Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 12:17 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
But if there is problem like erectile dysfunction, urologist is supposedly the lead doctor to treat it. Has any poster ever tried to mention this to his female urologist?
Absolutely yes! This is what she is trained to treat. No, qualms what-so-ever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 12:29 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Well, assuming you're straight, you're mentioning it to your female partner, aren't you? So what's the difference between telling a male doctor or a female doctor that you cannot get it up?

Old 02-25-2018, 12:43 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Well, assuming you're straight, you're mentioning it to your female partner, aren't you? So what's the difference between telling a male doctor or a female doctor that you cannot get it up?
I'm straight. But, I have to assume gays can have ED also

Old 02-25-2018, 12:47 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
It's pretty sad when people can't crack jokes any more to lighten up uncomfortable situations.

In my Ob/gyn's office, as I was laying on my back, legs splayed out in stirrups, prepped for an internal test, I said to my doctor how much I hate this part of being a woman. He said "Hating it is normal. I'd be more concerned if you liked it" We both laughed.
Same here. I once asked my long-time male gynecologist why he didn't paper the ceiling of his examining room with "Playgirl" centerfolds, so that us ladies would at least have something nice to look at while we were being probed. He just laughed too.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:42 PM

764 posts, read 94,652 times
1. Yes.

2. No. She is a professional, doing her job.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:29 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
I totally understand the "physician is a professional" mindset that prompts many men and women to comfortable with both male and female physicians for intimate care. Ideally everyone would be in this group but that is not how our society has been socialized.

I also totally understand those who are only comfortable with one gender, whether that is men only wanting male physicians, men only wanting female, female only wanting male, or female only wanting female. This group does see a sexual component to healthcare for many varied reasons. Most realize it is not sexual for the physician but rather it is themselves as the patient who it bothers.

I am guessing here that most men who are comfortable with female physicians are also comfortable with female staff for intimate care. I do have that question for the women who say physician gender doesn't matter to them. Would you also be OK if your GYN or dermatologist brought in a male chaperone, if a male sonographer did your vaginal ultrasound, a male mammographer did your mammogram, a male CNA assisted you in the shower etc? I am not talking ER or OR scenarios. I am talking routine care. If you are not comfortable with men in these other capacities then you too are adding a sexual component to healthcare even if you are comfortable with male physicians. The reality is that these other scenarios are more theoretical than real. There are no male mammographers, female sonographers are almost automatically assigned to women for intimate matters, female CNA's sent in to assist with showering etc., and certainly no physician would ever use a male as a chaperone for a female intimate procedure, but would you be OK if men were used in these capacities? Just using the male chaperone and male mammographer examples, the female staff-only default tells us that healthcare assumes women see a sexual component to these things. There would not be a reason to exclude men from those roles otherwise.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:28 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I totally understand the "physician is a professional" mindset that prompts many men and women to comfortable with both male and female physicians for intimate care. Ideally everyone would be in this group but that is not how our society has been socialized.

I also totally understand those who are only comfortable with one gender, whether that is men only wanting male physicians, men only wanting female, female only wanting male, or female only wanting female. This group does see a sexual component to healthcare for many varied reasons. Most realize it is not sexual for the physician but rather it is themselves as the patient who it bothers.

I am guessing here that most men who are comfortable with female physicians are also comfortable with female staff for intimate care. I do have that question for the women who say physician gender doesn't matter to them. Would you also be OK if your GYN or dermatologist brought in a male chaperone, if a male sonographer did your vaginal ultrasound, a male mammographer did your mammogram, a male CNA assisted you in the shower etc? I am not talking ER or OR scenarios. I am talking routine care. If you are not comfortable with men in these other capacities then you too are adding a sexual component to healthcare even if you are comfortable with male physicians. The reality is that these other scenarios are more theoretical than real. There are no male mammographers, female sonographers are almost automatically assigned to women for intimate matters, female CNA's sent in to assist with showering etc., and certainly no physician would ever use a male as a chaperone for a female intimate procedure, but would you be OK if men were used in these capacities? Just using the male chaperone and male mammographer examples, the female staff-only default tells us that healthcare assumes women see a sexual component to these things. There would not be a reason to exclude men from those roles otherwise.
I have had groups if male (and female) med students observe gyn matters (I had a 27cm cyst); male nurses who placed catheters and enemas as well as aides who bathed me in the bed and in the shower and assisted me on and off the commode.

There comes a point when you just want procedures over and you long to be clean. Mammogram? That would be waaaay easier that an ob/gyn exam by a male doc, but as a Soldier, then as a Army wife you took who the Army gave you and who could get you in before you were 70.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:17 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I am guessing here...
... is the biggest problem. You are making all kinds of assumptions about the choices of others based on YOUR hangups.

The fact that most of the medical assistant positions are held by women isn't because "healthcare assumes women see a sexual component" to this??? What??

There are plenty of statistics, from the National Institute of Health to the federal Bureau of Labor, that can show you how the gender breakdown in these jobs has changed - or not - over the years.

This is a question you need to start asking your doctors so that you understand the hiring process as it actually is and not as you imagine it to be.

In the meantime, continue to request the types of staff you are more comfortable with, but stop making incorrect assumptions about others based on THEIR preferences.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:46 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
My Dad's urologist is a woman. She is excellent. He doesn't feel uncomfortable talking with her about all of his issues.

But I strongly encourage all women to go to a female OB/GYN. I have seen/heard some really bad things.... and would never go to a male GYN... especially if they were trained in the last 25 years. You really have to ask yourself why a man would go into that speciality.

Urologists often treat both men and women.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:05 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Of course, with those drugs I probably wouldn't have cared if she was a 7 foot tall green lizard with three eyes.
I hate to reply to a thread with a simple LOL but this really made me...:

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness