Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 03:06 PM

34 posts, read 36,816 times

Advertisements

Hi, guys.

I have a really weird sleeping pattern/problem and I don't know how to fix it.

There were two nights recently when I actually woke up feeling well-rested; I went to sleep around 1:00 am and got up around 7:00 am. Which leads me to believe that my body maybe only needs 6 hours of sleep and that I should try to go to bed at 1 every night.

But the problem is, I get tired WAY earlier most nights. Often I'm ready to go to bed at 9, and it takes effort for me to even stay up until 11. Then I go to sleep and I have very little problem FALLING asleep, but I ALWAYS wake up in the middle of the night, anywhere from 1 am to 3:30 am. Often I have to use the bathroom, even though I've tried to limit my water intake before bed. Often I'll also be hungry and have a snack before trying to go back to bed, then lying awake and being unable to fall back asleep sometimes for an hour or more. Then waking up again at 7, and feeling tired during the day, and then wanting to go to bed early, and the vicious cycle continues.

Any advice? I don't know how to get myself to stay up until 1 every morning when I feel so tired and NOT well-rested during the day. Coffee doesn't really help. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 03:23 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
You've heard the expression: Early to Bed, Early To Rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. That's an old expression. I'm old and at this point in my life and have worked hard on a sleep routine and I'm at the pillow at 10PM or so and sleeping in 15-20 minutes. My sleep combo is in Alt Med area.

I've read over the years we get our HGH production between 10PM-2AM when we are sleeping.

Hope you can figure it out for you.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:28 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Any chance you have Sleep Apnea? Perhaps you should check into that possibility.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:31 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incandescence View Post
Hi, guys.

I have a really weird sleeping pattern/problem and I don't know how to fix it.

There were two nights recently when I actually woke up feeling well-rested; I went to sleep around 1:00 am and got up around 7:00 am. Which leads me to believe that my body maybe only needs 6 hours of sleep and that I should try to go to bed at 1 every night.

But the problem is, I get tired WAY earlier most nights. Often I'm ready to go to bed at 9, and it takes effort for me to even stay up until 11. Then I go to sleep and I have very little problem FALLING asleep, but I ALWAYS wake up in the middle of the night, anywhere from 1 am to 3:30 am. Often I have to use the bathroom, even though I've tried to limit my water intake before bed. Often I'll also be hungry and have a snack before trying to go back to bed, then lying awake and being unable to fall back asleep sometimes for an hour or more. Then waking up again at 7, and feeling tired during the day, and then wanting to go to bed early, and the vicious cycle continues.

Any advice? I don't know how to get myself to stay up until 1 every morning when I feel so tired and NOT well-rested during the day. Coffee doesn't really help. :/
Do you drink alcohol in the evening? I had the same problem as you. I stopped daily cocktails, and sleep straight through the night.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Do you drink alcohol in the evening? I had the same problem as you. I stopped daily cocktails, and sleep straight through the night.
No, I only drink once in a blue moon, and even then, rarely at night. :/

Old 02-20-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Any chance you have Sleep Apnea? Perhaps you should check into that possibility.
I never thought that I did, but I should check into it. Thanks!

Old 02-20-2018, 10:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Awakening around 3 a.m. and not being able to fall back asleep is a classic sign of depression. Snoring or twitching is a classic sign of sleep apnea.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:39 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Awakening around 3 a.m. and not being able to fall back asleep is a classic sign of depression. Snoring or twitching is a classic sign of sleep apnea.
I'm not depressed and I wake up a lot during the night for bathroom (older age thing) and tryptophan and B6 added to my combo gets me back to sleep pretty quickly.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:44 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,235 times
How's your circadian rhythm? Get as much full sun on your skin and eyes as you can during the day, turn off all lights an hour before sunset, DONE! Anything less may work, but you are really cheating yourself if you aren't strict.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:11 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I sometimes wake up too early (3 or 4AM)- if I can't get back to sleep, I read for a while, then leave the light on and roll over away from the light and I go right back to sleep. It's like I'm cheating or something by sleeping instead of reading.

My best sleep tip is plenty of exercise during the day. When I'm stuck inside all day, I have trouble getting to sleep that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness