Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 06:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Funny you say that. I had to argue with a person who normally is much more of a clean freak than me, but she just sprays and wipes. I'm like you're just wasting the product. Read the directions! It has to sit!
Yes, dwell time has to be taken in consideration in order for the product to work. But, you also need to be using the correct product. A general cleaner will not kill germs; a disinfectant will. There's a huge difference and most people don't know that and don't read the label of the product they are using.

Bleach is a great disinfectant...a 1:10 ratio is all you need to properly disinfect an area; using the correct 3 min dwell time of course.

For norovirus, I would use the above mentioned bleach solution and clean the areas twice day. Of course, excellent hand hygiene will keep you from getting sick as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:28 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
I do a lot of bleaching and Lysol, and get everyone's nutrition back on track. No junk food for as long as possible. My reasoning is to get everyone's bodies as healthy as possible. I really believe sugar plays into illness. I don't know all the hows and whys, but nutrition matters.

I don't know about the rest of you, but there are two people in my family (out of five) that are always the first ones sick and, generally speaking, get the rest of us sick. They would be my husband and son. They will each catch one thing after another and are sick with colds, random stomachaches, etc, for most of the winter. It seems like they get so run down that they eventually get the flu or strep or something really nasty. That's usually when the rest of us would catch it. Their doctors suspect it's because 1) they are both prone to allergies and this makes them more prone to irritations that lead to colds that lead to other things and 2)they don't have regular sleep schedules, and 3) we doubt they wash their hands as often as they should.

For those two, the rest of us have special rules. We do not eat after them. We think they may double-dip so we portion our own foods. They share one bathroom and the rest of us use the other. If we see them in "our" bathroom, we immediately go into full cleaning mood, even if they aren't showing symptoms. They have their own remotes. We launder their stuff separately. We use bleach wipes on anything they could possibly have touched: door knobs, refrigerator handles, etc. We wash hands alot. They are not aware of all of this, by the way. But, yeah, we go into action when they aren't looking. The rest of us have not been sick for awhile, knock on wood.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Gee, I didn't take any of these labor-intensive measures after feeding, cleaning my wife, changing diapers, inserting catheters, etc. during the 3 1/2 yrs. I was her caregiver. Soap, H2O, commercial cleaners like Pine Sol seemed to work and I'm still kickin' 32 months later.
It wouldn't matter unless she had norovirus while you were caring for her. People ingest poop germs all the time. It doesn't always make you sick.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:06 PM

OP, wipe everything down with 1 part bleach, 9 parts water. Do this to surfaces you touch and surfaces in the room where the person threw up. Light switches, door knobs, hand rails, TV remotes, etc. There is also a product from Purell that claims to kill noro. Keep in mind that clorox and lysol wipes are not bleach. They are not effective against noro.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
In my opinion if you regularly a healthy person and there is no immunosuppression going on, like you have no immunity system due to HIV or bone marrow transplant? The super major aggressive cleaning is overkill.

When we had norovirus, I thoroughly cleaned the bathroom with a mild bleach solution, keeping the areas wet for at least ten minutes. Since it was time anyway, I changed the shower curtain for new. I also washed all the bedding and pillows. Not on hot. I dried on medium high. It’s the dryer than kills stuff. I used disinfectant and cloths to wipe down the bedroom area. We both sipped bottled water for a day.

It didn’t come back.
It is highly contagious. It won't kill you if you have a normal immune system, but you will still get it. It didn't come back because you both already had had it. You are immune for something like 6 months. Then it mutates and you can get it again.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:17 PM

13,241 posts, read 7,295,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I do a lot of bleaching and Lysol, and get everyone's nutrition back on track. No junk food for as long as possible. My reasoning is to get everyone's bodies as healthy as possible. I really believe sugar plays into illness. I don't know all the hows and whys, but nutrition matters.

I don't know about the rest of you, but there are two people in my family (out of five) that are always the first ones sick and, generally speaking, get the rest of us sick. They would be my husband and son. They will each catch one thing after another and are sick with colds, random stomachaches, etc, for most of the winter. It seems like they get so run down that they eventually get the flu or strep or something really nasty. That's usually when the rest of us would catch it. Their doctors suspect it's because 1) they are both prone to allergies and this makes them more prone to irritations that lead to colds that lead to other things and 2)they don't have regular sleep schedules, and 3) we doubt they wash their hands as often as they should.

For those two, the rest of us have special rules. We do not eat after them. We think they may double-dip so we portion our own foods. They share one bathroom and the rest of us use the other. If we see them in "our" bathroom, we immediately go into full cleaning mood, even if they aren't showing symptoms. They have their own remotes. We launder their stuff separately. We use bleach wipes on anything they could possibly have touched: door knobs, refrigerator handles, etc. We wash hands alot. They are not aware of all of this, by the way. But, yeah, we go into action when they aren't looking. The rest of us have not been sick for awhile, knock on wood.
Doctor told me lot of people who get sick all the time is because they don't get enough sleep or quality sleep which runs down your immune system if your running on min sleep every night. I used to get sick lot before I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea I was running on low o2 and waking up over and over all night I would sleep 9 hours and feel like I slept 3 hours. Now that I have Cpap I sleep much better immune system is doing much better.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Of course it's overkill but it makes people on this thread feel like they're doing something in the aftermath of a very unpleasant outbreak.

Presumably, the viruses resiliency is why they never fully remove it from cruise ships, hotels, and other places the virus decides to cozy up. Cruise ships while at sea are closed systems, the moment that dock that's the end of that.

The entire exercise of excess cleaning with bleach, vinegar, wipes, whatever doesn't really solve anything but whatever makes people happy. Just for giggles I looked at my 23andMe results about norovirus and found out I'm susceptible. Despite being European I lost that particular Lottery, 1/5 chance sounds like.

I can't recall ever having such a thing across my entire lifetime, now age 50, other than what I assume was food poisoning once at the end of 2012 and another time in 2003. I'm pretty good with dates so I just happen to remember. Then again I don't allow a lot of filthy malarkey into my house either, to say the least. No brats or animals out running around rolling in the dung.
most "food poisoning" is actually norovirus. I don't know what you mean about the cruise ships and docking. You can get it anywhere, so I don't know what your last sentence has to do with anything. You do leave the house, I assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I can't deal with that much bleach toxin. I use Odoban, which is also much easier to use EVERYWHERE.
What is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Yes, dwell time has to be taken in consideration in order for the product to work. But, you also need to be using the correct product. A general cleaner will not kill germs; a disinfectant will. There's a huge difference and most people don't know that and don't read the label of the product they are using.

Bleach is a great disinfectant...a 1:10 ratio is all you need to properly disinfect an area; using the correct 3 min dwell time of course.

For norovirus, I would use the above mentioned bleach solution and clean the areas twice day. Of course, excellent hand hygiene will keep you from getting sick as well.
Yes. Read your labels.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:42 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

What is that?
OdoBan Professional - Germ Control

Old 01-04-2018, 08:37 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,668,599 times
I read some where that if a sick person throws up, everything within 25 feet needs to be quarantined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness