Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 10:52 AM

369 posts, read 353,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Write on his palm in marking ink: Take Xanax First/Alcohol Second.

This will save him from brain damage and coma if he forgets and tries to take a few Xanax when he is at the alcohol limit.

Beyond that, there is nothing you can do.

You're right. He is a grown man, I can't live his life for him. He is now living in a ditch in a tent. Just wanted better for him. All I have done was care and try to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 11:49 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,557,815 times
Benzos have their "little" place as I was introduced to them in the ER when I had a panic attack years ago. Then I kept getting them filled and found myself taking 1/2mg almost daily. Then I found info on how the brain is being damaged from these benzos and LONG TERM use. So I'm off them but have kept some tabs for a just in case time.

Tabbychic, sorry about your brother's life choice.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:14 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,052,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
Has been off it and tapered off in the hospital 2 times. This idiot doctor started him back on these damn pills again and now he can't function at all. This is why I am frustrated. They are MAKING him an addict.

Wow, I'm really sorry. It has to be hard to watch That's really awful of the doctor to do. We have an older doctor around here known for the same thing, he will give benzos to anybody who asks. You can go in, say "sometimes I feel nervous" and he will write you up a script.

I have a script for panic disorder and while I am responsible with my usage, I will notice I start taking it more at times. Even at my low dose, taken as needed, I have felt myself slip to where it was almost a daily thing. It works great for panic attacks, but it's highly addictive and shouldn't be messed with unless absolutely needed. While it's helped me function, keep my job etc, I sometimes wish I had never been given a script for them. Luckily for me, my doctor is very motivated to find a better long-term solution.

I hope things get better for him

Old 12-18-2017, 01:33 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,177,452 times
I'm sorry OP, my sister was a benzo addict, 20-25 pills a day. She had nine physicians writing her scripts. She was smart, educated, and crafty. She is dead now, the pills won. Addicts don't respect how illogical their choices are only that their substance of choice is the most important thing to them, it is their reason for living.

And yes on Xanax or valium for the dentist. Many ppl can't get numb unless relaxed, it just doesn't work that well.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:38 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,557,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
I'm sorry OP, my sister was a benzo addict, 20-25 pills a day. She had nine physicians writing her scripts. She was smart, educated, and crafty. She is dead now, the pills won. Addicts don't respect how illogical their choices are only that their substance of choice is the most important thing to them, it is their reason for living.

And yes on Xanax or valium for the dentist. Many ppl can't get numb unless relaxed, it just doesn't work that well.
So sorry about the loss of your sister. These drugs can and do kill. There are many alt supps one can work with to relaxing before dentistry. I take some of these alts for my sleep.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:41 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,177,452 times
Thank you jam.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:06 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,666,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
Has been off it and tapered off in the hospital 2 times. This idiot doctor started him back on these damn pills again and now he can't function at all. This is why I am frustrated. They are MAKING him an addict.

I would report the doctor for sure! I went to the doctor for extreme anxiety I was having due to my mother having a heart attack and within a few weeks later my husband was in a horrific car accident. I had two small children and it was too much for me to handle. My doctor gave me TEN Xanax pills and told me to come see him when they were done and he would re-evaluate me. When I went back I was still under stress, but he told me he was not going to refill it because it's highly addictive, He told me to exercise and do some breathing exercises at night to help me relax. All I all I was ok, but most doctors are not going to keep refilling Xanax. They'll put you on something else less addictive if needed.

Doctors are also prescribing Opiods like Vicodin for things that they should not be prescribing them for and it is also causing addictions. My SIL was prescribed them for arthritis pain! I told her that arthritis is inflammation and she needs an anti-inflammatory for that, not Vicodin! These doctors are enabling the addictions and it's sad!

On a side note, I can see why Xanax is so addicting. I slept fantastic when taking it, but I only took it at night because it knocked me out. Had I took it during the day I wouldn't have been able to function!

Old 12-21-2017, 12:42 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,392,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
These doctors are enabling the addictions and it's sad!
It's borderline criminal in many cases where the opiods should not be prescribed. That in conjunction with big pharma that just keeps producing more and more is what caused the crisis we are in now. One you are addicted to these pills it is very difficult to get off of them just like the Xanax. I never hear the aspect of production mentioned in the news. That and the doctors is at the root of the problems.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:00 PM

22,844 posts, read 18,124,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's borderline criminal in many cases where the opiods should not be prescribed. That in conjunction with big pharma that just keeps producing more and more is what caused the crisis we are in now. One you are addicted to these pills it is very difficult to get off of them just like the Xanax. I never hear the aspect of production mentioned in the news. That and the doctors is at the root of the problems.
OK, we all hear and know there are unscrupulous MDs who misuse their power of prescription. We hear and know that evil pharma cos contribute to the problem. If you are so disconnected that its news to you well, can't help you there. What makes me angry in these discussions is removing the PATIENT from the blame game. Unless someone happens to have no discerning brain or personal will, or has other mental disabilities such as the OP's brother (yes, I am super sympathetic, believe me) people prescribed these meds for legitimate pain (such as after surgery and issued a properly limited script) are partly responsible for the crisis.

I can recall being prescribed opioid meds after major surgery as well as for serious injuries following a head on car crash. I have also used anti-anxiety meds a few times over the years. My prescriptions were small with no refills. I was always warned about proper use of them and switching to something less dangerous (like an NSAID or regular aspirin) as soon as possible. Did I follow that advice? OF COURSE! Did I ever ask for or need refills for pain? NO. Did I hurt? YES. Most of the time my original prescription sat unfinished in the medicine cabinet, eventually flushed. Same for the anti-anxiety meds. I might have kept a few pills "just in case", but again, use my own brain to warn myself about the consequences. Once the prescription expired, they were pitched.

I'm sure someone will accuse me of being heartless and judgmental by saying this, but really, you have a backbone....use it even if it does sting.

If you are prescribed a potent medication it is your responsibility to understand and accept your part in it. If you choose to abuse a drug that is your choice. Just because some profit-hungry MD will indulge you doesn't remove you from the equation. Society loves a victim, and to pass the blame onto anything other than their own behavior, especially something nebulous that can't really be pinned down to one specific villain. This crisis fits the bill as so many others do. Yes, there is blame, but it is shared by all involved.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-21-2017 at 04:52 PM..

Old 12-21-2017, 09:24 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,690,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post

On a side note, I can see why Xanax is so addicting. I slept fantastic when taking it, but I only took it at night because it knocked me out. Had I took it during the day I wouldn't have been able to function!
My 83-year-old MIL takes 3 or 4 a day, can't remember, but I'm pretty sure it's 4. It doesn't seem to impair her functioning but admittedly, her functioning isn't much these days, just sitting around. Her doc says that she is already at the maximum dosage for her age and that really most doctors wouldn't prescribe it for someone her age. But since it doesn't impair her, he lets her have it. She is the most anxious person I have ever known...and with the way she is, and all that has happened in her life in the past 10 years, I don't know how she would have made it without having a "nervous breakdown", as they used to call it. I don't know what they call it now.

My husband has to dole it out to her day by day though, to keep her from taking "just a little extra" because she's upset or sad or worried or "in a fix". Which is all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness