Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 06:38 PM

59 posts, read 43,972 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this was mentioned in earlier posts but decreasing your salt intake is very important as too much salt in your diet causes your body to lose calcium and increases bone loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 09:43 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
I don't know if this was mentioned in earlier posts but decreasing your salt intake is very important as too much salt in your diet causes your body to lose calcium and increases bone loss.

If I decreased my salt intake any more it would be zero. Well, not really, but I don't put salt on anything and I don't cook with it either. I avoid most anything that is high in sodium, try to stay away from most prepared foods and frozen dinners, etc..

Old 06-25-2018, 09:17 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
So, I’ll revive the thread, since I just got a call from my doctors office, after having a routine check up last week. Her nurse said the doctor decided, after reviewing my bone density test, it would be good for me to take Fosamax once a week.

I hate taking anything unless it’s absolutely necessary, and I wish the doc would have discussed it while I was there.

I said to go ahead an call it in. I’ll take it for awhile, but if I have any side effects at all, I’m quitting it. I am waiting for a knee replacement, and can barely walk, so the usual weight bearing exercises are out for now.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:13 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
I have read, in various sources, that these drugs do not improve the health or strength of bones. That was also mentioned in this thread's comments. And there are side effects.

So explain why MDs still recommend these drugs?

Old 06-25-2018, 11:39 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I hire a doctor who I have confidence in, and then I follow her recommendations. I really don’t care to go to internet medical school myself.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:47 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I have read, in various sources, that these drugs do not improve the health or strength of bones. That was also mentioned in this thread's comments. And there are side effects.

Not only does my MD recommend them, she takes them herself.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:59 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I've read too many negatives on Foxamax and would never take it. None of the drugs for bone loss.

Magnesium is so not talked about. It's so vital for bone health.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3775240/

Old 06-25-2018, 12:02 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:

It's to clear to me pharma drugs = $$$$.

Bottom line, when you take the drugs, you take your chances and hope for the best. But so much info out there on them, makes me think and think.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-25-2018 at 12:10 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 02:32 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:

Why don't you go to Medical School yourself, complete a residency and fellowship THEN you can decide "not to recommend these drugs"

In the meantime, the "various sources" which you typically reference (meaning no reference at all) are meaningless, the conclusions you have have made are false (oseteoporosis treatment is effective) and there are "side effects" to NOT treating osteoporosis as in fractures....

Old 06-25-2018, 02:37 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've read too many negatives on Foxamax and would never take it. None of the drugs for bone loss.

Magnesium is so not talked about. It's so vital for bone health.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3775240/
Just curious...

Do you EVER read the links you post? Or do you just not understand them?

Consequently, optimizing Mg intake might represent an effective and low-cost preventive measure against osteoporosis in individuals with documented Mg deficiency, while doubts remain about supplementing the general population with the mineral since too much Mg seems to have detrimental effects on the bone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness