Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 11:01 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Then you may have been overmedicated. It is well known (certainly by physicians) that too much synthroid (or whatever thyroid med you were taking) can lead to osteoporosis, especially if taken for many years. I'm surprised they didn't tell you to have your first density test in your 30's or 40's to get some kind of baseline - certainly well before menopause when it is more difficult to reverse. Sorry you're having such issues.
There is info on levo and bone loss but I didn't research if that is true with desiccated and bone loss. With desiccated one gets calciniton(sp) in the mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 12:21 PM

250 posts, read 182,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What are you doing for the HypoT? Since 5? How does one know at 5. I know young people can be hypoT but at 5. If you take synthetic thyroid support, here are some comments on synthroid and bone loss:

https://www.healthboards.com/boards/...bone-loss.html

More info on bone loss and thyroid:

Common Thyroid Drug Increases Risk of Bone Fractures in Women | Bio Hormone Health
At my physical before kindergarten my pediatrician noticed that I was developing a goiter. I was sent to an endocrinologist who also was a holistic naturalpath, which was quite unusual in the 70's. I was on 3 grains of Armour for many years. Then switched to Synthroid when insurance no longer covered it.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:28 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
At my physical before kindergarten my pediatrician noticed that I was developing a goiter. I was sent to an endocrinologist who also was a holistic naturalpath, which was quite unusual in the 70's. I was on 3 grains of Armour for many years. Then switched to Synthroid when insurance no longer covered it.
What dose of Synthroid then? 3 grains supposedly is the equivalent of 300 mcg. of Sythroid which is very high...how often is your TSH, FT3, and FT4 checked?

Old 02-24-2018, 12:32 PM

Just to avoid some confusion, I recently moved from California to Virginia and the doctors here are so awesome. I've complained for years to docs about bone pain and muscle weakness. They just chalked it up to fibromyalgia and prescribed antidepressants and opioids. I refused to take the latter. No one ever mentioned a dexa scan. Or to increase certain vitamins. Nothing.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What dose of Synthroid then? 3 grains supposedly is the equivalent of 300 mcg. of Sythroid which is very high...how often is your TSH, FT3, and FT4 checked?
I'm now at 100mcg of synthroid. I get checked once a year.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
How were you feeling all those years. I take 2 grains now for about 12 yrs or so, it probably took about 3 yrs to get up there from where I started, I think at 1 grain, maybe 1/2 grain...that was back in 2002.

I pay out of pocket, it's worth it for me. Plus I have no drug insurance and Medicare pays so so little if any for any meds.

My friend was just switched from her long use of Armour type med to levo and I see how much depression, anxiety, almost to tears she is going thru.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Just to avoid some confusion, I recently moved from California to Virginia and the doctors here are so awesome. I've complained for years to docs about bone pain and muscle weakness. They just chalked it up to fibromyalgia and prescribed antidepressants and opioids. I refused to take the latter. No one ever mentioned a dexa scan. Or to increase certain vitamins. Nothing.
Oh an endo years ago told me my thyroid was fine, but it's Fibro. He touched around my neck and that was his dx...I went thru 10 yrs of depression. Bones seem to be OK, except for major arthritis.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I'm now at 100mcg of synthroid. I get checked once a year.
Seems to be low dose. From 3 grains of Armour. I actually take Naturthroid now instead of Armour which became too pricey.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh an endo years ago told me my thyroid was fine, but it's Fibro. He touched around my neck and that was his dx...I went thru 10 yrs of depression. Bones seem to be OK, except for major arthritis.
How much you want to bet that if we were men, our "treatment" would have been different?

Old 02-24-2018, 04:05 PM

My MD for the last 10 yrs probably have been women, Integrative MD's...I prefer this route for my healing. Allopathic MD's leave me cold. For the 10 yrs of struggle trying to get thyroid support, all the docs I saw and that was about 5, one was a woman but she was also very allopathic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness