Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 02:45 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
2 hard boiled eggs and/or a banana.
i was going to say hard boiled eggs, and also (if on a renal diet no eggs and salt) .... apple sauce that comes in single service packs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 02:49 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,526,492 times
Mixed nuts (no peanuts in case of allergies) in a baggie or cupcake liner or paper cup.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:59 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,554 times
There's these handy snack packs from Costco ( although actually any lunch able pack from a grocery store might do)....
Attached Thumbnails
Healthy Snack Involving NO Utensils/Plates, etc.?-img_2383.jpg  

Old 01-27-2018, 06:50 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Almond cookies made with almond flour have a lot less sugar than other types of cookies.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:12 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
Why does a snack for an elderly person always need to be healthy? They have lived long enough to be able to down a few bags of chips now and then. Grapes are also a fantastic idea. Who thinks of grapes as healthy? They're just delicious, sweet and overlooked in places like rehab.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:17 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Why does a snack for an elderly person always need to be healthy? They have lived long enough to be able to down a few bags of chips now and then. Grapes are also a fantastic idea. Who thinks of grapes as healthy? They're just delicious, sweet and overlooked in places like rehab.
box of cigarettes and a macdonald happy meal

Old 01-27-2018, 09:00 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
I don't like grapes because they are so very sweet. They really are a "fruit candy."

Old 01-27-2018, 09:13 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I think a lot of these ideas are really good--and it got easier once the OP came back and explained the situation. At first, I was picturing frail, elderly people, probably in a nursing home, being wheeled into a community room for the rare opportunity to socialize.

But it turns out these are independent "elders" ("seniors") who are gathering to play Scrabble and who would just want something good yet simple to snack on. Finger foods, as someone said--that's what they need. (My 84 year old cousin recently made some apple crisp for her bridge club--her guests loved it. However, the people came to her home so dishes and utensils were not an issue, but that's the type of food she chose. Maybe apple squares that could be eaten by hand?)

I think I'll make a note of some of these excellent suggestions in case I am asked to bring the food some time! (I can never think of what to bring, lol.)

Old 01-27-2018, 10:24 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Boy isn't this the truth...what's left for the aging. Grapes (seeds high in antioxidants) are so under sold and so easy to pop in the mouth. I was in bridge groups for years and we all brought snacks and cheese and crackers were big, sweets and candies were brought which I avoided as BEST I could but to be honest during the years of my bridge groups (after retirement) I put on too much weight. Meds and loss of appetite took it off in rehabs I was in. Now working to keep that extra 30 lbs off.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:26 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I don't like grapes because they are so very sweet. They really are a "fruit candy."
In moderation. Not lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness