Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 11:34 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,318,692 times

Advertisements

The bronchitis cough is pure hell! Once I tried coughing it out because I thought that was the healthiest route. Never again. It took 3 months for the soreness to heal from all that hacking (and I ended up with prescription syrup anyway). Now, anything past a couple of nights, I head straight to the doc's for a Rx. It's not worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 11:43 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
And for real druggies? THey will find a way to get high no matter what. That's why we have an epidemic. So why not meet in the middle and give small amounts of meds at the patient's request? To completely deny me meds that will stop me from coughing and help me sleep does not make this country a better place.
A big part of the epidemic is prescription meds, not just the stuff made in someones kitchen or brought in from other countries. Prescription drugs ARE street drugs.
And honestly you sound pretty offended that the doctor couldn't just 'see' that you are a god moral upright law abiding person and not a drug seeker, and that he should give you those types of drugs based on your say so. You could probably do that with a doctor you had a relationship with, but to walk in and ask that of a doctor you don't know, that's bound to raise an eyebrow, he has no way of knowing whether you are a drug seeker. I totally understand why they would want to start with a less controversial treatment, one that works for most people.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:00 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Do pharmacies still compound?

Did you find any biography of your doctor?

A few years ago, I got a prescription that had to be compounded at a local "professional" pharmacy.

Here's his obit from the "Baltimore Sun" that mentions the "Mansdorfer mixture":

G. B.

October 01, 1990
Services for Dr. G. Bowers Mansdorfer, a retired pediatrician who cared for four generations of Baltimore families, will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the First English Lutheran Church, Charles and 39th streets.
Dr. Mansdorfer, who lived and had an office on North Charles Street, died of heart failure Friday at his daughter's home in Timonium. He was 86.
Born in Baltimore, he graduated from Gettysburg College in 1926 and was a 1930 graduate of the University of Maryland School of Medicine. He served his internship at Mercy Hospital from 1930 to 1931.

Early in his career, Dr. Mansdorfer specialized in the study of childhood diabetes and spent time in Europe studying the disease. He had a fondness for prescribing goat's milk and his famous "Mansdorfer mixture" cough remedy.
Dr. Mansdorfer was a member of the American and Southern medical associations, the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons and the state medical society. He also served as an associate professor of pediatrics at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and was a charter member of the Gettysburg College Board of Fellows.
Dr. Mansdorfer continued to make house calls until his retirement in 1988 from the medical staff at Mercy Medical Center, where he held emeritus status. At his request, the G. Bowers Mansdorfer Pediatric Education Fund was established at Mercy to provide continuing education for the hospital's pediatric staff.
His wife, the former Louisa Warfield Hook, died in 1984.
Dr. Mansdorfer is survived by a son, John B. Mansdorfer of Delmar, Calif.; a daughter, Catherine Petrich of Timonium; and four grandchildren.
The family suggested donations to the Mercy Medical Center Development Fund.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:44 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
There you go; just take a swig of goat's milk next time you have a cough! I wonder if he had a little codeine hidden in there?

Old 02-08-2018, 02:11 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Do pharmacies still compound? I think the mortise and pestles are for show now days; unless I am missing something?
Yes, some still do. I use one though it also happens to be the only pharmacy in that town. They also compounded for the local vet clinics. They had a few of their own concoctions including a "behind the counter" cough syrup that local GPs and their long term known patients could request. They tracked each patient's use of it, limited the frequency and number of refills for obvious reasons. If someone walked into a provider's office for the first time and demanded it over the widely available OTC options take a wild guess what would happen?

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-08-2018 at 02:21 PM..

Old 02-08-2018, 02:43 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,632 times
I had that nasty strain of the flu 3 weeks ago. The doctor gave me a wonderful cough syrup and decongestant mix. I asked if it was really any better than Nyquil. He said it definitely was (a narcotic) and to not take it with any other medication other than advil and to make sure I was at home to stay when I took it. Boy, he was NOT kidding! That stuff was amazing and I slept like a corpse! Totally knocked me out. I took it every night until it was gone, a little over a week's worth. Not sure what was in it but the best stuff ever.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:28 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
If you haven't had bronchitis, where you do a double cough every two minutes, 24 hours a day, occasionally becoming a spastic cough to the point of making you vomit, then you really don't know what the hell you're talking about, do you?

I have bronchitis every winter. Right now I have a pulled muscle in my abdomen from this year's round. I have a co-worker who just had a hernia surgery. How do you think my bronchitis would work out if I had just had hernia surgery?
The OP doesn't have either of those conditions/situations.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:46 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,309 times
I remember a cough syrup back in the day (1960's) that they would give you for a croupy cough. I was thick and yellow, didn't taste like pineapple like some of the others have described. Does anyone remember what that syrup may have been called? It worked well.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:06 PM

581 posts, read 456,264 times
I have an absolutely miserable head cold right now and my husband stopped at the grocery store to pick up some DayQuil syrup. He practically had to submit to a full body cavity search and background check before they'd sell it to him.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:57 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
I'm lucky in that I don't get sick often. About 10 years ago I had super bad bronchitis. After 2 weeks of coughing I finally went to the doctor and I got a few things including a thick cough syrup. I don't know the name. I just know that I finally slept the night for the first time in 2 weeks. They gave me 3, maybe 4 day's worth and that was it.

So the past couple of weeks I'm sick again. Coughing and congested bad. Went to the doctor and he prescribes and asthma inhaler, prednisolone pills and these small gel pills. He said the prednisolone would "give me energy" and that I would be hungry. Well I was constantly starving, non stop cravings and the energy was more like heart racing jitters. The exact opposite of what you want to feel when you need to be resting!

The small pills were supposed to suppress my cough. They did not. They numb your throat and give a weird feeling. I asked can I just get regular prescription cough medicine and the doctor just made a face like, "Silly girl, we have new and better drugs now." My doctor is probably 20 years younger than me.

We're self employed and pay over $700 a month for our health insurance and we barely use it. No subsidies. We pay the full amount each month. I felt like I was being treated like a junkie or something. And it annoys me because I have never done drugs in my life. I rarely drink. I've never smoked. If I drag myself to the doctor I want something strong and especially to help me stop coughing and sleep. It just seemed strange to prescribe asthma inhalers and prednisone.

If I get sick again, I'll skip the doctor and stick with Nyquil.

So no more prescription cough medicine or is it just my doctor?

No.Not just your doctor.

I've been struggling with the after effects of flu since Christmas. Namely, a persistent and tenacious cough.

The "small gel pills" are USELESS!

I am a late middle aged woman who is well dressed and in shape. When I lived in NY State I always was given cough syrup - not "thick"- with codeine. Since I was a young adult, that was what was prescribed.

I have never become an addict. The codeine took care of the cough, and also aided in sleeping.

Ohio has a huge opiod epidemic, however, I am not a part of that.

When a patient presents with obvious symptoms such as a productive cough, doctors should treat them with medicine that is appropriate for that condition, not assume that every patient is a potential drug addict.

I am tired of this nonsense, and at my age, this persistent cough is wearing me out. I was at my correct weight, but I have lost eight lbs. since becoming sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness