Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:44 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times

Advertisements

Yeah, back problems are some of the hardest to recover from.

I hurt my back about 25 years ago, lower back and surrounding nerves........yes, it is still screwed up. Tingling, numbness and sometimes pain in the arms and down the back of the legs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 06:57 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,150,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
What kind of doctor diagnosed the pinched nerve? GP, osteo, neurologist, orthopedic or something else?
Rhumetologist,MD dagnosed pinched nerve. But I also understand that meds prescribed are used for fibro patients.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:27 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
A pinched nerve can cause intense pain in the arm or hand....been there...done that! It's usually because a muscle is in spasm...it can take a couple weeks for it to release. I've found a couple days of muscle relaxants with some moist heat will help...but it's not a "cure". Once you get over the intense pain...it will go away eventually....takes a while, though.
I don't like they way relaxants make me feel...I get "bitchy" when I'm on them for more than 2-3 days....but by then, the acute pain has passed....and I can use advil or Aleve...something like that.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:02 PM

479 posts, read 431,697 times
Numbness in the hand is often due to neck issues, like narrowing of the neck vertebra (cv) (spinal stenosis) where the nerves are, or bone spurs on the cv can also cause numbness. Xrays will show bone spurs, but I believe you'd need an MRI for a stenosis diagnosis.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:32 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, back problems are some of the hardest to recover from.

I hurt my back about 25 years ago, lower back and surrounding nerves........yes, it is still screwed up. Tingling, numbness and sometimes pain in the arms and down the back of the legs.
Have you, or anybody else, tried the Aleve Direct Therapy Wireless TENS device: https://www.target.com/p/aleve-direc...&gclsrc=aw.ds? I am just curious; I picked one up for my wife but it has a precaution to check with her doctor first if she was on pain therapy. I am desperate to get her help. She will get another cortisone injection Tuesday - but she had mixed feelings about how effective the first injection was for the pain she suffers.

Cortisone injections are another topic that should be discussed. How many felt long lasting relief compare to how many felt no relief? Several people, over the years, told me that the injections were helpful in the beginning; but were less effective with time.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:10 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastie View Post
Numbness in the hand is often due to neck issues, like narrowing of the neck vertebra (cv) (spinal stenosis) where the nerves are, or bone spurs on the cv can also cause numbness. Xrays will show bone spurs, but I believe you'd need an MRI for a stenosis diagnosis.
I woke up one morning with extremely sore and with a shocking sensation down my arm that zapped me off and on throughout the day. I just thought I slept wrong, or tweaked something doing planks. After a few days of not being able to sleep because of the pain shooting down my arm and into my fingers, I went to a doctor.

It was a long road, I had a nerve test done, I wore a wrist splint, I finally went in for an MRI and found out that I have spinal stenosis. I had started Physical Therapy to help, but I was still uncomfortable at night and especially on medium to long car trips. I bought a special cervical pillow, and that seemed to help a little.

I did one cortisone shot into my neck, but it didn't help. After everything was said and done I felt the most relief from the physical therapy, which I just started doing the exercises I was taught at home and stopped going in, and from my new pillow.

May 1st is when I initially started feeling pain and it wasn't until the end of November that I felt 100% better. I know it's only a matter of time until things flare up again, but I'm trying to avoid surgery as long as possible, I'm only 39.

I know how uncomfortable and painful it can be. If you can get an MRI I suggest you do so you can know what your dealing with and how to go about treatment.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:12 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,150,696 times
I do have spinal stenosis, in the lower portion of my back. I will get the upper back checked out. The weather affects my syptoms so much!

Mid September to some where around may are the worse. I try to stretch , excercises, light yoga, diet, but I don't always feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness