Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2018, 01:22 AM

274 posts, read 294,370 times

Advertisements

I can't diagnose you as I am not a medical professional. Therefore, do not take anything I type as true medical advice that only a trained, licensed doctor can provide. I can only offer a few tips, hopefully as you possibly wait for your doctor's appointment:

A lot of these problems can lie within the diet. You would probably benefit by keeping your own journal. Write down everything you eat and drink and at what times or at least what meal - breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? Snack? Do you notice the diarrhea is worse or better after certain foods? You might benefit from eliminating a major offender from your diet for only 1-2 weeks like dairy products and see if you notice a difference. There are of course other major offending allergens like eggs, peanuts, soy, gluten, etc.

If you are having diarrhea issues, you would probably benefit by drinking plenty of water, fruit/herb infused water, or herbal teas. Keep your liquid up as you probably lose quite a bit in the day. It would probably be best to toss out refined sugars and foods that contain a ton of them. If you drink soda then definitely toss is out, even diet soda's are worse for you. It might be best to skip the coffee and caffeinated teas if you are having diarrhea problems as well. Skip sports drinks as they usually have as much sugar as a soda. If you must do a sports drink, pour a little bit into a glass and water it down, but a healthier alternative is a glass of water, a pinch of salt, a few squeezes of a lemon, and some honey if you need the sweet. Skip fruit juices as they often contain a lot of sugar (even if there isn't any "added" sugar, keep in mind it takes about 4-6 apples to make 1 glass of apple juice. Not many people are going to sit down and eat that many apples in one sitting, it is the fiber in the apples that tells us that 1, maybe 2 apples is enough).

Look how much sugar is in foods that you are eating, or what foods are high glycemic index. A lot of hidden sources for sugar (doesn't matter half the time if these are organic or not) are flavored (instant) oatmeals, breakfast cereals, flavored yogurts (even some plain ones may have a lot), breads (includes bagels, croissants, pastries, waffles, pancakes), ketchup, pre-flavored cans of beans, canned soups, ketchup, peanut butter, energy bars, etc. Read the ingredients and recognize the alternative names for sugar because there's literally about 50 names or more for it. Also look at your labels of how much sugar in a serving size.

It may help to avoid artificial sweeteners like sucralose/Splenda, aspartame/acesulfame salt/APM/Aspartyl-phenylalanine-1-methyl ester/ Equal Classic/ NatraTaste Blue/NutraSweet, neotame, acesulfame potassium/ACK/Ace K/Equal/Sweet One, saccharin (a lot of OTC medications contain this one), and tagatose. These are the more common ones and other countries outside the US may have their own names for them. Many people have issues with these artificial sweeteners and don't realize it, but the body prepares itself to receive sugar, which it never gets.

Think about switching to organic, at least on the produce that is among the dirty dozen (just put in dirty dozen 2017 or 2018 to find this list into a search engine online). Stick to the clean fifteen for inorganic. Stick to eating whole foods with ingredients you can understand. If you can't understand the ingredients, don't eat it. If it has like a list of ingredients that is super long, also avoid it.

Avoiding eating out might be a good option at this point in time especially if you have been. Why I say this is sometimes we don't always know what's in the food or where it has come from. If you're trying to help a doctor get down to this issue, it may help to avoid eating out. You will be healthier eating at home, making your own meals anyway. Likewise, avoid meals or making meals that involve too much grease (like heavy on the cooking oils or things that are made by deep-frying). Avoid cooking oils and oils in certain foods that are simply not healthy as they turn into unhealthy trans fats often when heated (these are usually hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated vegetable oils), some have too many omega-6's while others like cottonseed oil can be heavy with pesticides since cotton is treated with regulations as a textile, not a crop. It is probably best to avoid cottonseed oil, canola oil, safflower oil, soy oil, and olive oil (if you aren't sure where to buy real, pure olive oil). I tend to use avocado oil and sometimes coconut oil for cooking, they are more expensive, but I feel they are more worth it.

Bone broth is excellent for gut issues, but it is often super expensive unless you make it yourself, but you need the bones to do it and preferably a crock pot. If you make your own, make sure you always use organic bones. Some other foods that some find soothing are bananas, carrots, potatoes, yogurt that contains live cultures, and applesauce (probably best as long as it's organic, unsweetened).

I speak for me and some other people out there (probably not everyone), when I say that I feel better when I do not eat breads. I do not make a loaf of bread a grocery staple, in fact it's rarely even in my home or other goods that contain it like bagels, baked crackers, baked goods, etc. I simply feel better when I do not eat it at all and stick to substituting for the bread with something else. It takes creativity sometimes and a good idea, but I believe it is totally doable. Challenging sometimes, but doable.

Above all, I suppose get a good night's rest since that's when the body does a lot of its healing. Maybe even a nap if you are able after having diarrhea as it can drain you, but do remember to down some fluids, too. Also fit in some exercise when you can, avoiding sitting too long (some even advise getting up at least once every 20 minutes to move around unless you are sleeping).

I hope some of these tips can be of help to you and give you some starting points while you await that scheduled doctor's appointment (hopefully). I do hope that you will feel better soon and find a solution that works for you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 05:13 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
I had problems with diarrhea for years and then gave up Pepsi. I was a Pepsi addict; I loved my Pepsi. I drank it morning, noon and night - I always had a glass or a bottle along side of me. I gave it up and switched to tea; now I'm a tea addict! But I no longer have problems with diarrhea!

PS Now I just have problems with kidney stones and as long as I take my potassium citrate I avoid those problems!

Old 03-02-2018, 07:10 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Is there a doctor on the forum.....
?????

Not a doctor, if that's what you're asking.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:55 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,805 times
1 week? It could be nothing. Wait another week, forget about it and only if it is significant over the next 2 months go seek a Doc.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:12 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Coffee can cause diarrhea? Sorry if I'm overstepping here, but this is really interesting to me.
It's a known diuretic. But I always took that to mean it can pull water from your system/make you pee more.

Children are put on the BRAT diet. Banana Rice Applesauce Toast for a day or so. Then introduce one thing at a time.

On the other hand, even if things seem odd, it may be normal for you. The fact that your other stools are "normal" is a great sign that you're not becoming dehydrated, which is a fatal side effect of the runs.

How are your nerves? I used to talk to someone who taught me how literal the phrase "scared the crap out of me" really can be.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:59 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Any sudden change in bowel habits should be discussed with a doctor.

Don't assume anything, and don't take advice from strangers on the Internet. Your life may depend on it.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:31 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
I think you could possibly be lactose intolerant -- especially if you have dairy products daily for lunch, and the runs don't last longer and and there are no other symptoms of illness. What's on your plate at noon?

Old 03-02-2018, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,228 times
Default Once-a-Day Diarrhea

I also had this problem for years. My solution was stop taking Lipitol. So if you are taking a Statin, that could be the cause.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
It's a known diuretic. But I always took that to mean it can pull water from your system/make you pee more.

Children are put on the BRAT diet. Banana Rice Applesauce Toast for a day or so. Then introduce one thing at a time.

On the other hand, even if things seem odd, it may be normal for you. The fact that your other stools are "normal" is a great sign that you're not becoming dehydrated, which is a fatal side effect of the runs.

How are your nerves? I used to talk to someone who taught me how literal the phrase "scared the crap out of me" really can be.
If I tried that diet, I'd be camping out in the bathroom. Wheat and apples absolutely do me in.

Here's a discussion of both the laxative and the diuretic effects of coffee - https://www.healthline.com/health/is...e-a-laxative#3

Old 03-03-2018, 02:28 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I think you could possibly be lactose intolerant -- especially if you have dairy products daily for lunch, and the runs don't last longer and and there are no other symptoms of illness. What's on your plate at noon?
That's exactly the first thing that I thought of. OP, do you drink milk or have milk in your coffee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness