Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 08:51 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,754,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
my goodness, may I ask why you have had to have20 cystoscopies? That's a LOT. What were the results; as in are you ok now?

I just think Urologists are too quick to think of this procedure as quick and painless. It is neither. The one I had some years ago caused me unrelenting pain all night long. It was horrifying and I will never forget the pain of that procedure and that night.

Now I'm scheduled to have one next week and already I'm petrified to go through all that again. To make matters worse is before I wasn't in the least bit concerned as to the findings. It was more of ok let's just do this and fix the problem. But this time around I just feel they will find something that will be devastating news for me. Just a gut feeling, well yea that and knowing the symptoms I'm experiencing and how I feel physically. Not good man. Not good.

I am going to ask beforehand about something for pain. I know doctors hate that and hate when patients anticipate pain when they think there should be none! I can't be bothered to care though what the doc thinks. I can't get out of my mind what I experienced that night so many years ago. No, I Must have something ready to take for the pain that I KNOW is coming.
A high grade aggressive bladder cancer and regular follow-up monitoring is why I have had so many cystoscopies. All is well, but the monitoring will continue. None have been painful nor have I ever developed an infection or had bleeding afterwards. The trick I think is giving the lidocaine a few minutes to take effect, an experienced person doing the insertion, and for men not having an enlarged prostate that can get in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 11:45 AM

36,970 posts, read 40,949,173 times
Quote:
the doc said the nurse would apply Lidocaine (sp) to numb the area

I told him about the horror of my last experience but he just gave me one of those,"crap,not one of those patients" type looks.

Thanks so much.........I kinda feel they will find "something" wrong or else I wouldn't be having the issues I'm having. Hopefully it's a problem that can be resolved.
Explain it to the nurse, too. As Biker said, ask her to make sure he gives the lidocaine long enough to work. Do not be afraid to ask for a script for an antispasmodic to take if you get pain. If you do not need it, you can just tear it up and throw it away.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,092,569 times
Quote:
the doc said the nurse would apply Lidocaine (sp) to numb the area

I told him about the horror of my last experience but he just gave me one of those,"crap,not one of those patients" type looks.

Thanks so much.........I kinda feel they will find "something" wrong or else I wouldn't be having the issues I'm having. Hopefully it's a problem that can be resolved.
Pippy....message me.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:38 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,728,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Pippy....message me.
I did Jan. Thanks <3

Old 04-22-2020, 04:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,062 times
Default Relaxed

I had a male urologist and he was fired for having bad bedside manner. So they gave me names like Dr. Kind or whatever. So I chose the name w/o knowing the sex of person. So ends up being a woman. Nervous but when she started to talk everything was great. I could tell she was there to fix whatever problem I had. Older lady but super friendly. Didn't even think about what sex she was just got the appointment over with without the embarrassment. Didn't feel any different than having a male do the appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness