not so good doctors who don't know how to deal with patients and will cave.

Not much anyone can do about any of it except follow through and post a rebuttal/explanation as to why they did not prescribe antibiotics, if it is an option, which I do believe it is on any review sites.
My response was to the post about antibiotic overprescribing in urgent care centers. I merely provided a reason that it happens. it would also be useful to know whether overprescribing differs between physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants.

I never said that overprescribing is correct.

There are practices where bad reviews will cost a doctor money. They exist. It's naive to think that will not affect prescribing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness