Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 07:20 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,739,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I'm only responsible for what I know. I can't "make" you understand.

The pharmacy cannot fill only half, then fill the rest later. It doesn't work that way with some meds. If I accept the 60 they have then I'm agreeing that I lose the other 60.
That's untrue. I just had a refill where they only had enough to fill a partial order and then when they got the rest in called me to come for the rest of the order. And that's as Wal-Mart.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
mail order pharmacies are cheaper
Not always. Depends on the medication.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:24 AM

15,385 posts, read 7,449,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
You must have an oddball pharmacy, our pharmacy (Walgreens) when they run short they just call us a few days later when the rest of the r/x ordered pills come in. No new r/x is needed for shorts.
After 72 hours, Schedule II partial prescriptions cannot be completed. From 21CFR1306:

§1306.13 Partial filling of prescriptions.
(a) The partial filling of a prescription for a controlled substance listed in Schedule II is permissible if the pharmacist is unable to supply the full quantity called for in a written or emergency oral prescription and he makes a notation of the quantity supplied on the face of the written prescription, written record of the emergency oral prescription, or in the electronic prescription record. The remaining portion of the prescription may be filled within 72 hours of the first partial filling; however, if the remaining portion is not or cannot be filled within the 72-hour period, the pharmacist shall notify the prescribing individual practitioner. No further quantity may be supplied beyond 72 hours without a new prescription.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Moving a RX to get a full dosage is not "running from pharmacy to pharmacy"
If the law prevented filling the total number of pills the doctor prescribed, I imagine the person would get the explanation when s/he picked up the RX at the pharmacy window
Something like this, they make you get a face/face w/the pharmacist about using the drug properly...

And while controlled drugs should be supervised more strenuously than non-controlled opioid meds, it is certainly possible for someone to be running a scam...

Frankly I find it pretty incredible that someone who is taking a LEGAL opioid drug--supposedly for pain management--is going to walk away from half of a RX---
That does not sound like a normal person's response....
If you have a legal RX and get only half your dosage, you are still legally entitled to the other half and don't need a NEW RX to complete the order...
THAT would make the OP seem to be abusing the need for the drug--having to have a NEW RX twice as quick as the original RX required....
The pharmacist is almost certainly telling OP that only half the prescription is available,and that the rest will not be available in less than 72 hours, so a new prescription will be required for the second half of the order.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:29 AM

No one has explained why the pharmacy can't order more in less than 3 days. Repeatedly. Not have I seen why the OP can't call in for a refill in enough time to allow them to order enough to fill his entire prescription.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:43 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,240,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
After 72 hours, Schedule II partial prescriptions cannot be completed. From 21CFR1306:

§1306.13 Partial filling of prescriptions.
(a) The partial filling of a prescription for a controlled substance listed in Schedule II is permissible if the pharmacist is unable to supply the full quantity called for in a written or emergency oral prescription and he makes a notation of the quantity supplied on the face of the written prescription, written record of the emergency oral prescription, or in the electronic prescription record. The remaining portion of the prescription may be filled within 72 hours of the first partial filling; however, if the remaining portion is not or cannot be filled within the 72-hour period, the pharmacist shall notify the prescribing individual practitioner. No further quantity may be supplied beyond 72 hours without a new prescription.

The pharmacist is almost certainly telling OP that only half the prescription is available,and that the rest will not be available in less than 72 hours, so a new prescription will be required for the second half of the order.
+1.

Yep. Insane but true.

Yet many here aren't not understanding this is how it works...

Old 01-14-2018, 07:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,491,526 times
To summarize, the OP just needs to make an actual phone call to ask potential pharmacies if they stock the meds that she needs.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:56 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,781,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Moving a RX to get a full dosage is not "running from pharmacy to pharmacy"
If the law prevented filling the total number of pills the doctor prescribed, I imagine the person would get the explanation when s/he picked up the RX at the pharmacy window
Something like this, they make you get a face/face w/the pharmacist about using the drug properly...

And while controlled drugs should be supervised more strenuously than non-controlled opioid meds, it is certainly possible for someone to be running a scam...

Frankly I find it pretty incredible that someone who is taking a LEGAL opioid drug--supposedly for pain management--is going to walk away from half of a RX---
That does not sound like a normal person's response....
If you have a legal RX and get only half your dosage, you are still legally entitled to the other half and don't need a NEW RX to complete the order...
THAT would make the OP seem to be abusing the need for the drug--having to have a NEW RX twice as quick as the original RX required....
L2R, I'm surprised at you making such an allegation.
I had to take what they had due to the amount of pain I suffer. The pharmacy had told me they couldn't fill the entire prescription for 5 days. My contract with my PM doctor specifies where I get my script filled and it was after 5PM so I couldn't reach them to ask if it were ok to go elsewhere.

I'm not understanding any of the snarky comments I've gotten on this thread.
Walk a mile in my shoes..............so to speak. I don't go into a lot of detail about my particular illness and I won't but know this--going 5 days without my pain meds is out of the question.

The pharmacy will notify the doctor,as will I about the shortage.
I'm not legally entitled to the rest of the prescription based on the type medicine this is.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:28 AM

3,261 posts, read 4,994,595 times
I'm curious as to why your pharmacy doesn't stock enough of this medication to cover your needs and the needs of other patients who take the same medication.

Is it because of a DEA regulation?
Is it because of a state regulation?
Is it because of a corporate policy?
Is it because they fear robbery?
Is it because of an insurance regulation?
Is it some combination of the above, or something else entirely?

You might talk to the pharmacist in charge and try to figure out if your receiving only a partial fill is going to be an ongoing thing. If it is, you'll need to work with your doctor, your insurance company, and the pharmacy to make sure you avoid running out of your needed medication.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,987,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
finally- a couple of options of which may work. My initial issue was how to ask the pharmacy without sounding like a crazed druggie. Your suggestion makes sense.
I'll talk to my doc and insurance about mail ordering this med
Let's see if I can help you out a bit. You are running into the same issue that many have on occasion which is the pharmacy doesn't have enough pills on hand to fill your prescription so they ask if you'll take a partial fill. The problem with partial fills when it comes to C2 drugs as has been stated before is you've got 72 hours to complete the prescription or by law the remainder is lost.
What you need to do in this issue is to ask for the script back and get on the phone and call Walgreens,CVS and the local grocery store to see if they have them in stock. Explain that Sams didn't have them so you're trying to find someone that does. You cannot mail order Opioids, they have to be picked up in person from a pharmacy. I understand you're with a PM doctor (I hate those guys btw), either let them know ahead of time that you may have to go to a different pharmacy or explain it to them afterwards. As long as they know what/when/why they shouldn't have an issue. If they do FIRE THEM and get someone else.

You will not look like a "druggie" by doing this, you're trying to get a legitimate prescription filled and running into the same issue as many others have and are running into, they understand that. The other thing you should do is start calling in a few days early to be sure that they'll have the amount you need when your refill is due.
Sams can order daily and they come in either the next day or the day after. I've seen them be out of C2's one day and get them in the next day so I know it can be done.
The one thing I want to stress to you is that you are not "looking like a druggie" by wanting your full prescription filled. What may/could make you look bad is having to constantly go back and get a new script half way through the original.

What many people don't know is that EVERY C2 is logged into a state/federal database. Before the doctor can write it they have to check the database to see if your name comes up with a red star next to it warning them that there's an issue. If no star they can write it AND then they're "supposed to" enter it into the database.
When you go to the pharmacy the pharmacist also has to look you up AND has to enter that they filled it under your name.
The one thing you do not want to do is yell at or blame your pharmacist, it's not them, it's the regulations that are screwing things up for those that really need these meds in the hopes of reducing the addicts access.
Yelling at or taking out your frustrations on the pharmacy or pharmacist is like yelling at the person who's cooking your dinner. It generally doesn't work out well for you...

Last edited by jimj; 01-14-2018 at 09:03 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 08:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,987,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'm curious as to why your pharmacy doesn't stock enough of this medication to cover your needs and the needs of other patients who take the same medication.

Is it because of a DEA regulation?
Is it because of a state regulation?
Is it because of a corporate policy?
Is it because they fear robbery?
Is it because of an insurance regulation?
Is it some combination of the above, or something else entirely?

You might talk to the pharmacist in charge and try to figure out if your receiving only a partial fill is going to be an ongoing thing. If it is, you'll need to work with your doctor, your insurance company, and the pharmacy to make sure you avoid running out of your needed medication.
The reason for lack of supply is twofold but both due to the new Federal regulations. Pharmacies are only allowed to order so much per month. Secondly, they cannot get the size bottles (1000) that they used to get and more drugs were added to the C2 list. All C2 drugs must be locked up and there's only so much space in those lockups. So, if you take the restriction on how much they can order, that they can't get bulk size bottles anymore AND that new drugs were added to the lockup it creates a shortage issue as there's only so much space to put all of those little bottles. Some pharmacies are expanding to add a larger lockup but I think that's going to be the rarity.

In some states it's really bad due to state laws. I was talking with a pharmacist the other day and he was telling me about one east coast state where they're not allowed to stock opioids at all. They have to have a script in hand THEN order the drugs for delivery which means no matter what the patient has to wait.
In my mind this is INSANE and an affront to anyone who's in real need of medication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness