Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 07:09 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I'm so sorry about your cancer -- but so glad you werent one of those who doesnt believe in colonoscopies.

Not all colon cancers are slow-growing. When my father's colon cancer was found, he'd had no symptoms at all. The doctor told him it was a fast-growing kind -- I think he called it a large-cell tumor -- and my father lived only 3 more months.

I'll be sending good vibes and praying that you'll be drinking that Suprep in 3 more years.
Thank you.

Yes there are fast growing kinds. Most of them aren't.

I'm sorry about your Dad
My condolences to you. <3

Old 02-24-2018, 07:26 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Those tests indicate that a person does or doesn't have colon cancer. Most physicians recommend prevention. That's what a colonoscopy does.

I'm 74; I just had one.

I've had two now. The prep is the worst part. I did not have any sedation either time.
Only in the sense that pre-cancerous polyps can be removed during the test. Just having a colonoscopy does not prevent anything, in a healthy person. It is a screening test, like the other two.

Diet and lifestyle changes may help you to PREVENT cancer.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:43 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Only in the sense that pre-cancerous polyps can be removed during the test. Just having a colonoscopy does not prevent anything, in a healthy person. It is a screening test, like the other two.

Having a colonoscopy DOES prevent cancer. Not every polyp is going to become cancerous, but every colon cancer starts out as a polyp.

My father thought he was healthy. He ate right, exercised daily, didnt drink and didnt smoke. He was the Night Supervisor at the VA Hospital and was very knowledgeable about health issues. He had a complete physical checkup every year but he didnt have colonscopies. Obviously he had a polyp that turned malignant -- had he had a colonscopy, that polyp would have been found and removed. And he wouldnt have died an agonizing death.

Some people are just prone to polyps. The tendency to develop some kinds of colon polyps is inherited. My mother had pilar cysts and I get them too. So it makes sense, to me anyway, to have colonscopies to remove any new colon polyps.

Let me say it again: every single colon cancer starts out as a polyp. Those who scoff at colonoscopies are playing Cancer Roulette.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:35 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post

Colonoscopies are a primary detection & prevention tool. You mistakenly emphasized the wrong word in your last sentence, it should read: Diet and lifestyle changes MAY help you to prevent cancer.

My gastro MD always advises against too much meat & for more fiber.

Just this week a well known natural foods vegan Youtuber who has recently been chronicling her battle with cancer died after several months of explaining how her diet & lifestyle changes had defeated her cancer. Her channel partner still refuses to believe that veganism couldn't defeat it, she claims the medicine taken at the end, when she was dying, is the culprit.

We are entitled to our own opinions but not our own facts.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:50 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Colonoscopies are a primary detection & prevention tool. You mistakenly emphasized the wrong word in your last sentence, it should read: Diet and lifestyle changes MAY help you to prevent cancer.

My gastro MD always advises against too much meat & for more fiber.

Just this week a well known natural foods vegan Youtuber who has recently been chronicling her battle with cancer died after several months of explaining how her diet & lifestyle changes had defeated her cancer. Her channel partner still refuses to believe that veganism couldn't defeat it, she claims the medicine taken at the end, when she was dying, is the culprit.

We are entitled to our own opinions but not our own facts.
When I went at 50 to get my first colonoscopy I was at optimal health. My diet then, as it is now, consists of whole fresh foods. No junk food, no soda, no artificially flavored foods. I also did not eat a lot of meat. I was at the perfect weight, exercised all the time, just did a triathlon. I had 3 polyps that the doctor got rid of. Who knows if they would have been cancerous. I also had to do another colonoscopy in 3 years, instead of 10 because of those polyps.
Luckily after the second colonoscopy I had zero polyps and am now on the ten year followup.

People mistake their healthy habits for being immune to health problems. That is a dangerous mind set.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:15 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I'm so sorry about your cancer -- but so glad you werent one of those who doesnt believe in colonoscopies.

Not all colon cancers are slow-growing. When my father's colon cancer was found, he'd had no symptoms at all. The doctor told him it was a fast-growing kind -- I think he called it a large-cell tumor -- and my father lived only 3 more months.

I'll be sending good vibes and praying that you'll be drinking that Suprep in 3 more years.
How was his cancer found if he had no symptoms and no colonoscopies?

And what kind of treatment did he undergo in those last 3 months?

There isn't anything more hazardous to your health than having blind faith in today's medical industry.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:21 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Yikes...playing with fire. I hope nobody takes your comment as advice. 1 every 5 years is sufficient unless you have polyps or a history of diverticulitis
I'm sure I'm not the only one in the U.S. who does NOT get them.....I've posted a lot in Alt Med which is what I believe keeps me from cancer(s). Colon included. I'm one around here who truly trusts the holistic world of healing and prevention.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:27 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
How was his cancer found if he had no symptoms and no colonoscopies?
And what kind of treatment did he undergo in those last 3 months?
There isn't anything more hazardous to your health than having blind faith in today's medical industry.

Are you looking for something to support your dangerous belief that colonoscopies arent beneficial and even necessary?

As I posted previously in this thread, one day my father saw blood in his stool. Even then, he wasnt feeling bad at all. He didnt start feeling pain for another couple of weeks.

I can guarantee you that he received the best medical care possible at M D Anderson Cancer Center. All the doctors knew him because of his position with the VA Hospital.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:31 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Oh that blood in the stool can scare the "s**t" out of people and push them to doctors. I've had blood years ago and it was hemmroids and I worked on that issue and have NOT had blood for years. I don't let hemms hit me anymore.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:53 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh that blood in the stool can scare the "s**t" out of people and push them to doctors. I've had blood years ago and it was hemmroids and I worked on that issue and have NOT had blood for years. I don't let hemms hit me anymore.
Good for you. But anyone with blood in their stool should see a doctor immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness