Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 04:12 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times

Advertisements

I'm having post eating probs. I'm going to eliminate wheat (go gluten free) & just try rice & broth & maybe celery & carrots in broth. Also, all nuts, seeds, oils, & even good fats like avocados, fish oils, etc. seem hurt my stomach.

I'm unsure if gluten matters but it seems oily food & wheat foods really hurt my GI. I want to eat very bland & rice seems a good idea as do Saltines & maybe steamed veggies.

Is any dairy ok when going bland? Cottage cheese ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 04:18 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
You may be developing an allergy. That's how mine began, with a sensitive stomach and having to go to the restroom right after most meals.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:20 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
My only comment would be that eliminating all these food sources (wheat, all the fats, dairy) at once might make it harder to pin down what you actually are most sensitive to. What about eliminating one group at a time? It will either help or it won't, so you can go on to the next group. You may not have to give something up that you enjoy. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2018, 04:35 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Don't saltines contain gluten? If they're made from wheat flour, anyway.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:08 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
My only comment would be that eliminating all these food sources (wheat, all the fats, dairy) at once might make it harder to pin down what you actually are most sensitive to. What about eliminating one group at a time? It will either help or it won't, so you can go on to the next group. You may not have to give something up that you enjoy. Good luck!
Yes, go on an elimination diet.

Also keep a food/symptom diary. This is easiest on your smart phone - I use this app and like it. mySymptoms There are others.

The eight most common food intolerances are: milk, soy, egg, wheat, peanut, tree nuts, fish, and shellfish. https://www.verywell.com/the-most-co...ergies-1324134

(Note, there is a lot of confusion about allergy/intolerance. Personally, I prefer to use the word allergy to refer to a histamine reaction, and use intolerance for food that I react badly to.)

OP, any anti-inflammation diet protocol will help you zero in what's bothering you, but it sounds to me like you might have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so I'd just go right to the low FODMAP protocol and see whether it helps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FODMAP

I also have trouble with oils, so I avoid oily food.

Lots of info out there, what I've said is just the tiniest tip of the iceberg.

Personally, my two main intolerances are wheat and dairy. When I stopped eating those, it gradually emerged that I also have issues with tree nuts, chocolate, alcohol, and stone and pome fruits. Yes, it's a much longer list than I'd like. But there's still plenty of good stuff to eat, and I feel SO MUCH better when I stay on my diet that it really isn't that hard to stay on it. And if I do experience an intense craving for something I shouldn't eat - well, I pick a day when I can stay near the bathroom and go for it. Usually cures me of the craving for a good six months!

Old 01-15-2018, 10:00 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Try the BRAT diet; Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. Those foods are all easy to digest.
I would avoid seeds, nuts, and veggies (yikes, celery?)--the fiber makes them hard to digest.

If your digestion settles down, you can add other foods in one at a time and see how you tolerate them.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:03 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Don't saltines contain gluten? If they're made from wheat flour, anyway.
Yes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-16-2018, 08:47 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes, go on an elimination diet.

Also keep a food/symptom diary. This is easiest on your smart phone - I use this app and like it. mySymptoms There are others.

The eight most common food intolerances are: milk, soy, egg, wheat, peanut, tree nuts, fish, and shellfish. https://www.verywell.com/the-most-co...ergies-1324134

(Note, there is a lot of confusion about allergy/intolerance. Personally, I prefer to use the word allergy to refer to a histamine reaction, and use intolerance for food that I react badly to.)

OP, any anti-inflammation diet protocol will help you zero in what's bothering you, but it sounds to me like you might have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so I'd just go right to the low FODMAP protocol and see whether it helps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FODMAP

I also have trouble with oils, so I avoid oily food.

Lots of info out there, what I've said is just the tiniest tip of the iceberg.

Personally, my two main intolerances are wheat and dairy. When I stopped eating those, it gradually emerged that I also have issues with tree nuts, chocolate, alcohol, and stone and pome fruits. Yes, it's a much longer list than I'd like. But there's still plenty of good stuff to eat, and I feel SO MUCH better when I stay on my diet that it really isn't that hard to stay on it. And if I do experience an intense craving for something I shouldn't eat - well, I pick a day when I can stay near the bathroom and go for it. Usually cures me of the craving for a good six months!
I second the suggestion about the low FODMAP elimination diet. Take a look at the Monash University website on the subject: https://www.monashfodmap.com/

Trigger foods for me are wheat, beans, onions, alcohol, coffee, and dairy. But everyone's body chemistry is different, and foods that are bad for me might be OK for you. You can find out what your trigger foods are by going on a FODMAP elimination diet (temporarily) and gradually adding foods back to your diet, one at a time, and seeing how your gut reacts. I was able to identify my trigger foods, and now I avoid eating them, and I'm doing SO much better.

Edited to add: You might want to talk to your doctor about your gut issues. I was given a diagnosis of IBS only after I had a colonoscopy and upper GI endoscopy to rule everything else out.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:26 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Have you been checked by a gastroenterologist? If not, you should, to rule out physical problems.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:32 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Have you been checked by a gastroenterologist? If not, you should, to rule out physical problems.

Agree with this. What if you are having reflux or gastroparesis... something that can be easily diagnosed but should be treated differently? What if you have celiac, and you are not treating it appropriately?

What are your symptoms? Have you seen a doctor about this already?

It is very easy to start becoming nutritionally deficient, or to gain/loose too much weight when you start experimenting with drastic dietary changes on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness