Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 04:14 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
Just had my first DEXA scan as I'm menopausal. The results came back at T= -2.9 The doctor said that hip and spine fractures with these numbers carries a high risk of mortality, so I'm quite freaked out. He put me on an estrogen agonist and I have to increase my calcium/ vitamin D levels.
Studies show that calcium pills don't do much, I read. Vitamin D does. And working out with weights and walking do.

Is he going to start you on the osteoporosis medication?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 10:38 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Studies show that calcium pills don't do much, I read. Vitamin D does. And working out with weights and walking do.

Is he going to start you on the osteoporosis medication?
That "medication" does NOT strengthen bones or improve their health. It interferes with the natural intelligence of bones, making them thicker but less organized and weaker.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:38 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm one of those who believe calcium is pushed TOO MUCH and Magnesium NOT ENOUGH. Do research on magnesium and it's benefits and you'll find heart health. I take very little if any calcium. D3 and K2 and magnesium are my main go to's.
I agree also.

I recently heard a theory on this that makes so much sense. That too much calcium causes osteoporosis. Basically your body can't have too much calcium in its blood. Or you will die. So it pulls the excess out of your blood and stores it in your bones. Temporarily. Over time it takes it out of your bones and lets it get extracted out of your body.

This process is not supposed to be going on all the time. Just everyonce and a while. The cells that do this are called osteoblasts and some die during the process and are not replaced.

So if you do this you entire life -- too much calcium-- by the time you get to 50 or so.. you don't have any or many oestoblasts left to help you put calcium in your bones. This could be another reason why calcium then raises heart attack risk.

Of course we need calcium but too much of it is an extreme problem and has been proven do to nothing with regard to bone health so why are people still overdosing on calcium?

Old 03-04-2018, 05:45 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I agree also.

I recently heard a theory on this that makes so much sense. That too much calcium causes osteoporosis. Basically your body can't have too much calcium in its blood. Or you will die. So it pulls the excess out of your blood and stores it in your bones. Temporarily. Over time it takes it out of your bones and lets it get extracted out of your body.

This process is not supposed to be going on all the time. Just everyonce and a while. The cells that do this are called osteoblasts and some die during the process and are not replaced.

So if you do this you entire life -- too much calcium-- by the time you get to 50 or so.. you don't have any or many oestoblasts left to help you put calcium in your bones. This could be another reason why calcium then raises heart attack risk.

Of course we need calcium but too much of it is an extreme problem and has been proven do to nothing with regard to bone health so why are people still overdosing on calcium?
Yeah, none of what you just wrote is true and that "theory" does not exist...it only "makes sense" if you don't understand how bone turnover actually works

Bone turnover doesn't happen just once in awhile....there is CONSTANT turnover managed by osteoblasts and osteoclasts and the process isn't short circuited by having "too much calcium"

What ever calcium isn't needed for bone remodeling is excreted....its that simple.

The process of how bone turnover occurs is a well understood physiologic process....its not some big mystery

This is Orthopaedics 101 it isn't rocket science

"The skeleton is a metabolically active organ that undergoes continuous remodeling throughout life. Bone remodeling involves the removal of mineralized bone by osteoclasts followed by the formation of bone matrix through the osteoblasts that subsequently become mineralized. The remodeling cycle consists of three consecutive phases: resorption, during which osteoclasts digest old bone; reversal, when mononuclear cells appear on the bone surface; and formation, when osteoblasts lay down new bone until the resorbed bone is completely replaced."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17308163

Old 03-04-2018, 07:45 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dells View Post
Don't forget the skin. The skin is the third kidney.

Are you filtering?
If my urine looked like that I'd be worried.

Unless, of course, this was a sample that had sat out at room temperature for a day or two. Then those "flakes" would likely be sodium urate or other crystals precipitating out of solution as bacteria broke down the components of the urine. And it would stink.

That precipitate in tbe urine would NOT be lymphatic fluid.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:57 AM

250 posts, read 182,097 times
I do take vitamin D3 and Magnesium as well, btw

Old 03-31-2018, 03:21 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
The first caller today on Dr. Darrow was about his wife's osteoporosis. Dr. told him he works with his current patients but does not take on patients specifically for hormone therapy which Dr. says is the big big cause of osteoporosis. I have posted quite a bit in Alt Med on DHEA which is what I've been taking for years for hormone replacement. Dr. talks about bioidentical hormone therapy, I've never gone that route as what I do works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness