Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 11:52 PM

11,143 posts, read 7,909,367 times

Advertisements

Men are lucky that they don't use a speculum for prostate exams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 12:51 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,427,731 times
No. While it doesn't matter to me which gender of doctor sees my equipment (assuming that there's something wrong with it, and it has to have attention from someone), it matters what gender my doctors are. I do my best to avoid male doctors in any context, though it is not always possible. Simply put, I think the women on balance do a better job in medicine overall. I think more of them do it for the right reasons, and more of them remember their original reasons. If I know nothing else about the doctor but gender, the woman gets the nod every time.

The worst are orthopedic surgeons. If you ever find one of those who still has a soul, of whatever gender, hang onto him or her.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:57 AM

16,059 posts, read 10,655,786 times
I’m amazed that OP is making a big deal out of something that takes maybe a minute or two once a year. I’ve had both and prefer a male because the female had her nurse standing there as a chaperone watching the process — that added more time and another pair of eyes.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:13 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have a young 30 something cute lady doctor. I always joke with her when it's time for my prostrate exam.

A male or female does not matter.
I hope her nails are short, or at least one of them.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:26 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,043,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If anyone has been in the military, you may go in modest but that gets squeezed out quickly.
We had some really shy kid in our unit in BCT. He didn't shower at all. Finally the Drill Sergeants caught on to this and made him shower every day. His battle buddy was not happy about this.

Remarkably, this little shrimp made it through BCT. No idea where he is now.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:29 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,287,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I hope her nails are short, or at least one of them.
Old joke - I'd prefer that they use gloves for the sake of cleanliness - otherwise I'd question if it was a medical exam or if they were just feeling me up. And I don't think I've ever seen a female doctor with long nails anyway.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:44 AM

45,116 posts, read 60,226,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
We had some really shy kid in our unit in BCT. He didn't shower at all. Finally the Drill Sergeants caught on to this and made him shower every day. His battle buddy was not happy about this.

Remarkably, this little shrimp made it through BCT. No idea where he is now.
There's one in every class isn't there? We had one guy who felt he needed sideburns. The rest of us did additional military instruction until he decided to shave. Took a couple days but the rest of us "convinced" him shaving his sideburns was beneficial to his continued good health.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:44 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,763,018 times
There is nothing wrong with men or women being more comfortable with male or female medical staff. Whatever you are comfortable with is OK. Fortunately we can generally choose our doctors so that aspect really shouldn't be a problem. It is the nursing/tech staff where much of the time the only choice is female staff.

Yesterday I (a male) had a skin exam with a male dermatologist who didn't understand why I didn't want a female scribe and female nurse standing there watching him do the genital exam. The concept of bodily privacy apparently hadn't occurred to him.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:39 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,481,430 times
I have always had female gynos - never a male - first I make sure the female doc is highly qualified - there are plenty of them - the reason I dont want a male dr. is because a male will never know what it is to feel the way a woman does - in her private area and he will never have a breast exam - he knows nothing of what either feels like - a woman will know what I am saying.

Just like I am never going to get child rearing advice from someone with no children - they know nothing.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:15 AM

18,762 posts, read 11,757,490 times
I've been going to the same male OBGYN for over 20 years. I joked with him about how he got to see the girls grow old. He told me that I got to watch him grow old I picked him because of his reputation, not because he was male or female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness