Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 12:13 PM

993 posts, read 766,406 times

Advertisements

I’m not sure if this topic is allowed and may be deleted.

I live in Maryland and was just approved for medical marijuana use. I suffer ongoing, chronic daily migraines as the result of a brain injury four years ago. I’ve tried everything to combat the pain to no avail. My neurologist suggested medical marijuana.

So I need to buy some at the dispensary. I don’t know what I’m doing though I suspect I’ll get some helpful advice at the dispensary. But I wanted to reach out on this forum as well.

Has anyone tried marijuana for chronic migraines? Did it help? What strain do you use? Is it more helpful to inhale or take edibles? Any info and experience you can provide will be appreciated.

I’m trying not to get too hopeful. But...oh....if I could get my life back and live pain free. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 12:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
No advice about MJ but have you tried feverfew? An herbal liquid that has been proved to decrease frequency and severity of migraines: 4 double-blind peer reviewed studies published in The Lancet, the British equivalent of JAMA. It was a life-saver for me. Taken daily. I was using 600 mg CBD oil for pain and it helped a lkt. But after 2.5 months, I realized I had gotten so apathetic I couldn't get anything done. Had to stop it.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
No advice about MJ but have you tried feverfew? An herbal liquid that has been proved to decrease frequency and severity of migraines: 4 double-blind peer reviewed studies published in The Lancet, the British equivalent of JAMA. It was a life-saver for me. Taken daily. I was using 600 mg CBD oil for pain and it helped a lkt. But after 2.5 months, I realized I had gotten so apathetic I couldn't get anything done. Had to stop it.
CBD oil did nothing for me. I will look at feverfew. Thank you. I’ve tried all the medical remedies...Botox, drugs, acupuncture, other therapies. I'm worn down. Thanks again.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:22 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
I’m not sure if this topic is allowed and may be deleted.

I live in Maryland and was just approved for medical marijuana use. I suffer ongoing, chronic daily migraines as the result of a brain injury four years ago. I’ve tried everything to combat the pain to no avail. My neurologist suggested medical marijuana.

So I need to buy some at the dispensary. I don’t know what I’m doing though I suspect I’ll get some helpful advice at the dispensary. But I wanted to reach out on this forum as well.

Has anyone tried marijuana for chronic migraines? Did it help? What strain do you use? Is it more helpful to inhale or take edibles? Any info and experience you can provide will be appreciated.

I’m trying not to get too hopeful. But...oh....if I could get my life back and live pain free. Thanks.
My better half has migraines on a regular basis. THC and CBD oil haven't been helpful when used in vaping, however, we also live in Maryland and she has had great success dealing with her migraines using Mary's Medicinals, which is most likely available at every dispensary.

In particular she uses Mary's CBD muscle freeze, Mary's 1:1 half THC and half CBD, applied to the neck and shoulder area. The freeze is used on the forehead.

Good luck.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:00 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:

I understand this completely. I hope you find something to help.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I understand this completely. I hope you find something to help.
Thank you, it’s gratifying to be understood. I went to the medical marijuana dispensary yesterday. The employees were well educated and helped me find a strain that worked well for head pain. Ha! I needed an education from soup to nuts. I ended up purchasing a THC oil that is vaped.

Last night I ingested too much and was high. I don’t like that feeling.....yeah, I know....crazy, right? I was pain free but I was stoned. This morning I took a micro dose along with some CBD oil. Oh my gosh. I am headache free and I’m not high. It’s been 2.5 hours and I’m still headache free. First time in 4 years.

I’m afraid to move....lol....I don’t trust it. I don’t want to burst this painfree bubble.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:30 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Thank you, it’s gratifying to be understood. I went to the medical marijuana dispensary yesterday. The employees were well educated and helped me find a strain that worked well for head pain. Ha! I needed an education from soup to nuts. I ended up purchasing a THC oil that is vaped.

Last night I ingested too much and was high. I don’t like that feeling.....yeah, I know....crazy, right? I was pain free but I was stoned. This morning I took a micro dose along with some CBD oil. Oh my gosh. I am headache free and I’m not high. It’s been 2.5 hours and I’m still headache free. First time in 4 years.

I’m afraid to move....lol....I don’t trust it. I don’t want to burst this painfree bubble.
What was the strain you picked up from the dispensary? As other have mentioned, a mix of higher CBD and lower THC may be helpful. I would suggest vaping buds rather than oils. Some good strains include Harlequin (13% CBD and 5% THC), Shark Shock (10.53% CBD/5.7%THC). These percentages are general and can vary from crop to crop a well as from plant to plant.

Either will give you a very gentle buzz, but not too much. If you opt to go with buds, I'd suggest 2 hits but not more than 3 hits. You can't directly determine the effect of CBD, which means it's hard to know if the does is enough or not. But you can feel the THC, which can let you know it's working. You'll also know whether the CBD is helping or not by the reduction of pain By gauging the dosage (number of hits), you can determine whether to increase the does by another hit, or reduce the number of hits. You'll find what works best for you without getting stoned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness