Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 04:01 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
There is never a reason to take antibiotics for a "cold"....not on day 1.....not on day 21.....

Absolutely true; however, it might not be a cold anymore at this point. I'm a perfect example that if I have a cold there's a good chance it's turning into a sinus infection, bronchitis or something else. If it's been three weeks I definitely go get it checked out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 06:44 PM

282 posts, read 232,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Absolutely true; however, it might not be a cold anymore at this point. I'm a perfect example that if I have a cold there's a good chance it's turning into a sinus infection, bronchitis or something else. If it's been three weeks I definitely go get it checked out!
"It" (the cold) isn't "turning" into something else though. I'm pretty sure you know that but there are members who read this forum who believe whatever they read on the internet, so we should be clear on their behalf.

What happens is that your immune system is suppressed as a result of already being infirm. This makes it easier for you to become infected with other illnesses such as sinus infections or "something else".

In addition, acute bronchitis actually is a chest cold. Different names for the same illness. So if you have a mild chest cold and it deepens, it's still the same cold, you're just feeling more severe symptoms of it now. That would be viral bronchitis though. Bacterial bronchitis is different and can be treated with antibiotics.

Head cold isn't likely to turn into bronchitis, just as bronchitis isn't likely to cause a sinus infection in your nose. Different virii affecting different parts of your body. But when you have one, your body is weak and immune system is suppressed, which makes it easier for you to end up with both. They're not "turning into" the other though.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:26 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Deciding whether to use an antibiotic for respiratory infections is difficult. There is no easy way to tell whether the culprit is a viral or bacterial in many cases.

Antibiotic Use in Acute Upper Respiratory Tract Infections - American Family Physician

"Differentiating between viral and bacterial rhinosinusitis is important because treatment of all cases would result in the overprescribing of antibiotics. The diagnosis of acute bacterial rhinosinusitis should not be made until symptoms have persisted for at least 10 days or after initial improvement followed by worsening of symptoms. Four symptoms are more predictive of bacterial rather than viral rhinosinusitis: purulent nasal discharge, maxillary tooth or facial pain, unilateral maxillary sinus tenderness, and worsening symptoms after initial improvement."

Chest infections are also usually viral, but symptoms lasting three weeks should prompt a visit to a doctor to rule out pneumonia.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:52 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The wheeze and vomiting is suggestive of pertussis. Has that been rule out?
Hi, Suzy. I do like your style!

No, it hasn’t been clinically ruled out yet. Historically, our county is fairly low with Pertussis rates & I haven’t seen any notifications from our Dept of Health. Although, the kids I’m aware of who are experiencing this cough are in a suspect demographic for Pertussis, due to age (immunization protection waning ages 11-18).

Colorado does still permit personal exemptions so I wouldn’t know about anyone elses immunization status but my teenagers actually have been immunized.

The cough actually sounds like a Croup vs Whooping Cough but both of those conditions are typically noted to present with wheezing during inspiration, vs the wheezing on expiration that I’m hearing.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:15 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I caught a cold almost exactly three weeks ago. I'm still coughing pretty violently and I've got a runny nose again (which could be unrelated sinus issues). Is it time to ask my doctor for antibiotics? Or should i wait it out some more? I've had a pretty high-stress year and am kind of worn out. I don't want to be sick any longer than I have to, but I also hate the idea of taking the antibiotics if I don't need them. I'm asking for opinions here because I know my doctor's office will tell me to just come in either way.
You probably have a sinus infection. I have a history with chemical irritants like bleach. I try and remember to use the saline spray in the beginning. Sure, pneumonia is also a rule-in.

Your doctor doesn't have xray vision and can't use a Magic Eight Ball to rule it out, so you'd get an xray. They can't always "hear" pneumonia once it gets tight down there.

I had a sinus infection and didn't even know it. All I had was a dripping eyeball which concerned me, then when I went into the office the exam revealed it. I then realized I had pressure in my head...like over to the ear.

I took a three day zPac and it worked like a charm.

Not to be confused with a dripping eyeball due to applying KCS eyedrops in my clients' eyes without GLOVES which I never bothered to read on the package insert and the pharmacy neglected to put on the label.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:07 AM

322 posts, read 286,201 times
My cold turned into bronchitis and a sinusitis 2 months ago so I’d get checked out. Perhaps antibiotics are in order. Or your doctor could recommend good OTC medicines. I had awful mucus and expectorants helped to thin it out.

Chicken noodle soup and liquids as well as warm tea with honey and lemon were lifesavers during that period of time!

Old 12-02-2017, 10:36 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,428,922 times
Use a Neti Pot and for the cough I recommend Fisherman's Friend. Not everyone likes the taste but it does clear out those sinuses. I do not recommend taking antibiotics. A few years back, I had the flu which developed into a terrible cough that never went away. Twice I was put on antibiotics and it seemed to help while I was taking them, however, the cough continued long after I was feeling ok otherwise. The doctors diagnosed me with asthma and bronchitis when it was really silent gerd caused by the antibiotics.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Use a Neti Pot and for the cough I recommend Fisherman's Friend. Not everyone likes the taste but it does clear out those sinuses. I do not recommend taking antibiotics. A few years back, I had the flu which developed into a terrible cough that never went away. Twice I was put on antibiotics and it seemed to help while I was taking them, however, the cough continued long after I was feeling ok otherwise. The doctors diagnosed me with asthma and bronchitis when it was really silent gerd caused by the antibiotics.
WOW. I too developed reflux symptoms after the antibiotics treatment. I had to stop my antibiotics because they made me feel horrible! Completely cleaned out all my gut bacteria and it was a high dosage. One of the later doctors that saw me said unfortunately we have a culture of antibiotics and he would not have put me on them if he was the first to see me.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:28 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingx View Post
WOW. I too developed reflux symptoms after the antibiotics treatment. I had to stop my antibiotics because they made me feel horrible! Completely cleaned out all my gut bacteria and it was a high dosage. One of the later doctors that saw me said unfortunately we have a culture of antibiotics and he would not have put me on them if he was the first to see me.
"... acute bronchitis is a condition that rarely requires antibiotics, but three quarters of patients presenting with this condition receive a prescription for antibiotics..."

(source: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/why...use-scares-me/)

"... Taking a precautionary antibiotic before a trip to the dentist isn’t necessary for most people and, in fact, might do more harm than good, according to updated recommendations from the American Heart Association. ...The revised guidelines are based on a growing body of scientific evidence that shows that the risks of taking preventive antibiotics outweigh the benefits for most patients. The risks include adverse reactions to antibiotics and, more significantly, the development of drug-resistant bacteria...."

"Patients and their families should ask careful questions of their doctors and dentists anytime antibiotics are suggested before a medical or dental procedure."

(source: https://www.deltadentalins.com/oral_...tibiotics.html)

The last few times I've had antibiotics include: to eliminate the chance that a run of elevated PSA scores was the result of prostatitis, after a prostate biopsy, after gall bladder surgery, after a diagnosis of pneumonia (I was told I was a few days away from going to the hospital). I think that's about it.

There are good reasons for antibiotics -- but patients need to talk to their doctors. I never take anything or let it be injected in my body without asking questions. And if you start antibiotics, for God's sake finish what you've been prescribed. From the Science Based Medicine article:

"... At home, patients are their own doctors and the opportunity for education and intervention is lost. This is where much of the consumer-created damage leading to antibiotic resistance occurs. Patients feel better and stop their antibiotic course halfway through. Patients suffering from a simple common cold prescribe themselves their sister-in-law’s expired Z-Pak. Patients take expired drugs or reduced doses.

There is a significant knowledge barrier between patients and the responsible use of antibiotics. And that barrier is larger in some places than others. ..."

Stopping antibiotics because you feel better is a really really bad idea. Read the whole article to understand why.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
"... acute bronchitis is a condition that rarely requires antibiotics, but three quarters of patients presenting with this condition receive a prescription for antibiotics..."

(source: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/why...use-scares-me/)

"... Taking a precautionary antibiotic before a trip to the dentist isn’t necessary for most people and, in fact, might do more harm than good, according to updated recommendations from the American Heart Association. ...The revised guidelines are based on a growing body of scientific evidence that shows that the risks of taking preventive antibiotics outweigh the benefits for most patients. The risks include adverse reactions to antibiotics and, more significantly, the development of drug-resistant bacteria...."

"Patients and their families should ask careful questions of their doctors and dentists anytime antibiotics are suggested before a medical or dental procedure."

(source: https://www.deltadentalins.com/oral_...tibiotics.html)

The last few times I've had antibiotics include: to eliminate the chance that a run of elevated PSA scores was the result of prostatitis, after a prostate biopsy, after gall bladder surgery, after a diagnosis of pneumonia (I was told I was a few days away from going to the hospital). I think that's about it.

There are good reasons for antibiotics -- but patients need to talk to their doctors. I never take anything or let it be injected in my body without asking questions. And if you start antibiotics, for God's sake finish what you've been prescribed. From the Science Based Medicine article:

"... At home, patients are their own doctors and the opportunity for education and intervention is lost. This is where much of the consumer-created damage leading to antibiotic resistance occurs. Patients feel better and stop their antibiotic course halfway through. Patients suffering from a simple common cold prescribe themselves their sister-in-law’s expired Z-Pak. Patients take expired drugs or reduced doses.

There is a significant knowledge barrier between patients and the responsible use of antibiotics. And that barrier is larger in some places than others. ..."

Stopping antibiotics because you feel better is a really really bad idea. Read the whole article to understand why.
I had bacterial bronchitis so I was on antibiotics. I only went off the antibiotics because my doctor told me to...they were causing negative side effects and my doctor said I was clear anyways. I don’t take risks with my health like that. My first doctor also made me stop taking my Z-pak and start on another antibiotic Augmentin the highest dose. I had to stop that because my side effects were bad and another doctor told me to stop. So it’s not like in either of these situations I was not speaking to my physicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness