Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 03:28 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times

Advertisements

This will be my third experience with "the process", at age 68. I got on this path with a Hepatitis 'C' diagnosis, (since addressed successfully with Harvoni); have had one flex-sig and one "full dress" (or undress" ?) since then.

I suppose I'm a little eccentric in that at my request, I've managed to negotiate the first two procedures without any form of sedation, for the same reasoning why I can't enjoy air travel (a fear of powerlessness). We've already agreed that if any serious discomfort becomes an issue, i will be sedated, like it or not, but other than easing the 'scope around one bend on the last visit, nothing's been much of a problem so far.

The MD has also agreed to doing things at his clinic, rather than a hospital, as was the case last time. And I'll probably check into a motel the night before to do the (oral) prep, which now involves two stages rather than one -- less chance of "accidentally" ingesting something at the cost of a reschedule and a hefty fee.

So i'll be back in touch in the event of any suprises.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-06-2017 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 04:38 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Find out beforehand what you will need to do in the event they have to sedate you. You may find they will NOT allow you to take a cab or Uber home. I know the place I go (major medical center) requires you to have someone you know to take you home.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:05 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Find out beforehand what you will need to do in the event they have to sedate you. You may find they will NOT allow you to take a cab or Uber home. I know the place I go (major medical center) requires you to have someone you know to take you home.
...Yes...which certainly makes it awkward if you only have an acquaintance available and they get to hear you farting the entire time getting you home! Though I've heard you can ask (why should you have to ask?!) to get them to suction back out the gas they use to inflate your colon. Also, using CO2 rather than oxygen is supposed to help.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:37 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
...The MD has also agreed to doing things at his clinic, rather than a hospital, as was the case last time...

Is the doctor prepared to give you anesthetic in his clinic?

Old 11-06-2017, 08:53 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Is the doctor prepared to give you anesthetic in his clinic?
Those gastroenterologists who do them in their "clinic" usually have an outpatient surgery center dedicated to GI procedures. Mine does, with anesthesia available.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Those gastroenterologists who do them in their "clinic" usually have an outpatient surgery center dedicated to GI procedures. Mine does, with anesthesia available.

Yes, I realize that. I've had 5 colonoscopies and most of them were done in an outpatient surgery center owned, in part, by the doctor. But the OP said his colonoscopy will be done at the doctor's clinic, implying that's because he's chosen not to be put under anesthesia.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:43 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
To clarify things, the procedure is to be performed at an 'endoscopy center", serving four gastroenterologists, and "twilight" IV sedation will be available if needed -- to which I have previously agreed if things don't go as anticipated.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
To clarify things, the procedure is to be performed at an 'endoscopy center", serving four gastroenterologists, and "twilight" IV sedation will be available if needed -- to which I have previously agreed if things don't go as anticipated.

OK. That makes more sense than your original post which identified it as a "clinic".

Old 11-11-2017, 11:03 AM

608 posts, read 516,218 times
Quote:
This will be my third experience with "the process", at age 68. I got on this path with a Hepatitis 'C' diagnosis, (since addressed successfully with Harvoni); have had one flex-sig and one "full dress" (or undress" ?) since then.

I suppose I'm a little eccentric in that at my request, I've managed to negotiate the first two procedures without any form of sedation, for the same reasoning why I can't enjoy air travel (a fear of powerlessness). We've already agreed that if any serious discomfort becomes an issue, i will be sedated, like it or not, but other than easing the 'scope around one bend on the last visit, nothing's been much of a problem so far.

The MD has also agreed to doing things at his clinic, rather than a hospital, as was the case last time. And I'll probably check into a motel the night before to do the (oral) prep, which now involves two stages rather than one -- less chance of "accidentally" ingesting something at the cost of a reschedule and a hefty fee.

So i'll be back in touch in the event of any suprises.
I just had a colonoscopy a couple months ago. I chose to be sedated because that's one probe I would just as soon not be there to experience. I also have Hepatitis C. I am 65 and was approved for treatment recently, but I am having a heart valve replaced in about two weeks. My Cardiologist recommended that I wait until my valve is done before I start Hep C treatment. I have had the first months supply for two months now and can hardly wait to start on it. Hep C has haunted me for decades now. In twelve weeks or so I should be free of it finally. I will be taking a drug that was approved recently called Mavyret.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:07 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
My last two colonoscopies were done without sedation because sedation makes me ill. A colonoscopy without sedation is not a big deal. There was not any pain whatsoever.

I will note that for the same reason (sedation makes me ill) I had an upper endoscopy and a transesophageal echocardiogram (T.E.E.) without sedation.

The upper endoscopy was only slightly uncomfortable during the moments when the tube was being inserted. They had numbed up my throat pretty good beforehand. That doctor says he does it w/o sedation all the time when he travels to Africa for a Doctors Without Borders thing, so he and his staff knew how to do it properly w/o sedation.

The T.E.E. was uncomfortable because the doctor and his staff had never done it that way. The nurses didn't know how to numb my throat and the doctor kept putting it halfway in and then pulling it out thinking he was training my throat to accept it. Once he put it in however it wasn't a big deal. All in all it was far better than suffering the effects of sedation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness