Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 10:41 AM

10,851 posts, read 7,256,603 times

Advertisements

I started wearing corrective lenses at night long before I needed them during the day. They give me extra clarity that helps offset the dark.

Hubster swears by the yellow-tinted anti-headlight glasses when he drives at night. I've tried them and don't think they make much difference. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 12:35 PM

2,522 posts, read 1,878,806 times
Dry eye can impact your vision. You need that layer of moisture to properly focus. My optometrist recommended OTC saline eye drops in individual little containers. They help. I had no idea I had dry eye until he told me...I just knew that I found myself blinking a lot when night driving to try to see. It was the dry eye.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:44 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,099,295 times
First thing you need to do is see an eye doctor to find out why you are losing your night vision.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:36 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,766,555 times
I have ALWAYS had trouble with night time driving, particularly in the rain, but its mostly related to having little or no distance vision - it is way harder to estimate how far away something is in the dark when you have no depth perception to speak of.

That said, if your vision has changed, there is a problem and you should see an ophthalmologist.

Also you need not vitamin A, but its precursor, beta carotene. Vitamin A builds up in the liver and can cause damage if you over do it. Beta carotene will convert to Vitamin A in the body and the excess beta carotene is easily shed. Way harder to over do it. Look for a beta carotene supplement. Or eat more carrots and sweet potatoes.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:54 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,623,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I have ALWAYS had trouble with night time driving, particularly in the rain, but its mostly related to having little or no distance vision - it is way harder to estimate how far away something is in the dark when you have no depth perception to speak of.

That said, if your vision has changed, there is a problem and you should see an ophthalmologist.

Also you need not vitamin A, but its precursor, beta carotene. Vitamin A builds up in the liver and can cause damage if you over do it. Beta carotene will convert to Vitamin A in the body and the excess beta carotene is easily shed. Way harder to over do it. Look for a beta carotene supplement. Or eat more carrots and sweet potatoes.
I posted in Alt Med about night vision support. Vit A is something I've never thought about but over many years heard "eat your carrots, they are good for your eyes"....that's the beta carotene.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:00 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,250,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post

Be careful with beta carotene if you are a current or even a past smoker:
https://www.drweil.com/vitamins-supp...beta-carotene/

One of the studies that led to this conclusion was conducted in Finland by the U.S. National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the National Public Health Institute of Finland. It found 18 percent more lung cancers and eight percent more overall deaths among 29,133 male smokers given a supplement containing 20 mg of beta carotene and 50 mg of vitamin E.

A second NCI-funded study found 28 percent more lung cancers and 17 percent more deaths among adults taking supplements of beta-carotene and vitamin E. This study included 14,254 men and women between the ages of 50 and 69 who were smokers or former smokers as well as 4,060 men between 45 and 69 who had been exposed to asbestos at work.

A third study, involving 22,071 male U.S. physicians, 11 percent of them smokers, showed neither benefit nor harm in the group that took beta-carotene.
None of these results suggests that beta-carotene supplements cause lung cancer, but they do indicate that they don’t help to prevent it where smoking is a risk factor.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:08 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,048,556 times
Okay thanks, I can try an eye doctor. I never smoked, so that's probably not the problem I'm guessing.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:05 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,176,498 times
My night vision has never been very good. It has always taken me 25 minutes or more for my eyes to adapt to a sudden change in lighting. I have never heard of any generally successful remedy for poor night vision except for cataracts, but that's not always the cause. Usually, you just have to adapt to it. Avoid driving after dark if need be. I do.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:30 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,891,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Basically when I drive at night I find it harder to see than I use to, and I have to drive slower, cause I'm afraid I'm going to something or afraid a car might come out of the dark, that I won't see coming since I feel my sight of distance isn't as good.

I guess I could go do the doctor about it, but I'm worried, is it just matter of something happening when one gets older? I'm in my early 30s now.
It does without saying to get an eye exam. You probably need glasses or a glasses prescription change. A good anti-reflective coating in your glasses can do wonders in improving night driving. Glare from the headlights of oncoming cars, fluorescent street lights, and other objects can negatively affect your night driving. Photochromic coatings (i.e. Transitions) will not reduce glare at night. It only reduces daytime glare.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:28 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,048,556 times
Oh okay. I don't think glare is the problem, things just look darker. But I will get it checked and see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness