Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:20 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,767,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I'm sorry, I'm calling BS here.

Intimate is what happens between myself and my wife, or any of you and your lover (be it female or male)

A medical procedure or treatment is never intimate, and no doctor ever sees it as such
"Intimate care" is what you get in medical settings when the genitals (male or female) or breasts (female) are concerned. "Intimate relations" is what you have with your wife. Big difference. I have never suggested that I had intimate relations with medical staff but I have received intimate care from them. When you use the term intimate care in a medical setting they know what you are talking about.

Medical protocols concerning genitals and breasts are far different than they are for elbows. Chaperones are typically brought in for vaginal exams. They are never brought in when elbows are examined. Next week I have an abdominal ultrasound. They'll keep my genitals covered but they won't even think about my elbows. The medical world approaches genitals and breast differently than any other part of the body because that is a societal norm.

We are all free to decide what we are comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
I can definitely see Biker53's point of view.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:44 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Swollen at the Doctor's - Joke | eBaum's World

Old 02-26-2018, 08:44 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
"Intimate care" is what you get in medical settings when the genitals (male or female) or breasts (female) are concerned. "Intimate relations" is what you have with your wife.

Again, I call BS. It is a medical exam NOT "intimate care"

You obviously have some issues. But, yes, you are free to decide what you are comfortable with

Old 02-26-2018, 08:50 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Just curious, has any fellow male poster seen a female urologist? If Yes, did he feel embarrassed when she did the check up?
I stopped being embarrassed about clinical medical procedures when I was around 16.

And to answer the question, yes, I’ve been examined by a female urologist, as well as other female MD’s and DO’s. No big deal.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:56 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,767,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But what is to be done? I don't know what the future holds...but my guess is that as the lessening prestige and autonomy of the American physician continues it will mean that fewer men will pursue the profession. As it becomes less profitable, women will increasingly predominate in med schools and private practice. Just like support roles are overwhelmingly female because of relatively low pay or distaste for the "lowly" "intimate care" required of them...or whatever reasons men don't go into these fields.

If there are NO men, there aren't any men. So you can scream and holler...like women did 50 years ago...did it help? I don't know if the screaming helped but the rise of feminism did. It's unfortunate you have to drive further but I'd say you're lucky to find any men at all. And I am unconvinced that MOST women in these roles have been so completely unprofessional that you can't stomach them. It is your choice that you've said "no" to all women. I think your plight will only worsen, JMO.

BTW, I honestly don't understand your extreme embarrassment about the female chaperones - typically, for gynos they don't stand at the patient's feet from the same perspective as the doctor. They are in the room, standing to the side. They don't see any private areas but they are certainly able to witness any patient discomfort or verbalizations or unusual physician behavior.
Sorry if I haven't been clear. Most women in staff roles have been totally professional. It is the bad apples that made me start to say if I have the option of male staff I'll do that. That and as I said I am somewhat modest by nature.

I don't know how a woman's GYN exam occurs but a female chaperone for a female patient not seeing anything is different than a female chaperone for a male patient watching it all. Male exams do not have any draping or screening and anyone in the room sees it all. To me it is just plain creepy for someone to be brought into the room who provides none of the medical care and whose sole function is to watch your genital exam. I am open to female physicians for intimate care, but not if they use chaperones.

I do agree that the long term prognosis is that there will be even fewer men, though the economics are confusing. Yes the very bottom rung (scribes, medical assistants, CNA's) are poorly paid but RN's are very well paid. At the local hospital they make about $75,000 which puts them in the 90th percentile in this region. These RN's are far above the median and are amongst the best paid people around.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:56 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Yes, we are.

All I hope to get you to understand is that you do not appear willing to give what you are demanding from others.

These posts are dripping with judgment and imposition of YOUR sexual hangups:

Quote:
The other thing is there's a good chance she'd bring a low level woman (clerical worker or medical asst.) into the room as a chaperone to observe you being examined. That's just plain creepy.
Quote:
The difference is some people are modest and others are not.
Those who do not require a same-sex doc are not necessarily "less modest" than you.

Quote:
And most women these days only want to go to female GYN's. Wouldn't a "real" woman only want a male GYN doing that exam instead? That said, it is odd that "real" women aren't demanding male mammographers so as to avoid having women do those exams too.
Using your logic, I could insinuate that you actually have latent homosexual tendencies based on your unwavering distaste for female medical personnel.

Do you see my point?

I certainly understand and sympathize with the procedures to which you've been subjected. But you are mixing in some prejudices that you seriously need to rethink.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:57 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
I don't know how a woman's GYN exam occurs but a female chaperone for a female patient not seeing anything is different than a female chaperone for a male patient watching it all. Male exams do not have any draping or screening and anyone in the room sees it all. To me it is just plain creepy for someone to be brought into the room who provides none of the medical care and whose sole function is to watch your genital exam. I am open to female physicians for intimate care, but not if they use chaperones.
Then for Pete's sake decline the chaperone.

They aren't there to get a peek. They are there for the doc's protection.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:00 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
I think it's interesting that the posters here who are making a (imo highly unwarranted) sexual thing of this medical care seem to be overlooking the fact that there are plenty of women who aren't sexually interested in men, and plenty of men who are.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:24 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
I think BirdieBelle is WAY off base on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness