Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 09:27 PM

17,590 posts, read 13,372,722 times

Advertisements

https://www.self.com/story/covid-19-...y_GenericOpens

Quote:
What makes shared restrooms different? For one thing, a bathroom is usually a small enclosed space that's not well ventilated, conditions which we know make it easier for the coronavirus to spread. Second, we're talking about bathrooms you share with people that you don't live with, which means you're being potentially exposed to new sources of COVID-19 thanks to shared surfaces that may or may not be sanitized regularly.

And, finally, there's the toilet plume, which is the term used to describe what happens after you flush: The force of the flushing causes tiny particles of everything in the toilet—pee, poop, whatever—to spray into the air, SELF explained previously. This is worrying because some diseases (such as norovirus and Claustridium difficile) are known to spread via fecal transmission, so having more of that matter in the air could make it more likely for those illnesses to spread. So far, research suggests that toilet plume could play a role in the transmission of these diseases, but that idea hasn't been conclusively proven.

Still, the idea of COVID-19 in a bathroom possibly spreading via toilet plume is definitely concerning. We do have research to suggest that particles of the coronavirus are present in feces and that, under the right circumstances, short-range airborne transmission of the virus is possible.

Be careful out there folks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 06:15 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,565 times
Some public toilets don't have covers.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:55 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Seriously? SELF magazine?

This was an urban myth that circled colleges way back when. I remember my RA telling us about this ... splash back.

Some people just embrace fear and literally can't function unless they are terrified of everything ... even toilets apparently.

I still want to know why people aren't clamoring for biohazard bins for all those contaminated face masks people use on a daily basis ... unless they are like 1 person I know who has used the same mask for 6 months ... it sits on the dashboard of his car ... really healthy

Old 08-23-2020, 08:04 AM

14,319 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I still want to know why people aren't clamoring for biohazard bins for all those contaminated face masks people use on a daily basis ... unless they are like 1 person I know who has used the same mask for 6 months ... it sits on the dashboard of his car ... really healthy
Is he healthy?

Old 08-23-2020, 09:11 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Oh boy. Now you're living dangerously, taking a dump in public.

And this can be added to the reasons for not sitting in the way back of an airplane in the row across from toilets. Not only does it stink, mostly from the harsh chemical smell of the toilet fluid every time the door is opened, but now you can worry about coronavirus toilet plumes finding you!

Old 08-23-2020, 11:23 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,996,596 times
YES, my Mom & I were talking about this just this past week & were always concerned about using public bathrooms during COVID because public bathrooms have extra germs & when you flush the toilets, microscopic droplets from the toilet spew all over. I think in all these last 5 mos, I've miraculously only had to use the public bathroom 2x, but fiance' has to use public bathrooms quite a bit when we're out there. Here are some other articles about public restrooms & COVID:

https://fortune.com/2020/08/19/covid...s-coronavirus/

https://scitechdaily.com/covid-19-wa...rying-viruses/

My whole life, I've always flushed the public toilets using my foot & I hope everyone else does that much too. I don't want to really take some tissue to touch & close a public toilet lid either. My Mom used to tell me to always flush 1st before using a public restroom as a way of cleaning out anything in the toilet, but you can't do that especially nowadays since that doubles your chances of germs flying.

The best thing to do is probably drop a little toilet tissue in the toilet before using it to prevent droplets from splashing back up on your body as a way to prevent that ripple effect. Then flush after your back's turned to get out of the bathroom stall FAST! That seems to be the best way to do it these days.

And of course keep your mask on then too. The bathroom's NOT the time to take your mask off & "take a breather".

Last edited by Forever Blue; 08-23-2020 at 11:32 AM..

Old 08-23-2020, 11:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Some public toilets don't have covers.
Very true, not to mention aren't we carrying things a bit too far or are some people just so paranoid they can' even think clearly? I don't know, but this would be the last thing I would be concerned about when it comes to COVID or any other disease that can be spread.

As friend of ours said: the next pandemic to hit us will be fear and it looks from some of he comments here it has started.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:27 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
What is the chance that someone who is positive for COVID goes into a public restroom, takes a poop, flushes, and then YOU go into the same exact stall after them, do your business and flush, and the water from the toilet leaps up onto your face through your face mask, and you somehow get inflected and then die?

Percent chance of this occurring, thanks.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:09 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
My dtr works for the CDC. She would laugh at the paranoia expressed in this thread.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:14 PM

14,319 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What is the chance that someone who is positive for COVID goes into a public restroom, takes a poop, flushes, and then YOU go into the same exact stall after them, do your business and flush, and the water from the toilet leaps up onto your face through your face mask, and you somehow get inflected and then die?

Percent chance of this occurring, thanks.
It's very, very, very low, but it's not "zero," and unless it's zero, some people are going to worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness