Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 10:54 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times

Advertisements

Last week I phoned for a doctors appointment for ear problems and feeling dizzy a lot.. was told no appointment this week so got one for next week but then she said..OH your due a Shingles jab... I said Oh thats new to me Ive never heard of it.. Oh Yes now that your 70 like my mum you must have it.. so I said yes I would go this week and see the nurse and have it done.. then looked it up and it clearly states that some underlying conditions can be made worse by having this jab.. I have MCS and environmental illness , which Ive had to many years since a teenager.. so dont they look up patients files before telling them they have to have this injection done... ..

Old 01-21-2018, 07:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I wouldn’t just walk into any urgent care and get the shot, you should get it from your own regular physician who would have your records. I got one after hearing about a relative that got shingles. Not a fun disease to get.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:43 PM

22,855 posts, read 6,437,988 times
I also got my shingles shot at my Dr's office. So did my husband. Actually I got the flu shot in one arm and the shingles shot in the other....no problems.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I also got my shingles shot at my Dr's office. So did my husband. Actually I got the flu shot in one arm and the shingles shot in the other....no problems.
I cant get the flu one either .. it has complications for me..

Old 01-22-2018, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I wouldn’t just walk into any urgent care and get the shot, you should get it from your own regular physician who would have your records. I got one after hearing about a relative that got shingles. Not a fun disease to get.
No your right its not a nice illness to have... but I dont want my own illness made worse by having it done..

Old 01-22-2018, 04:55 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
No your right its not a nice illness to have... but I dont want my own illness made worse by having it done..
I would remind my doctor of any problems I have; just in case they 'forgot' or did not carefully read your history. You are your own best advocate.

You should also check the price of the shot; if you feel 'safe'. Possibly your insurance will cover the vaccine? I forget how much we saved from calling around; but it was a substantial difference between medical providers. We found a pharmacy that administered the shot and saved us a lot of money since our insurance did not cover us at that time.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:17 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
I can say from personal experience that the only thing that they really look at -- esp for kids -- is vaccination records.

They really don't keep track of anything else on a broad scale, and the insurance companies give them bonuses if a certain percent/certain number of patients get the shots.

This is definitely a case of buyer beware.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:29 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Shingles is terrible, it's probably one of the most painful conditions a person can get. Never had it myself, but I took care of several people with it in a previous life.

OP, talk to your doctor about whether it is contraindicated for you, but the overwhelming majority of people should get the the shot.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I would remind my doctor of any problems I have; just in case they 'forgot' or did not carefully read your history. You are your own best advocate.

You should also check the price of the shot; if you feel 'safe'. Possibly your insurance will cover the vaccine? I forget how much we saved from calling around; but it was a substantial difference between medical providers. We found a pharmacy that administered the shot and saved us a lot of money since our insurance did not cover us at that time.
NHS in the UK is all free fisheye . so not a problem at all.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Shingles is terrible, it's probably one of the most painful conditions a person can get. Never had it myself, but I took care of several people with it in a previous life.

OP, talk to your doctor about whether it is contraindicated for you, but the overwhelming majority of people should get the the shot.
I had never heard of this vaccination before being asked to go for it. didnt know there was one.. but yes Ill talk it through with the nurse when I see her on Wed.. and then wait for the doctor the following week..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness