Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 09:38 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,177,484 times

Advertisements

Laser assisted cataract surgery is not covered by Medicare and averages $5,000+. There is a controversy among ophthalmologists as to whether laser is better than traditional. I had the traditional surgery paid mostly by Medicare and now have 20/20 distance vision without glasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 09:47 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I had it done and am very pleased with the results. It's worth noting that if you are near sighted (you can see things up close clearly but not far away) you will be far sighted after the surgery, and need reading glasses to see things up close.

I suffered from corneal erosion and needed a medical procedure to repair this (they basically "scrubbed" my corneas of problem cells on the surface) and the doctor said since we are doing this (covered by insurance) he would also do Lasik the same day for $1500.00. That's the main reason I paid for this, it became more reasonably priced.

The "surgery" is a joke, lasers did all the work, the doctor only puts your eye measurements into the machine, and presto!, you no longer need glasses to see far away. How they justify that price is just another example of price gouging.
Yet, it seems the same ophthalmologists get sued a lot more than average.

Technique and patient selection is very important. You have over corrections, under corrections, halos, keratitis, flap complications, ghosting, even blindness. But hey, if you want to go to “Nick’s House of Lasik” with 17 pending malpractice suits, have at it.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You just proved their point.

Also most people shop around for their doctors. I have been to four for my problem.
If you had a life or death situation like sudden appendicitis - you would not be shopping around for the best price. You would need immediate attention.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:50 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Yet, it seems the same ophthalmologists get sued a lot more than average.

Technique and patient selection is very important. You have over corrections, under corrections, halos, keratitis, flap complications, ghosting, even blindness. But hey, if you want to go to “Nick’s House of Lasik” with 17 pending malpractice suits, have at it.
The machine did all the work. Lasik eye surgery is not a doctor using a scalpel to reshape your cornea (do they still do this?), it is a machine you lay under for 10 minutes that uses lasers to reshape your cornea. Not sure what your point is, but my doctor's job was taking measurements and plugging them into a machine.

But I agree with you that patient selection, and making the correct measurements, are best done by a qualified ophthalmologist. Don't ever make your decision based on price for this type of surgery, your vision is too important to gamble with.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:52 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Gets cheaper every year.
That's really nice but how is this about politics and controversies? What does that have to do with anything at all? I noticed the price of coffee went down slightly last week as well.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:53 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The machine did all the work. Lasik eye surgery is not a doctor using a scalpel to reshape your cornea, it is a machine you lay under for 10 minutes that uses lasers to reshape your cornea. Not sure what your point is, but my doctor's job was taking measurements and plugging them into a machine.

But I agree with you that patient selection, and making the correct measurements, are best done by a qualified ophthalmologist. Don't ever try and save money on this type of surgery, your vision is too important to gamble with.
I work with a lot of ophthalmologists. Some, I would trust to treat my kids. Others, I wouldn’t trust to treat my dog.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:37 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
My guess is that it is a statement about how medical expenses go down when you have to pay for them yourself. Just a guess though.
Good guess.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:56 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's really nice but how is this about politics and controversies? What does that have to do with anything at all? I noticed the price of coffee went down slightly last week as well.
You dont think discussuion of the guv/crony corp. run health care system belongs in poc?

Old 02-04-2018, 11:00 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Gets cheaper every year.
I am getting mine done in Europe. It's about half price.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:02 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Good guess.
Much in medicine can be relatively free marketed. Some can't. Like emergencies, and serious and complex medical conditions like many cancers.

Many non-emergent conditions and encounters can be free marketed. Much of out patient testing and many procedures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness