Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 03:32 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You know, that is an absolutely asinine thing to say. Of course medical people want you to have an advance directive. If you go to a hospital you will be asked if you have one. Most doctors have advance directives themselves. However, they are human, and some, especially younger ones, may procrastinate, like some may do about making wills in general, because of the tendency to deny our own mortality.

https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/pra...atient%20coded.

"Experiences like that may be why the majority of U.S. doctors (59%) have a living will. In contrast, about one-third of U.S. adults have an advance directive, according to a 2017 Health Affairs study."
When my husband had a heart attack and I took him to the ER, they asked ME if he had a DNR or AD. I had to sign for HIM.

When I was in that Urgent Care Center they did not ask ME if I did. Even after my car crash 2 months ago and taken to the ER, NOBODY asked me anything. I was in a state of shock. Couldn't even tell the cops what my address was, or who the PRESIDENT was. Could not remember. Think I could have told them that I had a DNR or AD?

Why I think people should have some kind of PROOF on them in situations like these. I tried to get a bracelet but was told I needed DOCTOR'S PERMISSION to get that. Sorry, I am not going to go to a doctor and get their PERMISSION.

But of course, Suzy, you know everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 04:09 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
When my husband had a heart attack and I took him to the ER, they asked ME if he had a DNR or AD. I had to sign for HIM.

When I was in that Urgent Care Center they did not ask ME if I did. Even after my car crash 2 months ago and taken to the ER, NOBODY asked me anything. I was in a state of shock. Couldn't even tell the cops what my address was, or who the PRESIDENT was. Could not remember. Think I could have told them that I had a DNR or AD?

Why I think people should have some kind of PROOF on them in situations like these. I tried to get a bracelet but was told I needed DOCTOR'S PERMISSION to get that. Sorry, I am not going to go to a doctor and get their PERMISSION.

But of course, Suzy, you know everything.
If your husband was unable to answer of course they asked you. Why wouldn't they? Who else would you expect them to get the information from?

If you were that out of it after your accident and could not REMEMBER then you do not know whether anyone asked or not, do you? Was your husband there? Did they ask him?

Good grief. If your state requires evaluation by a physician to get a DNR bracelet go to a doctor and get the legal paperwork done. It is for your protection. The state wants to be sure you are the one who wants to wear the bracelet.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:22 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
They do. It would be stupid not to.

There is legal liability in not doing so.
l]
Ah, so the ONLY reason a doctor should discuss a black box warning of a drug the patient may be prescribed is because the doctor may get sued if they don't?

What about the health of the patient? Should the doctor have any interest in that???

True colors REALLY showing today suzy. Just wow.

Wonder who it is, too. Whatevs to whoevs.

Old 08-28-2020, 04:33 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Ah, so the ONLY reason a doctor should discuss a black box warning of a drug the patient may be prescribed is because the doctor may get sued if they don't?

What about the health of the patient? Should the doctor have any interest in that???

True colors REALLY showing today suzy. Just wow.

Wonder who it is, too. Whatevs to whoevs.
Sit down...Take a few deep breathes...Now ruminate on this for awhile:

Cipro accounts for only 1 extra case of tendon rupture in every 100,000 pts who uses it...(Has that sunk in?)

Cipro causes allergic reactions in 1 of every 50 pts who uses it-- including 60 cases (about the same as the number of excess tendon ruptures) of life-threatening anaphylactic shock each year--BUT NO BLACK BOX WARNING ABOUT THAT--

What's the real meaning of a black Box Warning?

Old 08-28-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
If your husband was unable to answer of course they asked you. Why wouldn't they? Who else would you expect them to get the information from?

If you were that out of it after your accident and could not REMEMBER then you do not know whether anyone asked or not, do you? Was your husband there? Did they ask him?

Good grief. If your state requires evaluation by a physician to get a DNR bracelet go to a doctor and get the legal paperwork done. It is for your protection. The state wants to be sure you are the one who wants to wear the bracelet.
I was pretty much running on auto pilot after the crash. No memory whatsoever of the crash. Remember some things but not others. Got out of car by myself (don't remember). Called husband on cell phone (remember). He was in the ambulance with me (don't remember). In ER with me (remember). Do remember ER telling what they were going to do to me. Told them NO when they wanted to give me a Tetanus shot. Also remember the Trauma Team telling me they were "concerned" about my sternum and they would approve me staying overnight. NO. It took about 4 hours after the crash for me to totally regain my total mental capacities.

As far as getting doctor to sign off on DNR bracelet, let my fingers do the walking? Hey, doc, I am not your PATIENT but want to get a DNR bracelet? They will just sign off on that????? I will have to become their patient; get a physical, round of tests, etc. I do not WANT my very own doctor, and all that entails. I am pretty sure that just "talking" to some doctor about a bracelet will not be enough. Get it?

BTW; Both my husband and I agree that trip to the ER was a totally waste of $9,000. Auto insurance paid for that, not medical insurance. I was perfectly capable of walking away, getting into his car, and be driven HOME. Just added to my beliefs that the medical community PREYS on vulnerable people.

Last edited by Jo48; 08-28-2020 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-28-2020, 01:21 PM

Back to OT on Cipro. I did my research on Cipro after my severe but RARE (double vision) reaction to it. Learned that Cipro is part of a group of FLUOROquinolones antibiotics. I had never taken those before. All Penicillin antibiotics with no problems.

The "fluoro" rang bells for me. I had problems with showering in fluoridated water. Broke out in rashes all over my body. Researching that Cipro I made the connection. If I had a reaction to showering, wouldn't have a reaction given it internally?????? When I left the area with that in water, my skin cleared up. Moved 3 years ago to an area which does not add fluoride to water supply. Skin perfectly clear. I know a certain poster will say "it must have been something else in water supply", but I do not believe that. TWO experiences; external and internal.

I will go with my own "trial and error" experience, and stay away from anything that has "fluoro" in it.

Old 08-28-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I was pretty much running on auto pilot after the crash. No memory whatsoever of the crash. Remember some things but not others. Got out of car by myself (don't remember). Called husband on cell phone (remember). He was in the ambulance with me (don't remember). In ER with me (remember). Do remember ER telling what they were going to do to me. Told them NO when they wanted to give me a Tetanus shot. Also remember the Trauma Team telling me they were "concerned" about my sternum and they would approve me staying overnight. NO. It took about 4 hours after the crash for me to totally regain my total mental capacities.

As far as getting doctor to sign off on DNR bracelet, let my fingers do the walking? Hey, doc, I am not your PATIENT but want to get a DNR bracelet? They will just sign off on that????? I will have to become their patient; get a physical, round of tests, etc. I do not WANT my very own doctor, and all that entails. I am pretty sure that just "talking" to some doctor about a bracelet will not be enough. Get it?

BTW; Both my husband and I agree that trip to the ER was a totally waste of $9,000. Auto insurance paid for that, not medical insurance. I was perfectly capable of walking away, getting into his car, and be driven HOME. Just added to my beliefs that the medical community PREYS on vulnerable people.
I guess it depends on how badly you want that bracelet, doesn't it?

You could ask your husband's doctor if he would sign the form for you. He might, since he does already know you.

Hindsight is always 20/20. No way to tell that $9,000 was wasted until after you were evaluated, and you obviously had a concussion.

Old 08-28-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I guess it depends on how badly you want that bracelet, doesn't it?

You could ask your husband's doctor if he would sign the form for you. He might, since he does already know you.

Hindsight is always 20/20. No way to tell that $9,000 was wasted until after you were evaluated, and you obviously had a concussion.
No concussion. They ruled that out in ER. Maybe more like PTSD? I have never met my husband's primary care physician. He did mention me wanting that bracelet to his doctor who said have her come in to talk to me. Husband said, "No, she will never come in to see you". As I said, my husband now knows how I feel about doctors, and won't press the issue with me. He may not agree my views, but he respects them.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
No concussion. They ruled that out in ER. Maybe more like PTSD? I have never met my husband's primary care physician. He did mention me wanting that bracelet to his doctor who said have her come in to talk to me. Husband said, "No, she will never come in to see you". As I said, my husband now knows how I feel about doctors, and won't press the issue with me. He may not agree my views, but he respects them.
"Have her come talk to me" does not mean you must agree to continuing care.

Memory loss is a symptom of concussion.

https://mayfieldclinic.com/pe-concussion.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness