Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 12:02 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm saying the LACK of cholesterol may be causing more and more dementia/alz issues. Statins are lowering those cholesterol levels.

I've heard from some with some incredibly lower numbers who are taking statins. Our bodies need cholesterol.

Since the cholesterol issues were NOT a thing in my parents' lives, just thinking their numbers could have been off the walls and they were fine. We'll never know. They lived long and never knew their numbers.

Are you confusing LDL and HDL? Our HDL is supposed to be high, the LDL low, under current recommendations.

I've seen reference that a low HDL may be linked to Alzheimers.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-21-2018, 08:53 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
I started to reply to this post yesterday and gave it more thought.
I am 85 and do not remember alzheimers ever,only senility with old age.
I came in touch with statins when they started,my doctor started my wife and I on Lipitor 40mg beginning of horror story.
No one had complained of side effects,it had me almost in a wheel chair unknown to me,because of leg aches and back aches I was going to make appointment with orthopedist.
My wife was in same boat,had to lift her legs in and out of car.
Then in an evening newscast Tom Brokaw talked about serious side effects.We immediately stopped Lipitor and in three or four months cleared up.
Right now my wife is on Pravahcol,however you spell it and in beginning for a long time suffered with leg aches and back aches,she is on every other day.A long time ago I asked her to stop to no avail.She has read these posts and will stop.
We have been married 63 years and for last couple of years has had severe short term memory loss,does make you wonder if there isn't something unknown about statins,they work on the liver.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:18 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I started to reply to this post yesterday and gave it more thought.
I am 85 and do not remember alzheimers ever,only senility with old age.
I came in touch with statins when they started,my doctor started my wife and I on Lipitor 40mg beginning of horror story.
No one had complained of side effects,it had me almost in a wheel chair unknown to me,because of leg aches and back aches I was going to make appointment with orthopedist.
My wife was in same boat,had to lift her legs in and out of car.
Then in an evening newscast Tom Brokaw talked about serious side effects.We immediately stopped Lipitor and in three or four months cleared up.
Right now my wife is on Pravahcol,however you spell it and in beginning for a long time suffered with leg aches and back aches,she is on every other day.A long time ago I asked her to stop to no avail.She has read these posts and will stop.
We have been married 63 years and for last couple of years has had severe short term memory loss,does make you wonder if there isn't something unknown about statins,they work on the liver.

My major GRIPE is -- is cholesterol the real culprit? There is so much info on other issues and my own MD has been treating me for elevated homocysteine and fibrigen and NOT cholesterol. I'm 80 soon and I read and read other information and I'll never be convinced it's cholesterol ... there are books written and the one that "got me" The Heart Revolution really got me thinking more and more. Sadly millions are on these statins and so so many with memory loss.

What IF it's not cholesterol but other issues the medical community is NOT addressing. And these drugs causing so much damage......

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-21-2018 at 10:39 AM..

Old 05-21-2018, 10:54 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
bluedevils please stop getting in the way with all your facts and data.
A lot of the "facts and data" come from research funded by drug companies. Medical research is extremely hard to interpret.

There is definitely more than one side to this controversy, and medical doctors do not always bother looking at the various perspectives.

Extremely high cholesterol sometimes results from genetic defects, but most of the time it is caused by lifestyle.

It is not as simple as most people, including many MDs, think it is. High cholesterol does not result mainly from eating high cholesterol, or high fat, food. It often results from metabolic syndrome, which involves insulin resistance resulting from a diet high in refined sugar. Not enough physical activity is also an important factor.

Metabolic syndrome often results in high levels of triglycerides, and LDL, and low levels of HDL.

It is definitely not a question of cholesterol being too high and needing to be lowered. At least not for the great majority of people.

Statin drugs have shown some benefit for preventing heart disease (not much). This seems to be because these drugs have an anti-inflammatory effect, and the real problem is chronic inflammation, not high cholesterol.

Statin drugs are definitely not a good way to prevent heart attacks and strokes, for most people. That is a myth, resulting from confusion surrounding the research. Most people will get no benefit at all from statins, and there could be serious long-term risks.

Medical doctors tell their patients who have high cholesterol and high blood pressure to lose weight, since many of them are overweight. And most patients fail to lose weight, since losing weight permanently by restricting calories is almost impossible.

And losing weight is besides the point. A person can be normal weight and still have metabolic syndrome -- that is actually very common.

Metabolic syndrome is now an epidemic because of refined sugar (and other convenience food ingredients) and physical inactivity. For most people, the whole problem can be solved by having a more natural diet and getting lots of exercise.

At least try that first!

I realize there is a member here who has metabolic syndrome in spite of a healthy lifestyle. But there may be other complicating factors in that case, such as medication. A lot of medications, such as anti-depressants, can cause metabolic syndrome.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:05 AM

If that member is me, I do not take antidepressants.

I take Enbrel (RA), quinaprel (HBP), and levoxithyrine (sp.) for thyroid.

None of those cause metabolic problems

Old 05-21-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If that member is me, I do not take antidepressants.

I take Enbrel (RA), quinaprel (HBP), and levoxithyrine (sp.) for thyroid.

None of those cause metabolic problems
Low thyroid can cause high cholesterol.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:24 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You need to follow the instructions of your physician.

High cholesterol, especially if genetic, kills.
Funny. It was BECAUSE I followed the instructions of my physician that I ended up crippled, with a rare DNA mutation DIRECTLY linked to statin drugs and a life of permanent pain. Doctors are not gods, and many of them care more about getting the kick-backs and perks than about keeping people off dangerous drugs. There is no proof that high cholesterol kills, Cholesterol is a necessary building block for the brain and muscles, including the heart, to operate properly. Just because not everyone suffers side affects does not mean those who do should be treated like idiots.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Two videos on the Statin Nation

This whole cholesterol and statin issue could be the big myth of our times...cholesterol is important and for sure for our brains. Why so much dementia today...MAYBE the statins are doing it. Could so many in dementia be taking their doses of statins.

A doctor in one of the videos talked about her memory getting fuzzy and she was taking statins.
Statins interfere with some extremely complex natural processes. Cholesterol is extremely important, especially for the brain. How likely is it that interfering with these processes would have no damaging effects?

And how likely is it that statins would protect against alzheimers and cancer, as well as heart disease? That is what some of the research is claiming. And a large percent of the research is funded by drug companies.

You can look at data many ways and see many different things.

And no one has really studied the long term effects of statins.

High triglycerides and LDL, and hypertension, are all signs that the system is out of balance. Lowering them does NOT restore the balance!

One problem with mainstream medical research is that it often fails to consider the system as a whole.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Low thyroid can cause high cholesterol.
It's not low with meds, and I do not have high cholesterol.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's not low with meds, and I do not have high cholesterol.
You just have high blood sugar? I don't remember exactly what you said you had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness