Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 05:29 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
yeps, all of the above
Me too.

Quote:
...you'd think I'd be allowed a few vices.
Get a cute young girlfriend.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I saw this just now on ABC News. The MD on said it was aimed at earlier prevention of high blood pressure... in order to decrease after treatments, such as heart attack, a common result of hypertension, as well as stroke.

Why would the AMA care about increasing drug sales for a drug company?

[/b]
I can think of some but I can also recognize there is an epidemic of people developing high blood pressure at very early ages--children are doing it--because of bad diet choices...
The question is how will this IMPROVE the average health of Americans going forward if people don't change diets and other factors like activity levels and trends to obesity...

My first reaction was that there are now hundreds of thousands -- likely millions--of people who have automatically developed a "pre-existing condition" by this decision which will have long-term effect on their insurability...

Old 11-14-2017, 06:11 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Let's see, if I'm a marketing manager in a drug company and I need to increase sales, what might happen if I can get the AMA to set a lower limit on blood pressure?

Hmmmm.
Hypertension is really not on the radar of drug companies as much as other illnesses because there are so many generic versions of the 4 major classes of drugs that are generally used to treat it.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:19 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Hmmm. How much salt, alcohol, and caffeine are in your diet?
It’s amazing how much sodium has an impact on BP. I had HBP and started using an app to lose weight. I cut down sodium to normal levels and my BP went back to normal within three weeks, even though I was still overweight.

Fast food is the worst for sodium. If anyone is struggling with HBP reduce your sodium and see what happens.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:13 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
It’s amazing how much sodium has an impact on BP. I had HBP and started using an app to lose weight. I cut down sodium to normal levels and my BP went back to normal within three weeks, even though I was still overweight.

Fast food is the worst for sodium. If anyone is struggling with HBP reduce your sodium and see what happens.
I am very lucky that salt has no impact on my BP, as I eat it A LOT. Like tons of it.

And I cannot remember the last time my BP was higher than 110/70. It's often less.

How long until it catches up?

Old 11-14-2017, 09:30 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Saw a report that this "new" reading will require a small percentage (2%) increase in meds needed....the rest can regulate by losing wt, decreasing salt intake, alcohol, and caffeine......

Wasn't happy to see this today as I've taken random readings at times and found my numbers at about this reading.

Blood pressure of 130 is the new ‘high,’ according to update of guidelines

If you have a few readings that are high that's not a problem, it's when it is always high that it is dangerous.

Heck, I had a reading of 199/114.... how's that for high? I hauled my okole to the ER, but they didn't do anything, just told me to go to my doc to get on meds, because it was dangerous long term.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-14-2017, 09:41 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,660 times
I'm pretty skeptical about the use of blood pressure numbers to drive treatment. For one, they change dramatically all the time, especially in the elderly, possibly because people with dementia don't feel the need to drink enough fluid.

I had very low blood pressure for most of my life despite a real craving for salt (potato chips: yum!). Since correcting a heart defect that was keeping the BP abnormally low, it's been consistently about 130/80, except when I binge on potato chips or nachos. So my "low BP" would not have protected me from heart failure.

Sadly I'm with Vision67: this smells like a way to get more people seeing physicians and getting "treatments" for something that may be, at most, a minor health issue.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:46 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
With meds I am normally around 120/70. I've tried to lower my meds a couple times, but it shoots right back up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-14-2017, 09:46 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Let's see, if I'm a marketing manager in a drug company and I need to increase sales, what might happen if I can get the AMA to set a lower limit on blood pressure?
Hmmmm.
Exactly the conclusion I jumped to listening to the doctor on CBS this morning.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:48 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I saw this just now on ABC News. The MD on said it was aimed at earlier prevention of high blood pressure... in order to decrease after treatments, such as heart attack, a common result of hypertension, as well as stroke.
Why would the AMA care about increasing drug sales for a drug company?
[/b]
You left off the [sarcasm] marker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness