Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 01:22 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times

Advertisements

Anti-biotics should NEVER be skipped.

I have a weekly pill minder box that I keep on the kitchen counter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 02:37 PM

23,269 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have diabetes, high blood pressure and had very mild heart attack almost 2 years ago. Some nights I get in bed and then remember I forgot to take my evening meds- Since I'm still using a wheelchair after breaking both legs in August, it is a big hassle to get back in the wheelchair and get my sleepy, lazy butt to the bathroom where I keep my meds. This happens about once every 10 days. A bunch of my meds are OTC so I'm not too worried about them. A few I have to take in the morning but the rest are recommended at night.
Because you are in the wheelchair (hopefully not too much longer! ) maybe a simple solution is to keep a dose or two of the more important meds on your bedside table along with water. That way if you do forget you can take them more easily once you remember. No worrying about which ones will matter more or less.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:40 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Start using a pill dispenser (Mon. Tues. etc) and keep it by your bed...I do this so I won't forget...have one for day, one for night, one for pain meds.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:40 PM

130,127 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Because you are in the wheelchair (hopefully not too much longer! ) maybe a simple solution is to keep a dose or two of the more important meds on your bedside table along with water. That way if you do forget you can take them more easily once you remember. No worrying about which ones will matter more or less.

exactly, I keep my weekly box on my bedside table. I get the pillboxes at dollar tree, they are great, & have am & Pm slots.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:49 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Start using a pill dispenser (Mon. Tues. etc) and keep it by your bed...I do this so I won't forget...have one for day, one for night, one for pain meds.
I do the same thing, but it's not by my bed.

WOMAN, do what needs to be done so you don't skip doses, or inconvenience yourself too much. Put them in multiple locations. Take care of yourself.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-20-2017, 04:02 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Since I take multiple meds, I keep them in weekly minders. One for AM (thyroid to be taken on an empty stomach) one for after-breakfast meds, and one for bedtime. After I've done the supper dishes, I put the bedtime meds in a small cup and put it next to the bed. Since I take a drink with me when I retire, the meds and drink are convenient.

It is a lot simpler to fill the pill-holders once a week than to open multiple bottles every time I need to take meds.

Please remove the containers from the bathroom. The heat/humidity is not recommended.

Hope you'll be back on your feet before long.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:42 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
The OP didn't ask how to keep track of whether she(?) took them or not, she asked about how dangerous it might be.

The effects of many modern drugs are not dependent on taking each one at an exact time, on a rigorous schedule, their action is based on having a particular level built up in the bloodstream over time. Drugs have a 'half-life', based on the amount of time it takes for your body to process and excrete (or modify) the active ingredient.

Most medications taken for common ailments do not have an 'instantaneous' effect, unlike some drugs used for anesthetization, etc. The amount of active ingredient (in milligrams, generally) and the time schedule for taking them is designed to build up a [relatively] stable level in the bloodstream, based on the half-life of the active ingredient(s).

Missing a single dose is not likely to result in significant adverse effects as long as the schedule is resumed as soon as possible afterward. If you miss a dose, the amount of active ingredient in the bloodstream will decline, but probable not to a catastrophic level. The proper dosage is calculated according to the half-life of the active ingredient and the results of a missed dose or extra dose will result in a more gradual decrease or increase in the available level of the drug in the bloodstream. In most cases, this will be calculated so that a single missed (or extra) dose will not have a significant effect.

It should not be particularly dangerous to miss a single dose, in many situations. For example, I take Losartan for high blood pressure, if I miss a single dose it will result in a decline in the level of the active ingredient, but not so much as to make it a dangerous thing. Resuming normal dosage as soon as possible afterward will smooth it out.

However, you should *try* to maintain the dosage schedule as closely as possible. In my case, I usually keep a quantity of my medication available in three locations- kitchen, side-table in the TV room, and at bedside. If I forget to get it in the kitchen, and I remember it while watching TV, it's there. If I forget both of those, and remember after I get into bed, it's there.

Do whatever it takes to have your medication(s) available when and where you might need them, depending on your particular circumstances, in order to [try to] prevent missed doses. But, if you should happen to miss a dose, it should not be particularly dangerous as long as you get back on schedule as soon as possible afterward.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:53 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
The OP didn't ask how to keep track of whether she(?) took them or not, she asked about how dangerous it might be.

The effects of many modern drugs are not dependent on taking each one at an exact time, on a rigorous schedule, their action is based on having a particular level built up in the bloodstream over time. Drugs have a 'half-life', based on the amount of time it takes for your body to process and excrete (or modify) the active ingredient.

Most medications taken for common ailments do not have an 'instantaneous' effect, unlike some drugs used for anesthetization, etc. The amount of active ingredient (in milligrams, generally) and the time schedule for taking them is designed to build up a [relatively] stable level in the bloodstream, based on the half-life of the active ingredient(s).

Missing a single dose is not likely to result in significant adverse effects as long as the schedule is resumed as soon as possible afterward. If you miss a dose, the amount of active ingredient in the bloodstream will decline, but probable not to a catastrophic level. The proper dosage is calculated according to the half-life of the active ingredient and the results of a missed dose or extra dose will result in a more gradual decrease or increase in the available level of the drug in the bloodstream. In most cases, this will be calculated so that a single missed (or extra) dose will not have a significant effect.

It should not be particularly dangerous to miss a single dose, in many situations. For example, I take Losartan for high blood pressure, if I miss a single dose it will result in a decline in the level of the active ingredient, but not so much as to make it a dangerous thing. Resuming normal dosage as soon as possible afterward will smooth it out.

However, you should *try* to maintain the dosage schedule as closely as possible. In my case, I usually keep a quantity of my medication available in three locations- kitchen, side-table in the TV room, and at bedside. If I forget to get it in the kitchen, and I remember it while watching TV, it's there. If I forget both of those, and remember after I get into bed, it's there.

Do whatever it takes to have your medication(s) available when and where you might need them, depending on your particular circumstances, in order to [try to] prevent missed doses. But, if you should happen to miss a dose, it should not be particularly dangerous as long as you get back on schedule as soon as possible afterward.

Missing some medications can be very dangerous. Blood sugar and blood pressure can elevate to critical levels if a dose is missed. Missing a statin, OTOH wouldn't cause a problem.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:15 PM

3,506 posts, read 762,925 times
i skip my synthroid for underactive thyroid regularly and i dont see any negative affects from it .. it takes months for the symptoms to re appear ..

Old 12-26-2017, 05:11 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
Keep your evening meds in your night table and you can take them once you’re settled in bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness