Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 03:42 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,528,589 times

Advertisements

Have you had good results in receiving a Synvisc injection (often called rooster comb fluid) in your knee for osteoarthritis? It seems to work for some people, and not others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 04:04 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Have you had good results in receiving a Synvisc injection (often called rooster comb fluid) in your knee for osteoarthritis? It seems to work for some people, and not others.
I had SynVisc some yrs ago and then yrs later tried Eufflexa (same stuff, diff mfg) and neither one did a thing for me. My gut tells what could help my knees but money is standing in my way. These "worthless" injections are covered by insurance and they don't work for most, I'd say, maybe for a short time but I can't speak for all of the ones who did them.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:22 PM

22,564 posts, read 24,353,783 times
I have heard very mixed reviews of the injectables for joint problems.

From great to it did nothing at all.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:31 PM

I have a 64 year old male friend who was in severe pain when trying to walk with osteoarthritis in his knee and major loss of cartilage. He had to curtail walking.

He had a 'rooster comb fluid' shot (not sure if Synvisc or Eufflexa) in October 2017 and his knee majorly improved so that the severe pain is gone when walking, and he can walk around almost like a normal person, and even goes on European trips all the time, which require lots of walking.

He is one of the biggest success stories of the injections which I have heard of.

I had one Synvisc injection about 9 years ago, and I think it helped for several months or maybe 6 months. And then I think a second shot later was less effective.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:57 PM

As I understand it, these are given in 3 shot series. About 2 weeks apart thinking back when I had them.

Your friend sounds like an exception from all I've heard and my own experience.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:20 PM

A person has a choice of one shot called Synvisc-One or a series of 3 shots called Synvisc. This is what was offered to my friend.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
A person has a choice of one shot called Synvisc-One or a series of 3 shots called Synvisc. This is what was offered to my friend.
Oh maybe that makes the difference, one whopping shot. I was NOT offered that yrs ago. How long has your friend been going with that one big shot? They are lubricants and do no healing per se.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-17-2018 at 07:50 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 03:18 AM

764 posts, read 93,605 times
They didn’t help me, I had a series of them. I had no cartilege left, was bone-on-bone, so that may be the reason. I did have joint replacement surgery and it was successful.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:47 AM

8,644 posts, read 22,786,365 times
I had the shots about 8 years ago and have not been back to the doctor since, with relatively minor pain. I had 2 shots, I believe. Before the round of shots, I did get a cortisone injection. I was told both knees were in bad shape, and the knee treated required replacement. I feel blessed to be on borrowed time.

I have a real fear of knee replacement surgery. I know of no one that has been a success story, unless they were at the 100% crippled status. One former boss has had 2 subsequent surgeries to get it right.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I had the shots about 8 years ago and have not been back to the doctor since, with relatively minor pain. I had 2 shots, I believe. Before the round of shots, I did get a cortisone injection. I was told both knees were in bad shape, and the knee treated required replacement. I feel blessed to be on borrowed time.

I have a real fear of knee replacement surgery. I know of no one that has been a success story, unless they were at the 100% crippled status. One former boss has had 2 subsequent surgeries to get it right.
I still have cartlidge as I bend my knee good and even cycle it now more than ever, and I do believe the Cosamin DS I've posted in supplements is doing a good job now in 4th month. I fear knee replacement surgery so keep plugging along as I do. One person I know of from a friend supposedly did great with new knee parts as he was a major athlete that continued after surgery. I don't know how he's doing lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness