Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:02 AM

250 posts, read 182,402 times

Advertisements

Just had my first DEXA scan as I'm menopausal. The results came back at T= -2.9 The doctor said that hip and spine fractures with these numbers carries a high risk of mortality, so I'm quite freaked out. He put me on an estrogen agonist and I have to increase my calcium/ vitamin D levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 10:33 AM

689 posts, read 974,547 times
Piperdiva, I know it's a rather scary diagnosis but now that you have this information you'll be able to prevent future injury and other more serious issues.

May I suggest that, as part of your overall wellness path, you consider a visit to a naturopath or a holistic health provider? They can advise you on additional bone healthy supplements, nutritional/dietary support and even safe and effective ways to move and exercise that can enhance strength and prevent additional bone loss.

A holistic approach to conditions like this can be very, very helpful. Your insurance may cover these visits, especially if you have the type of MD who would consider providing a referral for you.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:45 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times
We don't know what you are eating but diet is one of the first things that come to mind. Make sure you're not drinking soda or a lot of coffee as they deplete calcium. The article talks about salt, vitamin D, soda, coffee.

https://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/f...diet-dangers#1

Many soft drinks and certain other carbonated soft drinks contain phosphoric acid, which can increase calcium excretion in your urine.

Caffeine leaches calcium from bones, sapping their strength.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:30 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,777,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Piperdiva, I know it's a rather scary diagnosis but now that you have this information you'll be able to prevent future injury and other more serious issues.

May I suggest that, as part of your overall wellness path, you consider a visit to a naturopath or a holistic health provider? They can advise you on additional bone healthy supplements, nutritional/dietary support and even safe and effective ways to move and exercise that can enhance strength and prevent additional bone loss.

A holistic approach to conditions like this can be very, very helpful. Your insurance may cover these visits, especially if you have the type of MD who would consider providing a referral for you.
Boy do I agree, and SO many conventional MD's push this calcium and everything I've read is that the calcium goes to the blood stream and not the bones. Magnesium is something they don't talk about as they are NOT trained in the minerals we truly need. I've taken far more magnesium vs calcium in my life and I'm 79 and no osteoporosis. Vit D3 and K2 are vital too. Weight bearing type exercises too.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3775240/

There are some other posts around the health area on the vital need of magnesium in the body. I've been taking it for years and get labs done each year with my regular labs and I'm NEVER overdosing. Mag like Vit C is excreted so we have to keep on top of it.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-23-2018 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-23-2018, 11:35 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,054,172 times
It's not just what you eat or what pills you take...it's also exercise. You need weight-bearing and muscle-strengthening exercises.

https://www.nof.org/patients/fractur...-strong-bones/

Old 02-23-2018, 12:05 PM

250 posts, read 182,402 times
Thanks everyone. I recently bought an elliptical that kicks my butt. And I can turn up the strength on it to the point that I have to push really hard to get it to move. I live in a two story house, and I'm always running up and down stairs for something. I also do compound archery; been doing that for years. I have the flu now, but I'm going to add free weights and change my diet once I'm better.

That said, is it possible to reverse my bone loss and regrow new bone?

Last edited by piperdiva; 02-23-2018 at 01:15 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 04:45 PM

749 posts, read 853,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
Thanks everyone. I recently bought an elliptical that kicks my butt. And I can turn up the strength on it to the point that I have to push really hard to get it to move. I live in a two story house, and I'm always running up and down stairs for something. I also do compound archery; been doing that for years. I have the flu now, but I'm going to add free weights and change my diet once I'm better.

Yes, don't forget to get some sunshine and be careful with the exercise - don't overdo. I tend to trust Mayo Clinic info, they always sound reasonable anyway and seem to be up-to-date - https://www.mayoclinic.org/osteoporosis/art-20304601

Old 02-23-2018, 07:13 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
Quote:

The elliptical is good for cardio, not so much for building bone strength. What you really need to do is lift weights so its good you plan to add some free weights in. You can also do some body weight moves. Another thing you should really focus on is core strength and balance. A strong core and good balance will keep you on your feet as opposed to falling and breaking your bones.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:54 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,777,137 times
TheraBand work is also good for upper body strengthening. I was big with them for years... I still use one now and then, need to do it more.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:48 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,585,874 times
Quote:

The physical therapist told me to jog in place on a firm carpeted floor. The "jolt" is what encourages bone strengthening, along with diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness