Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 09:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLaRock1 View Post

These companys & gov well know the dangers of opiods and herion addiction, but they allowed doctors to prescripe it so that they could make billions.
When are they going to be held accountable for releasing this plaque on society
I think this is where most people get confused or have it wrong altogether...

If big pharma and Govt were so intent on making as much money as they could from all these opioid addicts, why did Govt create laws that made them almost impossible to get in 2012? Plus, why would the pharma companies have agreed to such drastic regulation of drugs that were selling like hotcakes?

If these 2 entities wanted to make billions, they would have just slapped sin taxes on specific opioid drugs and allow doctors to keep writing scripts for them.

It makes no sense to restrict access to a product to the point where its almost impossible to get if your goal is making as much money as possible????

Id love to hear anyone explain this.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:02 AM

1,186 posts, read 102,013 times
10 years ago if someone said OxyCodine, I would have thought it was a cleaning product to rival OxyClean,
had never heard of it and wouldnt have assumed it was opium.

These Pharma, FDA, Gov all knew what is was, what havoc it caused on society in the 60s and yet chose to
doll it out as the new miracle drug, giving Drs kick backs for prescribing it.
The knew what they were pedalling, the FDA approved it & the Gov allowed it to happen.

It should have never been brought back and unleashed on the populous, it was not an unknown side effect.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:22 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
10 years ago if someone said OxyCodine, I would have thought it was a cleaning product to rival OxyClean,
had never heard of it and wouldnt have assumed it was opium.

These Pharma, FDA, Gov all knew what is was, what havoc it caused on society in the 60s and yet chose to
doll it out as the new miracle drug, giving Drs kick backs for prescribing it.
The knew what they were pedalling, the FDA approved it & the Gov allowed it to happen.

It should have never been brought back and unleashed on the populous, it was not an unknown side effect.

I was not paying attention to any of these drugs in the 60's and didn't know anything about the hard stuff until Darvocet and hip replacement issue in 2010. I've had pain issues in my life but was always able to handle them except of course for a major surgery.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:55 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm very sorry but I refuse to buy it...it's an easy out or excuse for not taking responsibility.

I never said, everyone gets addicted nor did I suggest that everyone can get off the drugs on their own. If I did, point it out to me please.

If a human being knows, a drug is addictive, then why play with it, just to see? It's no one's fault but the person doing the drug.

Now, if the person is in chronic pain, and needs the drugs, I can see it happening, but even then, you wouldn't have the epidemic that is happening now....common sense.
Amen!

Old 02-15-2018, 02:15 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I think this is where most people get confused or have it wrong altogether...

If big pharma and Govt were so intent on making as much money as they could from all these opioid addicts, why did Govt create laws that made them almost impossible to get in 2012? Plus, why would the pharma companies have agreed to such drastic regulation of drugs that were selling like hotcakes?

If these 2 entities wanted to make billions, they would have just slapped sin taxes on specific opioid drugs and allow doctors to keep writing scripts for them.

It makes no sense to restrict access to a product to the point where its almost impossible to get if your goal is making as much money as possible????

Id love to hear anyone explain this.
Somehow this seems unlikely. Consider Occam's Razor. This would only continue to work if the vast majority of patients were totally unaware of the potential risks from using the medications. This is NO LONGER the case so I have my doubts that there's some massive conspiracy. IMHO that dog won't hunt any longer if it ever did. In the end, its a multi-faceted problem that can't be pinned on any one player. Continually shuttling blame around doesn't accomplish much unless it lets someone feel justified. Its easier to blame than to do something constructive. Some people need pain relief. Others abuse the medication regardless whether they started off needing it or not. There are suppliers who will happily cater to anyone's whim. There are those who take advantage of criminal activity in order to get operating funds.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-15-2018 at 02:50 PM..

Old 02-15-2018, 02:45 PM

1,186 posts, read 102,013 times
What about all those children with birth defects in the 50's from Thanlidomide
Should we blmae the mothers, hey they're the ones who chose to take it.

No, they wanted to manage birth control, went to their doctors who prescribe this & they took it
under the assumption that Drs knows best.

Mean while we later find out the true effects, butagian who knew at that time what the real danger it was.
Amd the FDA approved & allowed it......

Kinda sorta like the same thing.. 10 years ago I had never heard of oxycodine, but I knew how dangerous opium & heroin were... but did they tell people thats what they're being given

Old 02-15-2018, 03:36 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:

No, they wanted to manage birth control, went to their doctors who prescribe this & they took it

Mean while we later find out the true effects, butagian who knew at that time what the real danger it was.

Kinda sorta like the same thing.. 10 years ago I had never heard of oxycodine, but I knew how dangerous opium & heroin were... but did they tell people thats what they're being given
Oxycodone has been around since 1916....has been used in the US since the 1930's

The earliest combined form, Percodan, Oxycodone + aspirin has been around since at least 1970...

So what do you think post surgical patients were given after surgery in 1960, 1970, 1980, etc etc

A bullet and a shot of whiskey???

There is nothing "new" about opioid pain medications. Other forms of oxycodone such as Tylox, Percodan, Percocet etc have also been abused for decades...

What was new was the extended release form of oxycodone, Oxycontin, that was released in 1996 and the marketing campaign that followed...

Originally meant for cancer pain Purdue Pharmaceuticals marketed this medication for EVERY type of pain and misrepresented the abuse potential.

Oxycontin marketing is responsible for a lot of the necessary push back by the government to limit over prescribing of opioids which I believe is a good thing.

There is NO comparison between Thalidomide and Oxycodone by the way....so not "kinda of the same thing"

Old 02-15-2018, 04:29 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times
Quote:

thalidomide was/is not for birth control.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:40 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Somehow this seems unlikely. Consider Occam's Razor. This would only continue to work if the vast majority of patients were totally unaware of the potential risks from using the medications. This is NO LONGER the case so I have my doubts that there's some massive conspiracy. IMHO that dog won't hunt any longer if it ever did. In the end, its a multi-faceted problem that can't be pinned on any one player. Continually shuttling blame around doesn't accomplish much unless it lets someone feel justified. Its easier to blame than to do something constructive. Some people need pain relief. Others abuse the medication regardless whether they started off needing it or not. There are suppliers who will happily cater to anyone's whim. There are those who take advantage of criminal activity in order to get operating funds.
I do believe there is a conspiracy behind this, I know I will be instantly discredited for saying this, but so be it.

The fact that not a single pharma company tried to legally challenge the tough new regulations, even though these drugs were flying off the shelves and many addicts were willing to pay 100X the retail price just to get them.

Another interesting aspect was the sudden availability of heroin in my area around the same time as these laws went into effect. It was like all the sudden it was everywhere and CHEAP. Heroin was always present before this time, but during that time frame, it drastically increased and the price went steadily up. Its almost like they knew this was going to happen and ensured there was enough of the drug in the area to meet demand.

Besides all that, we know for a fact the Govt was heavily involved in the illegal drug trade back in the 70s and 80s, they were making money off it just like the dealers and suppliers were, the CIA even used the profits to fund secret projects! If they were involved then, and wiling to engage in criminal behavior at the expense of public health/ safety, why would that be different today?

Old 02-16-2018, 07:59 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I do believe there is a conspiracy behind this, I know I will be instantly discredited for saying this, but so be it.

The fact that not a single pharma company tried to legally challenge the tough new regulations, even though these drugs were flying off the shelves and many addicts were willing to pay 100X the retail price just to get them.

Another interesting aspect was the sudden availability of heroin in my area around the same time as these laws went into effect. It was like all the sudden it was everywhere and CHEAP. Heroin was always present before this time, but during that time frame, it drastically increased and the price went steadily up. Its almost like they knew this was going to happen and ensured there was enough of the drug in the area to meet demand.

Besides all that, we know for a fact the Govt was heavily involved in the illegal drug trade back in the 70s and 80s, they were making money off it just like the dealers and suppliers were, the CIA even used the profits to fund secret projects! If they were involved then, and wiling to engage in criminal behavior at the expense of public health/ safety, why would that be different today?
First off, you have a right to your opinion...and as long as there are human beings walking this earth there will be conspiracies. Man is motivated by money, power and sex. Caine killing Able was in fact a conspiracy wasn't it? The Kennedy Assassination is a conspiracy....Lincoln's assassination was a conspiracy...The Great Tea Party was a Conspiracy...and I could go on and on....but the fact of the matter is, if people mock you for believing there is a conspiracy, behind this, than they have awful shallow minds.

you may very well be right, but I believe this is a much larger situation....and there are many factors that fall into place with this, including this.

there will always be a drug problem. We had a huge problem back in the 60's. It's just now a different time and different situations but the bottom line here is, why do people so readily take these meds without thinking or reading or questioning?

I don't believe it's all doctors and pharms, I believe it's more and bigger than that....

1. Stress factors
2. Kids not being afraid of any consequence
3. Parents not raising their kids to believe there is a consequence
4. Kids not being able to cope b/c they are pamered and given everything
5. Kids not having jobs, and working for what they want instead of giving them everything they want.
6. Parents who shouldn't even be parents...who let their kids go anywhere and do everything they want.

I mean it is not b/c of one thing, but many....which is a collective reason....and dysfunction on the part of a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness