Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 06:32 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,702,884 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I need some advice or just to see if anyone has heard of this or have gone through this before!

At 38 I started missing periods and was told I was going through perimenopause. Thought it was very strange as early menopause does not run in my family. All the tests pointed to it though (high FSH levels, etc). I already had kids and didn't plan on having anymore so that was fine. After a year and a half of completely NOT getting a period I had an ultrasound to confirm everything was good. My lining was thin as it should be. I was told by my doctor that if I was to ever start to bleed I need to come in right away because it could be a sign of a problem as I was now post menopausal.

So here I am at 43, have not had a period for THREE years and I got a period. A regular, normal 5 day period! The only thing not normal about it is I had no cramps, but I did have bloating beforehand and I was emotional a few days leading up to it. We had since moved to another state so I found a doctor ASAP. I explained my entire situation. They did a Pap and sent me for an ultrasound sounds (a TVU and a regular one). I just had my follow up appointment and everything came back normal! I'm happy that there's nothing wrong, but what the heck is going on? The doctor said that within 3-4 years of someone going into menopause as early as I did sometimes their ovaries can reactivate on their own. WHAT? I have NEVER heard of that in my life!! She said she was not going to jump the gun and do a biopsy yet since my tests were normal, but she wants to redo the ultrasounds in 3 months and re-evaluate then.

So after doing some research I have read a few articles where this has happened, but I still feel very uneasy about the whole situation. I want to make sure that the doctor isn't missing something that could be life threatening. I have never taken conventional HRT as I have a heart condition (VSD repair) and my cardiologist said no to it. I did take a natural Progesterone cream at the beginning, but quit early on as my menopause symptoms were better without. The only medication I take is Lipitor and I do take Melatonin at night before bed to help me sleep. I'm also normal weight. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before. Should I wait till March and see what happens? Should I go and get a second opinion now?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 06:44 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
OP, you don't mention other menopause symptoms, like: hot flashes, difficulty sleeping and/or anxiety, mood swings leading up to the time when your period stopped at 38.

You don't do a lot of sports, so you have normal body fat? Sometimes the period can stop, when a woman has a very low percentage of body fat, due to sports training, like Olympic runners, and that sort of thing. Anorexia can cause that, too, but you say you're a normal weight.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:07 PM

6,079 posts, read 4,444,164 times
I've known a lot of women who go through a lot of hormonal things in their 30s. It's almost like there's something in the middle between puberty and menopause. Your situation sounds unusual, but the truth is that menopause is not an event, it's a process that takes time, and hormone levels go up and down while it's happening. So while it's uncommon, if everything is normal and you feel well, I'd say try not to drive yourself crazy about it.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you don't mention other menopause symptoms, like: hot flashes, difficulty sleeping and/or anxiety, mood swings leading up to the time when your period stopped at 38.

You don't do a lot of sports, so you have normal body fat? Sometimes the period can stop, when a woman has a very low percentage of body fat, due to sports training, like Olympic runners, and that sort of thing. Anorexia can cause that, too, but you say you're a normal weight.
Hi Ruth, the Perimenopause started at 38. I did have hot flashes at night only, very irritable and I did gain about 20lbs in the last few years (which I'm assuming was due to all of this). I was not underweight prior. After gaining the 20lbs I started really watching what I ate and started exercising more, but not excessive. Maybe 20-30 minutes 3-4 days a week. I go back and fourth losing and gaining about 6 lbs. At any rate I'm not thin, but not obese. I'm 5'1 and currently 150lbs, so I correct my original statement with I need to lose a few pounds, but I don't think weight is the issue here. I would like to be 130lbs like I was prior to all of this, but the weight is a struggle to lose and keep off! I also have trouble sleeping. Most of the symptoms have stopped at age 40 when the periods completely stopped, except trouble sleeping, I still have some problems with that, but not as bad as before.

I also have my bloodwork done every year and everything is normal including my thyroid.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:30 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,681,366 times
Everyone is different. Menopause hits everyone differently. Some go through the symptoms early in their 30's. Some don't notice a thing.

The bleeding you had seems like it was a normal type for a period. Who knows, maybe your body was cleaning itself out. It's when it's bright red blood and clots, never ending bleeding -- Sign of a fibroid tumor. And no, those aren't bad, they're not cancerous, they are quite common but still awful to go through. But obviously that wasn't what you had.

I do think with the hormones in our food and our water supply and being exposed to various pollutants that all those play a role in women's health. That and the birth control we ingest - It's got to impact our health. Anyway, the bottom line is you did everything you can to see if anything is wrong and all the tests came back fine. That should relieve your mind.

You could go on a menopause forum. . . I'm sure they're out there. .. If you have more concerns. If not, just relax and live your life and if you have troubles again, write down what you notice that's odd or unusual and bring your notes with you to the doctor.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,926,720 times
Did the doctor tell you if you could still get pregnant? That is a worry in my book. I started having some irregularities at 40 when my only bio child was only 5 years old. Diagnosis was perimenopause which lasted till I was 47 and out of desperation started on Premarin which almost killed me. Be very careful with HRT. Wondering if doc recommended BC pills if only to get regular periods again. I think I would seek a second opinion.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Did the doctor tell you if you could still get pregnant? That is a worry in my book. I started having some irregularities at 40 when my only bio child was only 5 years old. Diagnosis was perimenopause which lasted till I was 47 and out of desperation started on Premarin which almost killed me. Be very careful with HRT. Wondering if doc recommended BC pills if only to get regular periods again. I think I would seek a second opinion.
She said most likely no due to all test showing I'm still menopausal. My DH had a vasectomy so if I get pregnant then it's really some kind of miracle! As stated above I can't do HRT. I haven't been on BC in 7 years. I won't go back on the pill.

My main concerns are....

1. Making sure I don't have cancer that they haven't detected yet.

2. Getting regular periods again and then going through menopause again later with symptoms starting all over again (since they were almost gone prior to this).

3. Constantly worrying somethings wrong.

4. Constantly going through (and paying for tests) to determine if anything is abnormal.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 PM

274 posts, read 236,375 times
A friend of mine went through something similar. Her cycles stopped in her late thirties, and then in her forties, she had a period, quickly followed by a pregnancy.

Her doctor had told her that after a year with no cycles, she no longer needed to use birth control. As delighted as she was after the baby was born, it took her several months to get over the shock of finding herself with an unexpected pregnancy in her mid forties. Not to mention concerns about the health of the child due to her age.

No one except a doctor can evaluate if yours is due to an abnormal condition or if it's "normal" for you, but it doesn't always mean something is wrong.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:34 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,183,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
She said most likely no due to all test showing I'm still menopausal. My DH had a vasectomy so if I get pregnant then it's really some kind of miracle! As stated above I can't do HRT. I haven't been on BC in 7 years. I won't go back on the pill.

My main concerns are....

1. Making sure I don't have cancer that they haven't detected yet.

2. Getting regular periods again and then going through menopause again later with symptoms starting all over again (since they were almost gone prior to this).

3. Constantly worrying somethings wrong.

4. Constantly going through (and paying for tests) to determine if anything is abnormal.
I’ve been menopausal for 8 years. Have had two periods. Followed protocol and got a thorough check up. Each time. Totally clear. As in nothing wrong at all.

My massage therapist’s daughter has had the same thing. Also nothing wrong. Also twice.

I’m not sure, and this isn’t large enough to make it a sample... but I’m starting to wonder if it’s not as odd and scary as we think it is. Maybe our bodies aren’t like faucets... on in child bearing and off in menopause hits.

I still have pads around, just in case.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:03 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,514,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I’ve been menopausal for 8 years. Have had two periods. Followed protocol and got a thorough check up. Each time. Totally clear. As in nothing wrong at all.

My massage therapist’s daughter has had the same thing. Also nothing wrong. Also twice.

I’m not sure, and this isn’t large enough to make it a sample... but I’m starting to wonder if it’s not as odd and scary as we think it is. Maybe our bodies aren’t like faucets... on in child bearing and off in menopause hits.

[B]I still have pads around, just in case[/b].
Give it a few years. They might still come in handy when you squirt as you laugh deeply or cough.
It's very irritating and not so fun getting older and losing muscle tone "down there."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness