Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 02:34 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,622 times

Advertisements

Although people around me get sick sometimes, in the last 15 years I can't remember getting sick once, not even the flu. There's even been times when I've had to walk for hours in freezing rain or snow, or got a wound, and for whatever reason, and although it felt bad, I didn't get any symptoms of flu or infection.

I keep active, but don't do sports or anything like that. One of my hobbies is cooking and experimenting with vegetables and healthy foods (even though I'm a pretty terrible cook), but for a long time, my diet was really bad, and also, I ate like half the amount of what an adult should eat, so I'm used to not eating.

Also, if I don't eat for whatever reason, I will start presenting flu-like symptoms. For instance, sneezing, runny nose, and headaches. The symptoms will disappear almost immediately after eating (20-40 minutes). Nutrition takes much longer than that to be absorbed, so that doesn't make sense.

It's funny, because when I say that I don't get sick, nobody believes me, and I don't take people seriously when they say they get ill, because it doesn't happen to me. Does this happen to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 03:04 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
Some people just have better immune systems. I rarely get sick and in the 26 years I have been alive I have NEVER seen my dad sick. My mom, even as a 3rd grade teacher, rarely gets sick with anything more than sinuses. Same for my younger brother.

I had a stomach virus when I was 8.
I had the Flu around 10.
Strep throat is what I have had the most. I have had it maybe 5 times overall, last time being 4 years ago.
Other than some allergies, that's about it.

I'm thankful for what must be a decent immune system.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:30 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Well, NOW you've done it. You do know, don't you, that by bragging about how you never get sick, you've angered the gods of pestilence and mischief, and they will smite you! You can expect to be hit with the most miserable cold you ever had, maybe this awful flu going around, or at least a miserable GI virus that will leave you on your knees worshipping the porcelein throne for hours on end.! Has happened to me every time I ever bragged about how long it had been since I was sick with anything.

I'm kidding, of course, except it really does seem to me I get hit with a cold or associated miseries after I have commented about my general good health.

I'd figure your good health is due to a super duper immune system that works overtime keeping those disease varmints out there from getting hold of you.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Some people just have better immune systems. I rarely get sick and in the 26 years I have been alive I have NEVER seen my dad sick. My mom, even as a 3rd grade teacher, rarely gets sick with anything more than sinuses. Same for my younger brother.

I had a stomach virus when I was 8.
I had the Flu around 10.
Strep throat is what I have had the most. I have had it maybe 5 times overall, last time being 4 years ago.
Other than some allergies, that's about it.

I'm thankful for what must be a decent immune system.
Yeah I got sick as a kid like everyone else until around 16. Then I just stopped getting sick. Also good point, I don't remember my family ever contracting illnesses. My great grandmother died in my early 20s, she was like nearly 100 and very active, alive and healthy, and very capable of making men who thought they were big feel very small.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, NOW you've done it. You do know, don't you, that by bragging about how you never get sick, you've angered the gods of pestilence and mischief, and they will smite you! You can expect to be hit with the most miserable cold you ever had, maybe this awful flu going around, or at least a miserable GI virus that will leave you on your knees worshipping the porcelein throne for hours on end.! Has happened to me every time I ever bragged about how long it had been since I was sick with anything.

I'm kidding, of course, except it really does seem to me I get hit with a cold or associated miseries after I have commented about my general good health.

I'd figure your good health is due to a super duper immune system that works overtime keeping those disease varmints out there from getting hold of you.
LOL. Too late, I've been bragging about it for too long, this is double jeopardy your honor. Maybe those germs are just afraid of my lawyers.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:08 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
LOL. Too late, I've been bragging about it for too long, this is double jeopardy your honor. Maybe those germs are just afraid of my lawyers.
LOL, maybe you just got lucky and those gods of pestilence and misery are too busy smiting other souls (would seem to be the case hearing about all the flu going around ) to worry about getting to you!

Anyway, keep washing your hands and staying out of crowds as much as you're able-that's where tbose evil germs congregate, waiting for their next victim.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:17 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Does sunlight bother you?
Do you find yourself howling at the moon?

Did you ever see the movie "unbreakable"?

Ask your parents if you arrived on the planet in a spaceship

Old 01-17-2018, 05:31 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Immune system.
Human body is absolutely capable of defending any disease with healthy immune system.
My grandfather died at age of 72, in 15 seconds. He returned from work, ate his soup, set in his chair, fell forward and was gone. He been to hospital in his lifetime once. Fell down on ice and broke a rib. He survived exile in Siberia, living in hole in permafrost for over a year. I never recall him even sneezing.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:34 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Your immune system works better with exercise. People who don't get sick, often, are the ones who are most exposed to the kinds of things that make most people sick.

If you are excessively careful about personal hygiene and kitchen cleanliness and beds-by dates, you will be getting little exposure to mild pathogens, and your immune system will be caught by surprise.

When I travel,even to Africa, I drink tapwater and eat street market food. I never get sick, except for a couple of times I run into something serious enough to have a name, like amoebic dysentery or giardiasis. But the everyday things, my body just merrily kicks them aside.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:54 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Young kids get "colds" ~6x per yr. Each time we encounter a new virus, we get sick from it, but develop immunity to that particular bug, so we won't get sick from it again.

Older kids get 2-4 colds/yr, young adults 1-3/yr and by middle age we've "seen it all" so to speak and colds become even more rare. Past 60y/o, colds are quite unusual.

I haven't had a cold in 20 yrs and my diet consists mostly of beef, ice cream and Jack Daniels. Diet can't be the secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness