Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 12:33 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Maybe that's true about walmart and $10 for 90 days and I guess we're still talking propranolol...I'm bowing out as I'm OK with what I'm paying and don't buy insurance for drugs. And I don't use the propranolol but I have heard so many have drug insurance these days. Depends on strength of pills too.
No, it was for the Linsopril that was mentioned which is on the list. Propranolol is not on the list. And again, the list was not mentioned specifically or only for you. It was for anyone who wanted it or was not aware of the meds on the $4 list. And again, just so there is no confusion, you don't need insurance for the $4 list. You just need a prescription.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 01:53 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I thought I'd post this if it means anything to anyone.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/200...table-Supplier

Old 02-05-2018, 03:15 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
I thought I'd post this if it means anything to anyone.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/200...table-Supplier
Yes, there was talk of problems with that years ago and if you note, all, or most all, of the articles you will find are like the one that you posted which are from 2009 - 2012. I have been unable to find anything more recent regarding that issue and I do believe that is because they are no longer purchasing their generics in the manner that you are eluding to based on this more recent and up to date article from 2016:
Drug Channels: Why Walmart Is Finally Joining McKesson for Generic Purchasing

And just for the record, Walmart was not the only major pharmacy who had been purchasing their generics in that same manner.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:25 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Yes, there was talk of problems with that years ago and if you note, all, or most all, of the articles you will find are like the one that you posted which are from 2009 - 2012. I have been unable to find anything more recent regarding that issue and I do believe that is because they are no longer purchasing their generics in the manner that you are eluding to based on this more recent and up to date article from 2016:
Drug Channels: Why Walmart Is Finally Joining McKesson for Generic Purchasing

And just for the record, Walmart was not the only major pharmacy who had been purchasing their generics in that same manner.

Thanks for this rebuttal. Unfortunately, some people believe anything that's posted on the internet and other people take advantage of this to post unfounded or outdated information.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:40 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
No, it was for the Linsopril that was mentioned which is on the list. Propranolol is not on the list. And again, the list was not mentioned specifically or only for you. It was for anyone who wanted it or was not aware of the meds on the $4 list. And again, just so there is no confusion, you don't need insurance for the $4 list. You just need a prescription.
All well and good - but I get 180 500mg metformin at Costco for about $8, and that is $10 at WM - and I have the Medicaid/Medicare drug coverage THROUGH WALMART. Still cheaper at Costco.

I have been told you don't need a Costco membership to get your meds at Costco, but I don't know if that is true or not. I know you can go in there and use their optometrist services without a membership.

If nothing else, go in with a friend on their card. You won't be able to use a credit card or write a check, I don't think, if you do that, but you can go in and pay cash if you go in with a member for sure. I used to take friends in for odds and ends regularly.

Another way to save on meds (which may or may not be useful to you if you have insurance since insurance will only pay for 90 days at a time) is to get your doc to write a scrip for a whole year. I pay less than $80 per year for my thyroid meds that way, and that would cost me about $60 for a 3 month supply (eg 240 per year). Totally out of pocket since I had no insurance until recently.

Last time I did have insurance I found out that I was paying more for my copay than if I just bought the stuff out of pocket. Always call and check several places for your meds before you just fill a scrip, you might be surprised at what you find out. Check prices without insurance too. Probably not in the same phone call or on the same day though, LOL!

Your best bet for affordable meds are not drug stores. Check WalMart, Sam's Club, and Costco. They have ALWAYS been cheaper for everything I've ever needed than any drug store.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
All well and good - but I get 180 500mg metformin at Costco for about $8, and that is $10 at WM - and I have the Medicaid/Medicare drug coverage THROUGH WALMART. Still cheaper at Costco.

I have been told you don't need a Costco membership to get your meds at Costco, but I don't know if that is true or not. I know you can go in there and use their optometrist services without a membership.

If nothing else, go in with a friend on their card. You won't be able to use a credit card or write a check, I don't think, if you do that, but you can go in and pay cash if you go in with a member for sure. I used to take friends in for odds and ends regularly.

Another way to save on meds (which may or may not be useful to you if you have insurance since insurance will only pay for 90 days at a time) is to get your doc to write a scrip for a whole year. I pay less than $80 per year for my thyroid meds that way, and that would cost me about $60 for a 3 month supply (eg 240 per year). Totally out of pocket since I had no insurance until recently.

Last time I did have insurance I found out that I was paying more for my copay than if I just bought the stuff out of pocket. Always call and check several places for your meds before you just fill a scrip, you might be surprised at what you find out. Check prices without insurance too. Probably not in the same phone call or on the same day though, LOL!

Your best bet for affordable meds are not drug stores. Check WalMart, Sam's Club, and Costco. They have ALWAYS been cheaper for everything I've ever needed than any drug store.

All in all, I do my best to take very few meds and the ones I take are affordable for me. I spend my money on vits/supps for prevention so I don't have to go to drugs. I've had my share of drug side effects and trips to the ER from a drug side effect.

Yrs ago when I was taking Lorazepam after I had a panic attack and then found myself get scripts for this benzo, I found best prices at Costco..but now I won't go with the benzos as so much info about the benzo/alzheimer connection. For me, the less drugs the better.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:28 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
I guess I don’t understand why propranolol is so expensive for you. It is a generic beta-blocker that was prescribed for me at least 20 years ago for a cardiac arrhythmia condition & hypertension. I take a time-released capsule daily. It helped my health situation immediately with no side effects. Are you sure that you are being prescribed the generic version, because as I said, it is cheap.

Someone mentioned lisinopril. It is an ACE inhibitor, used for treating hypertension, but in a different drug class than propranolol. They are not interchangeable.

You do not need a Costco membership to fill rx there, although they will knock off a few dollars from the rx cost...not much, though.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 02-06-2018 at 03:44 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 04:10 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
FWIW, mine was 90 days for $3 and change with two refills at a drive-in CVS. You can't get much cheaper than that.

A friend of mine, a middle aged pianist, revealed that she was prescribed a low dose which she takes before bedtime for HBP. I'm supposed to take two a day. So apparently this is a fairly old remedy for a number of things including HBP, essential tremor and performance anxiety, has no likely side effects, but shouldn't be stopped abruptly?

Old 02-06-2018, 09:42 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
Quote:
All in all, I do my best to take very few meds and the ones I take are affordable for me. I spend my money on vits/supps for prevention so I don't have to go to drugs. I've had my share of drug side effects and trips to the ER from a drug side effect.

Yrs ago when I was taking Lorazepam after I had a panic attack and then found myself get scripts for this benzo, I found best prices at Costco..but now I won't go with the benzos as so much info about the benzo/alzheimer connection. For me, the less drugs the better.
Wow. So my thyroid dysfunction is due to moral turpitude then? I didn't take enough vitamins when I was 4?

Get real. Avoiding needed meds is dumb. Other than avoiding specific nutrient deficiencies, vitamins will not keep you from getting sick.

As for a putative "Alzheimer's-Benzo link", I'm aware of that study and similar studies. This phrase is pretty telling re study design:

"Once the groups were set, the researchers looked at the drug prescriptions during the five to six years preceding the Alzheimer’s diagnosis."

What they found was a correlation. To repeat (yet again) that old statistical saw, "Correlation is not Causation".

You do realize that anxiety and sleep difficulties are harbingers of Alzheimers? Most likely what they are seeing is that in the 5 to 6 years before Alzheimer's becomes OBVIOUS, people were getting treated for symptoms being caused by Alzheimer's before anyone knew they had it.

This is like saying that a study found a strong correlation between taking aspirin and headaches and then concluding that aspirin causes headaches.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Wow. So my thyroid dysfunction is due to moral turpitude then? I didn't take enough vitamins when I was 4?

Get real. Avoiding needed meds is dumb. Other than avoiding specific nutrient deficiencies, vitamins will not keep you from getting sick.

As for a putative "Alzheimer's-Benzo link", I'm aware of that study and similar studies. This phrase is pretty telling re study design:

"Once the groups were set, the researchers looked at the drug prescriptions during the five to six years preceding the Alzheimer’s diagnosis."

What they found was a correlation. To repeat (yet again) that old statistical saw, "Correlation is not Causation".

You do realize that anxiety and sleep difficulties are harbingers of Alzheimers? Most likely what they are seeing is that in the 5 to 6 years before Alzheimer's becomes OBVIOUS, people were getting treated for symptoms being caused by Alzheimer's before anyone knew they had it.

This is like saying that a study found a strong correlation between taking aspirin and headaches and then concluding that aspirin causes headaches.
I have gotten real FOR ME, I do take thyroid med and BP meds and for 10 long years MD's didn't dx a thyroid dsyfunction when I hit my early 50"s...and I tried for a long time to avoid BP drugs as they are a lifetime drug too. But I went ahead with what my MD suggested...why jump to conclusions about other's choices of what they do for their health.

And when I heard the "fear" of demetia/alz and benzos, I stopped with the low dose. There are many supps for "calming" the body including meditation. I know many think that is a bad word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness