Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 06:01 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,049,862 times

Advertisements

I get asked this every time I pick up a prescription.

And they have private consulting areas to use to talk to the pharmacist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 06:02 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,902,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
You two realize you are just reinforcing the fact that doctors cannot be trusted to counsel their own patients in the patients best interests, right?

I expect you'll be in complete agreement from now on with ANYONE who posts anecdotal info on their own experiences and information that they found on the inter webs, since you have made it 100% clear that it is NEVER the doctor's responsibility to inform the patient about anything.

RIGHT?

Old 08-27-2020, 06:47 AM

37,031 posts, read 41,087,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And what if you don't speak the language?
Have poor reading skills?
Your pharmacist doesn't have the sheet?

Excuse after excuse after excuse. Doctors can do whatever they want, every provide misinformation to patients and you are 100% OK with it.
Quote:
No pharmacist has ever asked me if I have any questions. Ever.But they do have that little pop up in the payment window that you have to sign.

I mean who would want to discuss their herpes medication at the pharmacy checkout while 8 other people are waiting for their medications and can hear every word?
Quote:
You two realize you are just reinforcing the fact that doctors cannot be trusted to counsel their own patients in the patients best interests, right?

I expect you'll be in complete agreement from now on with ANYONE who posts anecdotal info on their own experiences and information that they found on the inter webs, since you have made it 100% clear that it is NEVER the doctor's responsibility to inform the patient about anything.
Your arguments are getting more and more ridiculous. Your doctor is not going to spend thirty minutes going over every last potential adverse effect of every single medication he prescribes. There is not enough time in a day to do that. If you have questions, ask them.

When you get to the pharmacy, you will have the opportunity to ask questions again. That "little pop up in the payment window you have to sign" means ask for a consultation with the pharmacist if you have questions! Privacy can be provided.

The pharmacist will have the info sheet. His computer will print it when the prescription is entered in the system.

Finally, for goodness' sake if you do not understand the language or cannot read, bring someone with you to the doctor's office and the pharmacy who can! Sheesh!

The ultimate responsibility for understanding your medications lies with you.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:58 AM

10,198 posts, read 6,274,942 times
I was INJECTED with Cipro at an Urgent Care Center. All they told me was that they were giving me an antibiotic. Should I have asked what antibiotic, got out my smart phone, and done my research there on the table?

They gave me a bottle of pills to take home. Next day after I took one pill I started getting ringing in my ears and double vision in my left eye. I immediately stopped taking them and threw them out. Only knew it was Cipro from looking at the bottle of pills at home. You can stop taking pills but how do you eliminate injections?

Ringing in my ears stopped after I did not take any more but the double vision lasted for months. Thankfully, not permanently. It was only after I had experienced these symptoms that I did any research on Cipro.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:12 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,049,862 times
Is there a reason you didn’t ask what the injection was?

Idk how old some of you are, but older people sometimes have difficulty pushing back against authority figures, like medical staff, and advocating for themselves. Channel some of this online anger into your real life and question what you don’t understand. The doctors, etc., work for you.

And newtovenice, if you’d stop yelling at us with all caps and bold, that would be helpful.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:45 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,902,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your arguments are getting more and more ridiculous. Your doctor is not going to spend thirty minutes going over every last potential adverse effect of every single medication he prescribes. There is not enough time in a day to do that. If you have questions, ask them.

When you get to the pharmacy, you will have the opportunity to ask questions again. That "little pop up in the payment window you have to sign" means ask for a consultation with the pharmacist if you have questions! Privacy can be provided.

The pharmacist will have the info sheet. His computer will print it when the prescription is entered in the system.

Finally, for goodness' sake if you do not understand the language or cannot read, bring someone with you to the doctor's office and the pharmacy who can! Sheesh!

The ultimate responsibility for understanding your medications lies with you.

BLACK BOX WARNING:

Yes of no:

Doctor has an OBLIGATION TO TELL THE PATIENT.

YES or NO

Look forward to your total inability to answer a straightforward question that 99% of the population would agree on.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:16 PM

10,198 posts, read 6,274,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Is there a reason you didn’t ask what the injection was?

Idk how old some of you are, but older people sometimes have difficulty pushing back against authority figures, like medical staff, and advocating for themselves. Channel some of this online anger into your real life and question what you don’t understand. The doctors, etc., work for you.

And newtovenice, if you’d stop yelling at us with all caps and bold, that would be helpful.
Yes, I was 62 but AGE was not a factor in pushing back. I had food poisoning and had been vomiting with diarrhea for 3 days. All that pain and suffering goes away. All you want to do is SLEEP. Do medical professionals tell you that? Of course not. All they talk about is pain and suffering. Does a person in a coma have pain and suffering? Husband practically carried me into the car because I did not want to wake up. It was very blissful sleeping.

I had never been to that UCC before or afterwards. Kept falling ASLEEP there. Question them??????? They kept nudging me to stay awake to talk to me.

I do not have my very own doctor because I do not TRUST them, and afterward that experience, think I trusted doctors more? After that, I sat down with my husband and told him in no uncertain terms what my views are on medical treatment for myself are. He KNOWS now never to do this to me again.

I will just say this to your medical professionals. You cannot SAVE people who do not want your help.Why everyone needs an Advanced Directive in place if and when they become incapacitated and cannot speak for themselves. I am going to guess you do not like Advanced Directives, medical people.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:

BLACK BOX WARNING:

Yes of no:

YES or NO

Look forward to your total inability to answer a straightforward question that 99% of the population would agree on.
They do. It would be stupid not to.

There is legal liability in not doing so.

If your doctor did not discuss it with you, as I said before you need another doctor. Did you ask that doctor the reason for not discussing the black box warning? What did s/he say?

You believe all doctors are so stupid they will ignore black box warnings. They are not.

Even if you do have a stupid doctor, your pharmacist is a second source of information. The warning will be on the printed information you will be given when the drug is dispensed. It may even be on the bottle of medication itself.

https://www.singlecare.com/blog/black-box-warning/

Old 08-27-2020, 02:45 PM

7,181 posts, read 5,033,283 times
Quote:

BLACK BOX WARNING:

Yes of no:

YES or NO

NO.

The Black Box is not to warn the patient. It's to warn the physician (about legal matters..Eg- Cipro only accounts for 1 extra ruptured tendon out of every 100,000 pts How big a medical concern is this???)

The physician's obligation is to properly diagnose and select the optimum treatment for the specific patient....

A physician has many value judgments and a few decisions to be made based on quantifiable info in determining each treatment plan....Patients, by and large, are working from a position of a low information base on the physiology, pathology & pharmacology involved, little comprehension of statistics, not to mention the psychology & economic features to be considered in decision making.

A physician should offer alternatives when possible, but also include a discussion of the relative merits of the choices.

A physician should have no obligation to give detailed info on all possible side effects: ALL drugs CAN show side effects, and the rates of those side effects are usually extremely small. ..A good general rule is simply for a pt to complain if any new symptom should arise after taking a new med...The power of suggestion is very strong in many pts so maybe it's best not to elaborate on describing possible drug reactions.

As many posts in this thread indicate, many pts are simply not capable of intelligently evaluating risks and cannot be counted on to make good decisions by themselves.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 08-27-2020 at 02:55 PM..

Old 08-27-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I am going to guess you do not like Advanced Directives, medical people.
You know, that is an absolutely asinine thing to say. Of course medical people want you to have an advance directive. If you go to a hospital you will be asked if you have one. Most doctors have advance directives themselves. However, they are human, and some, especially younger ones, may procrastinate, like some may do about making wills in general, because of the tendency to deny our own mortality.

https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/pra...atient%20coded.

"Experiences like that may be why the majority of U.S. doctors (59%) have a living will. In contrast, about one-third of U.S. adults have an advance directive, according to a 2017 Health Affairs study."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness