Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 12:56 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Anyone get to a point of recognizing an addiction to their smartphone? Did you try giving it up or somehow severely limiting your time on it per day?

It seems like most of us are totally immersed in something at all times. There’s never a dull moment to be left with your thoughts when the smartphone is by your side. Waiting 20 minutes at the DMV...hop on Facebook. Walking 200 feet from the produce section cereal isle...check some emails. Ohhhh, was that a ding? Maybe I have a text!!! Visiting the parents, but not really into the conversation...check out the specs on the new iPhone or browse through Tinder.

Those that are addicted probably know the routine. It’s pretty easy to spot addicts because they are always looking at a phone no matter what’s going on.

I remember my time before electronics and time seemed to pass by slower, there were details in the world I noticed more and emotions I had to deal with and think about rather than burying my head into a phone.

So have any addicts overcome the addiction? Give up phones completely (yeah, it sounds scary)? Did you switch to a dumb phone? Perhaps find the willpower to limit yourself to no more than say 30 minutes phone use per day?

I think I’ve reached a saturation point with knowing about others. I sorta have an itch to know who I’ll be with limited influence from the outside world.
I have been debating whether to get a smartphone. I am trying to make friends, make good connections with like minded people. But I know your feeling. I go visit my sister and her 3 kids (And their children) and they usually are on the phone. That's what stops me....But for directions, music and other things, it is really useful, coupons and such....It's like having 4 pounds of choclate beside you and only taking a pice a day....Few can resist taking more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 03:39 PM

383 posts, read 399,893 times
Once I retire, it won't be a problem. My email will go to zero, texts will go to less than a few a week. What is really getting me is the news. I turned it off in favor of classical music.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
My phone is my computer and entertainment device. I shop on it, take pictures on it and listen to English History documentaries while I cut fabric for the latest creation. I also use it to do my genealogy. I play Fishdom.

I also text and check Facebook. My family is across the country, and it’s how we keep up.

I use my phone so much that I have to charge it a couple of times a day(but the new IOS is apparently a battery drainer).

But I’m not addicted. If I weren’t on the phone, relaxed on the sofa, I’d be bent over the laptop. We live in a computer age. There are a lot of things we do on the computer. The phone makes it much more convenient.

But you are right. If someone has a tendency to abuse a computer and become addicted, a smartphone will make it much more easier.

However, I’ve witnessed changes in my family. A scale back. The phone gets carried in a pocket or purse, or put down where you would put your keys. My niece and nephew and their spouses? Have all started wearing watches. That eliminates that “what time is it?” phone check that turns into minutes while you answer people’s texts.

And texts aren’t treated like Royal Summons. If I text a family member, they’ll get back to me. Eventually. If it’s hell fired important, I should call anyway.

I do however think it’s highly amusing that we’re complaining about smart phones, shen most people are actually accessing the site via a smart phone.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:34 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
For me I'm on here via a 19" monitor, can't imagine squinting my eyes to be on this forum on a smartphone screen.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:46 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
For me I'm on here via a 19" monitor, can't imagine squinting my eyes to be on this forum on a smartphone screen.
HA! I had to do that in Aug/Sept when I was moving and was always on the road or without internet at the new place. I had to try to read this forum on my phone! Thank goodness for other mods who look in when the regular mod can't be at 100%.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:11 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,578,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

I do however think it’s highly amusing that we’re complaining about smart phones, shen most people are actually accessing the site via a smart phone.
Where does the idea come from that most people are accessing City-Data forums using a smart phone or cell phone? Do we have statistics on that?

I assumed many people are accessing City-Data using a laptop computer or desktop computer, even if they use a smart phone to access City-Data at times.

I use an Apple MacBook laptop computer 13 inch. I would not access CD using a smart phone.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:54 AM

3,778 posts, read 5,324,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Anyone get to a point of recognizing an addiction to their smartphone? Did you try giving it up or somehow severely limiting your time on it per day?
I still have a dumb phone. Can only call or text. No pictures. No music. No internet. I get maybe one call and two texts a day. Plenty of time to get my work done and sit alone with my thoughts whilst my colleagues are glued to their "smart" phones.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:09 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,018 times
Just got our first smartphones - at age, well, let's just say we are long retired.

I am definitely not going to put FB or any forums on mine. Hubby has not figured out how to turn his on yet.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:58 AM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Laptop here. The ONLY time I attempt CD on my phone is when I can't sleep and have run out of FB posts. Other than that, it's too small.

I also can't imaging doing genealogy on a phone! I've done historical research using Ancestry and Family Search and would never ever want to attempt that on a phone. Too much info on a small screen.

I'm a mod on a FB group and when I get a request to join the group, I can see more info about that person on a desktop than I do on the phone - like the groups they are already in, without going to their profile. So I will rarely approve someone without checking them out on a desktop first.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:32 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
Once I retire, it won't be a problem. My email will go to zero, texts will go to less than a few a week. What is really getting me is the news. I turned it off in favor of classical music.
This!! I'm retired and use a flip phone that serves to make calls when necessary and I take the phone with me when driving in case of an emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness