Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 12:42 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

I have been to a few NA and AA meetings for my past heroin/ opioid addiction, and imo, just getting out and being around others with the same problem is good in itself, isolation is one of the worst things about addiction, whether its alcohol or drugs, we like to be alone and abuse. Going to meetings is the opposite of isolation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 05:27 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Thank you everyone for the responses; I'll be going to my first meeting tomorrow and see where I can go from there.
Come back and tell us about your meeting.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:02 PM

492 posts, read 630,654 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for the responses; I'll be going to my first meeting tomorrow and see where I can go from there.
How did that meeting go? We are pulling for you.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:01 PM

343 posts, read 306,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
How did that meeting go? We are pulling for you.
Thank you, but I can't lie... I've been drunk all weekend... I didn't go 😔. Getting sober is more difficult than it seems.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:25 AM

492 posts, read 630,654 times
Quote:
Thank you, but I can't lie... I've been drunk all weekend... I didn't go 😔. Getting sober is more difficult than it seems.
You have a disease. You need to go get help right away. Alcohol is destroying your liver. I lost a brother in law to cigarettes and alcohol. He absolutely let alcohol destroy his life. He died very young. He had a beautiful wife and two kids. Lost their love and respect. You need to get a grip on this now or it will destroy you. It is a terrible way to live and a horrible way to die. Cirrhosis of the liver and lung cancer. If you don't mind I will say a prayer for you.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:26 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
You have a disease. You need to go get help right away. Alcohol is destroying your liver. I lost a brother in law to cigarettes and alcohol. He absolutely let alcohol destroy his life. He died very young. He had a beautiful wife and two kids. Lost their love and respect. You need to get a grip on this now or it will destroy you. It is a terrible way to live and a horrible way to die. Cirrhosis of the liver and lung cancer. If you don't mind I will say a prayer for you.
My grandkids lost their dad to lung cancer, he smoked very young and probably took his first alcohol very young too.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:19 PM

689 posts, read 972,800 times
The OP will bottom out when he's is ready and no amount of lecturing, scare-mongering or directing will help.

Some people, literally, get close to death before they finally call it quits, others don't sober up even then. I, personally and painfully, have seen what the end stage looks like - not something you'd wish on your worst enemy.

One of my family members went to an out-patient rehab program and insurance paid for this. The program offered several meeting choices in the day / evening. Attendance was mandatory once you signed on the dotted line. With the right facilitator, these groups are phenomenal IMO. It's a life school in there and truly transformative.

BUT, you gotta be ready to do the work.

Best to you OP. There's lots of help out there and a whole new world when you're ready.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:15 PM

9,431 posts, read 5,194,093 times
AA is a program of suggestion. I decided in July 2017 that I drank too much. I was/have been depressed (and now on medication) over many things, but originally thought I simply had seasonal affective disorder. When my blue mood strung out all year long, and I came to realize that I was really drinking to medicate myself, I walked in to an AA meeting. (I come from an alcoholic family.) I have been sober since August 1, 2017, not long, I know, but long enough for me to start getting a handle on the many frustrations and resentments that have followed me, through my 'life script,' around my whole life. I am fortunate enough to be able to see a counselor in addition to going to AA meetings. I have a sponsor. I recently completed the 4th step. This even though I've been to numerous counselors over the years with things I have now identified through AA that directly relate to my family of origin, my 'survival' mentality (control) and my need for control. It is not an easy road, but if you are willing to take the first step, it gets easier from there. Also, don't worry about "God." Most of the people I know in this program have their own concept of God, or admit not to believing in God at all, which I have no problem with, and many have been sober for decades.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:27 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
AA is a program of suggestion. I decided in July 2017 that I drank too much. I was/have been depressed (and now on medication) over many things, but originally thought I simply had seasonal affective disorder. When my blue mood strung out all year long, and I came to realize that I was really drinking to medicate myself, I walked in to an AA meeting. (I come from an alcoholic family.) I have been sober since August 1, 2017, not long, I know, but long enough for me to start getting a handle on the many frustrations and resentments that have followed me, through my 'life script,' around my whole life. I am fortunate enough to be able to see a counselor in addition to going to AA meetings. I have a sponsor. I recently completed the 4th step. This even though I've been to numerous counselors over the years with things I have now identified through AA that directly relate to my family of origin, my 'survival' mentality (control) and my need for control. It is not an easy road, but if you are willing to take the first step, it gets easier from there. Also, don't worry about "God." Most of the people I know in this program have their own concept of God, or admit not to believing in God at all, which I have no problem with, and many have been sober for decades.
Good on you. When this program was started eons ago, god was in the picture big time...it still is for a lot of our population/world and a lot NOT. I got involved in a Science of Mind philosophy years ago and God was used a lot and I would just substitute the word for what fit for me. Sun Moon Mother Nature.... Keep on track.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:56 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,060,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
I walked in atheist.
Someone pointed out chapter 4. We Agnostics.
Not THE Agnostics.

I got halfway through step 9 and the God bomb went off. I was a new "creature".

Simply the most mind blowing experience on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness