Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:22 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
After working with patients (and listening to friends and family talk about their health issues), I'd say drug companies are not the issue.

It's the unwillingness of people to make the commitment to healthy living.

[I'm talking about people with reversible or preventable chronic issues.]

It's easier to pop a pill, eat chips, and watch tv than fix yourself leafy green veggies everyday and run 2 miles.

I mean, face it. It really is.

I acknowledge the same feelings when I am eating broccoli..."Why the hell isn't this a hamburger with fries??!!" Or when I'm lifting weights..."Netflix just released the next season of xyz...urgh!!"

People are like any animal. All things being equal, most will take the path of least resistance if they can get away with it.

This nailed it. If people cared about their health, we wouldn't have an obesity problem. It's not like they don't KNOW fast food is bad, and ding dongs are not a breakfast food. They just don't care.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-16-2017, 06:22 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,417,117 times
What I have been saying is mostly just common sense. There is plenty of research showing the importance of exercise and diet. Yet we know that many millions of Americans ignore the research. Maybe their doctors don't tell them?

We have a severe health crisis in this country. Yet people on this forum insist on denying it, on arguing against every common sense statement I make.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I]

I am APPALLED at the current attitude that drugs are harmless, and a reasonable alternative for people who can't be bothered to change their habits.

You are appalled at stuff you make up in you own head.

Someone would have to have a mental IQ so low they the state would not allow them to live on their own to not hear the list on TV of potential side effects, the repeated question at the pharmacy if you have questions for the pharmacist, the pharmacy insert of side effects, counter indications, and interactions, AND the insert from the drug maker.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
This nailed it. If people cared about their health, we wouldn't have an obesity problem. It's not like they don't KNOW fast food is bad, and ding dongs are not a breakfast food. They just don't care.
They care, they just have been misinformed. The drug ads on TV have brainwashed people into thinking pills are magic. And a lot of medical doctors are brainwashed also.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:28 PM

37,098 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
I am APPALLED at the current attitude that drugs are harmless, and a reasonable alternative for people who can't be bothered to change their habits.
What do you suggest for people who, despite eating well and being physically active, have medical problems that can be treated with medications? Should they not take those "unnatural chemicals" and just suffer the consequences?

What do you suggest that doctors do when they have patients who do not make healthy lifestyle changes? Refuse to prescribe those "unnatural chemicals", even though they may prevent things like heart attacks, strokes, and kidney failure? Punish them for their bad choices, eh? That'll teach 'em!

By the way, the meds are cost effective. The price of treating the problems the meds prevent is higher than the cost of the drugs themselves.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You are appalled at stuff you make up in you own head.

Someone would have to have a mental IQ so low they the state would not allow them to live on their own to not hear the list on TV of potential side effects, the repeated question at the pharmacy if you have questions for the pharmacist, the pharmacy insert of side effects, counter indications, and interactions, AND the insert from the drug maker.
They must ignore those long lists of horrible side effects. For one thing, the ads usually say the side effects are rare.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
They care, they just have been misinformed. The drug ads on TV have brainwashed people into thinking pills are magic. And a lot of medical doctors are brainwashed also.

LOL. Misinformed? Most don't even go to the doc on a regular basis, they just want to eat what they want.

Again, if drug ads have brainwashed people they need to be locked up somewhere safe where they can't hurt themselves.

Seriously? Do you have an urge to take Enbrel (advertised a lot)? No? Because you are so enlightened and educated? No.

Because you don't have an autoimmune disease.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
They must ignore those long lists of horrible side effects. For one thing, the ads usually say the side effects are rare.

No, they do not say they are rare, they say the percentage those side effects have been reported.

The ads are a quick summary that seem to list the worst possibilities.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:32 PM

37,098 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
What I have been saying is mostly just common sense. There is plenty of research showing the importance of exercise and diet. Yet we know that many millions of Americans ignore the research. Maybe their doctors don't tell them?

We have a severe health crisis in this country. Yet people on this forum insist on denying it, on arguing against every common sense statement I make.
Their doctors tell them, over and over and over and over again. At some point, it becomes obvious to the doctor that discussing diet and exercise does no good. He then stops talking about it because it is a waste of time and energy.

What do you suggest be done with such patients? Refuse to give them drugs that might prevent serious diseases like heart attacks, strokes, and kidney failure?

Old 11-16-2017, 06:39 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,646,935 times
In general, most people are just woefully ignorant and believe TV hype - thinking is evidently too exhausting . . .

Common sense is not so common.

"Drugs" are rarely needed IF you have a healthy lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness