Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 01:00 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times

Advertisements

My prescription is good for two years, so I have a little over a year left on it. Maybe by then, I can afford new bifocals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 01:03 PM

472 posts, read 438,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If you were seeing fine before your glasses broke, no problem getting the same Rx. If you were noticing any issues, then IMO it would be worth getting your vision checked so that you can get the max usage out of the new glasses.

Although I'm curious about whether it was the lens or the frame that broke? If it was the frame, they should be able to get a replacement frame that will fit the same lenses. I've had to do that a couple of times - my vision is pretty bad so the lenses are the $$$ part of new glasses for me, and it was definitely worth keeping the same lenses in a second frame when the lenses were still good.
It was the frame. Stupid thing broke in half at the nose piece when I was putting them on this morning. Been using a backup pair for the time being.

Are the frames alone considerably cheaper? What about the eyeglass places that send out to have prescription glasses/lens made and then you pick them up in 7-10 days?

Old 01-12-2018, 01:10 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
It was the frame. Stupid thing broke in half at the nose piece when I was putting them on this morning. Been using a backup pair for the time being.

Are the frames alone considerably cheaper? What about the eyeglass places that send out to have prescription glasses/lens made and then you pick them up in 7-10 days?
It depends on your lenses - mine are for a strong Rx plus I get high index since they are so thick and then sometimes other features like lenses that darken, etc. My frames are usually a couple of hundred dollars (I am going to wear them every day for at least two year so I don't mind spending that) and the lenses are usually about $800. In my case, it's clearly worth buying new frames if the lenses are still good.

Your calculations may be different esp. if your vision isn't that bad and your lenses are less expensive. But I'd still take the glasses into the store you bought them at and see what they suggest. They may still have the same frames (or can order a pair) and can pop the lenses right in, or they may have something close enough to work.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:19 PM

472 posts, read 438,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It depends on your lenses - mine are for a strong Rx plus I get high index since they are so thick and then sometimes other features like lenses that darken, etc. My frames are usually a couple of hundred dollars (I am going to wear them every day for at least two year so I don't mind spending that) and the lenses are usually about $800. In my case, it's clearly worth buying new frames if the lenses are still good.

Your calculations may be different esp. if your vision isn't that bad and your lenses are less expensive. But I'd still take the glasses into the store you bought them at and see what they suggest. They may still have the same frames (or can order a pair) and can pop the lenses right in, or they may have something close enough to work.
My prescription is:

OD: Sphere: -3.25, Cylinder: +1:25 Axis: 80

I myself have no idea what any of that means but that's what I was given by my Ophthalmologist 6 months ago. Not sure if that's a strong prescription or not.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:24 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
My prescription is:

I myself have no idea what any of that means but that's what I was given by my Ophthalmologist 6 months ago. Not sure if that's a strong prescription or not.
If you still have the receipt for your glasses, it should say how much the frames were and how much the lenses were. Or if you go to your eyeglass store, I'm sure they'd be happy to help you figure out the pricing to decide if replacing just the frames makes sense for you. Good thing you had a back up pair, though!

Old 01-12-2018, 01:26 PM

343 posts, read 229,561 times
Your prescription is good for at least a year. You could call your optometrist to be sure. An annual eye-exam is the norm for people like us who need lenses lol. A lot of people need replacement lenses due to losing them or breaking, sitting on them. It's not unusual and unless you have a special case where your eyesight is degrading rapidly you should be able to use a prescription given in the last year.

Your insurance might not cover the lenses or discount the frames if you already got new ones.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:30 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
Quote:
My prescription is:

Do you have your original bill from where you bought the glasses? If so, read the fine print. Most of the places where I have bought glasses guarantee the frames for at least one year. You may find that the frame is under warranty and you may qualify to get a free replacement.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:15 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Or should I schedule/pay for another exam before getting a replacement? Obviously, I'd prefer not to have to undergo the time and $ that goes with another exam but not sure if the 6-month old prescription would be okay to use.
If the prescription is no good why did you bother wear the glasses.?

Old 01-12-2018, 04:07 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Save yourself some money and hassle, order a pair from Zenni. I don't think they much care how old the Rx is...

Old 01-12-2018, 04:41 PM

777 posts, read 1,872,367 times
Unless the frames are poor quality (they did break after all - but you may handle them roughly), if the lenses are in good shape get a duplicate frame into which your optician can insert the existing lenses. No new Rx needed. Problem solved. I don't get what's so difficult about this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness