Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 05:50 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Husband has osteo in a couple places, it is a result of injuries.

Heck, even my dogs prefer lying in their beds to the hard floor.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-30-2017, 05:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
For me it's OA.

Genetics are #1 I believe, mother's side all lived with OA

Foods, I grew up on white foods and sugary treats...some treats.

Started dancing at 12 and danced into later 50's.

Worked out in gyms for 30 some yrs and walked a lot in between gym workouts.

Those are the beginnings of this advancing OA and now I work to manage it all.

I wear substantial shoes and orthotics.

Sleep on sleep number bed and love it...cannot sleep on firm surface...not me.

These are my opinions on how I got to this.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:00 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As for mattresses, I think humans have always tried to construct a soft place for sleeping, even if it was made of leaves or straw. Drs recommend a firm mattress, not a soft one that puts your body all out of shape.

I think there are a multitude of reasons that people get osteo-arthritis. Some people are just more genetically predisposed, probably. But I think the main reasons involve putting too much weight on the joints. Obesity, running on asphalt or concrete, too much heavy lifting--that sort of thing.
Obesity, running, heavy lifting, all may cause arthritis. But misalignment is definitely a big factor also. Actually, obesity and heavy lifting may cause arthritis because first they cause misalignment.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
how are you objectively measuring your "spine health"?
You can determine your spine health mainly by how you feel. Lack of pain or tense muscles, and feeling generally balanced are signs that the spine is relatively healthy. When the spine is not healthy (when it is misaligned) pain and muscle tension can result.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I would never sleep on the floor. Too hard on my non-arthritic joints. Also dirty unless you vaccum/mop nightly.
I don't literally sleep on the floor.

And yes, it may seem hard on your joints at first, but only because you are used to soft and springy mattresses.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
For me it's OA.

Genetics are #1 I believe, mother's side all lived with OA

Foods, I grew up on white foods and sugary treats...some treats.

Started dancing at 12 and danced into later 50's.

Worked out in gyms for 30 some yrs and walked a lot in between gym workouts.

Those are the beginnings of this advancing OA and now I work to manage it all.

I wear substantial shoes and orthotics.

Sleep on sleep number bed and love it...cannot sleep on firm surface...not me.

These are my opinions on how I got to this.
I don't think you should count walking a lot as a cause of arthritis. I walk an awful lot, and in my experience it helps keep the spine balanced and therefore prevents arthritis.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Husband has osteo in a couple places, it is a result of injuries.

Heck, even my dogs prefer lying in their beds to the hard floor.
I actually have not tried the bare hard floor yet. I have 2 layers of rubber tiles, and a thin cushion (about 2 inches thick) on top of that. And I have a pillow.

Maybe some day as an experiment I will try the bare floor.

It actually has been a gradual process, of removing layers and seeing how minimal it can get and still be comfortable.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I don't think you should count walking a lot as a cause of arthritis. I walk an awful lot, and in my experience it helps keep the spine balanced and therefore prevents arthritis.
This was in between gym workouts...some times 4 to 8 miles...maybe it was all too much for my body.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:18 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I actually have not tried the bare hard floor yet. I have 2 layers of rubber tiles, and a thin cushion (about 2 inches thick) on top of that. And I have a pillow.

Maybe some day as an experiment I will try the bare floor.

It actually has been a gradual process, of removing layers and seeing how minimal it can get and still be comfortable.
That's about the same as when I moved here two months ago and slept in a sleeping bag on the carpeting. It was fine as I do not like a soft mattress. I kinda preferred it when the movers brought a bed though, lol.

I don't think a hard, rigid surface to sleep on would be good though--wouldn't that put your spine out of alignment too? Unless the person is straight as a stick but most of us are not shaped like that. We have to consider shoulders and hips if we sleep on our sides so there has to be some "give" for cushioning.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:24 PM

Forever it seems mattress sellers were forever talking FIRM and then when the Sleep Number bed hit the marketplace, they were talking about how the body needs to contour into the mattress and I find this with Sleep No. My best night's sleep probably 35 yrs ago when checking into a motel on a business trip in B.C. and all they had was a waterbed and I thought yikes, what if I can't sleep..so I took it and slept like a baby no pain in morning etc...that was after a long day on the road in cars, etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness