Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 08:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

I have diabetes, high blood pressure and had very mild heart attack almost 2 years ago. Some nights I get in bed and then remember I forgot to take my evening meds- Since I'm still using a wheelchair after breaking both legs in August, it is a big hassle to get back in the wheelchair and get my sleepy, lazy butt to the bathroom where I keep my meds. This happens about once every 10 days. A bunch of my meds are OTC so I'm not too worried about them. A few I have to take in the morning but the rest are recommended at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 09:14 PM

628 posts, read 695,571 times
No harm meant! Call your Pharmacy ( they know more about your medicine than the Doc many times) Ask to speak to the Pharmacist( Not the clerk or Pharmacy assistant.)tell Pharmacist meds you missed.
Keep your med by your bedside table in an insulated bag unless it says differently ( I do ) You have to make it EASY for yourself. Set the alarm to wake you up the time you are supposed to take medicine. The next time you see your Doc ask him if you can change the time you take meds. Works for me! Good Luck!

Last edited by MegaJoy; 12-19-2017 at 09:28 PM..

Old 12-19-2017, 10:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Depends on what you're skipping. I get tired and skip some, like protection for my kidneys but I don't have kidney problems, just a precaution by doc. I skip the hormone I take for hair growth and Vit D3. I don't skip Prilosec, Zoloft, Primadone, Latanoprost eye drops, Flonase, diabetes meds. I have learned the hard way what I can skip now and then.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:34 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
All medicines have a what to do if you miss a dose section in the literature.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-20-2017, 05:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Depends on what you're skipping. I get tired and skip some, like protection for my kidneys but I don't have kidney problems, just a precaution by doc. I skip the hormone I take for hair growth and Vit D3. I don't skip Prilosec, Zoloft, Primadone, Latanoprost eye drops, Flonase, diabetes meds. I have learned the hard way what I can skip now and then.
What do you take for hair growth? I tried Biotin but all it did was give me nails like weapons.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:35 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Meds shouldn't be kept in the bathroom - keep them where you'll be when you need to take them - mine are mostly at bedtime/ morning so mine are on my bedstand. Get a pill dispenser and lay them out weekly - this will help remind you as well as letting you see if you've skipped a dose. You can also get alarm apps for your phone or if you don't have a smartphone you can get dispensers that have physical alarms built in.

You can look up your meds online to find out the effects of missing a dose for each med individually - some will say to take as soon as you remember and others to just wait until your next dose.

Make it as easy as possible to take your meds - I didn't like getting a pill dispenser because it made me feel old but it helps a lot - makes me more mindful - and also prevents you from taking extra doses ("just in case") which can be just as bad for you.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:05 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Missing Once, generally not a big deal. Routinely, as you indicate, bad news.

But it depends on the meds... as mentioned above, call the pharmacy where they were filled and ask for a Pharmacist for a quick drug question (it's part of their job, you were asked if you wanted counseling at the time it was filled, perhaps even signed a waver saying you didn't want it). That will be the absolute fastest, easier and most sure way of knowing.

Yes, while that info is freely available, INTERACTIONS are not. Some drugs work together, skip one at night and take the other in the morning may not provide you the best (or any) results.

And as said, the bathroom is the Worst place in the house to keep drugs. Humidity is not their friend. Kitchen (but not in the fridge unless specified, and never over/near the stove) is usually the best. If you're in a wheel chair, then having a pill-minder with a few extras that stays with the chair would be the smart move. It's what I ended up doing while on crutches for 3 months with a full leg cast, kept the important stuff with me. The other option is to set an alarm (phone or watch) to go off before bed as a reminder to take those meds.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:48 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
I've put reminder post-its on the lower edge of my computer monitor and on the coffeemaker.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:35 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Blood pressure and blood sugar medications shouldn't be skipped. I was forgetting also, so I developed a new system. I put the pills in a shallow clear cup after I clean up the kitchen or empty the dishwasher. If it is around 8pm or later, I just take the pills then. If it is earlier, I put the pills on my bathroom counter and take them before I go to bed. For me, having them in a clear cup helps because I actually see the pills and don't overlook them.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:55 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have diabetes, high blood pressure and had very mild heart attack almost 2 years ago. Some nights I get in bed and then remember I forgot to take my evening meds- Since I'm still using a wheelchair after breaking both legs in August, it is a big hassle to get back in the wheelchair and get my sleepy, lazy butt to the bathroom where I keep my meds. This happens about once every 10 days. A bunch of my meds are OTC so I'm not too worried about them. A few I have to take in the morning but the rest are recommended at night.
One possible solution to missing meds would be to set an alarm/reminder on your smartphone. As someone else mentioned, you could also keep them at bedside in a daily pill reminder box. Or, do both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness