Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 09:25 AM

454 posts, read 449,452 times

Advertisements

I almost always wear contact lenses even though you should not be wearing them all day/night etc. I was told a long time ago you should take them off at night or whenever you get back home but i rarely do this. I never liked wearing glasses since its just felt uncomfortable etc.

I sometimes wear glasses now still because if my eyes hurt, then i take off the contact lenses etc.

The thing is my glasses, i bought these almost close to 5 years ago. I still have worn the same glasses but again i rarely well them that much. The thing is my vision is very bad... its about -10.00 on one eye and the other is -10.50 so basically i cannot see anything without contacts/glasses. But the last few times when i bought new contact lenses, the place rarely gave me a higher prescription because it was already high. They said -10.00 and -11.00 is basically the same. The thing is my glasses, im pretty sure my prescription is around the same and its -10.00 on one eye and -10.50 on the other eye or close to it.

Should i buy a new pair of glasses since its been almost 5 years since i got these glasses? I also had an eye test done but it was not there but in another country and i only needed to purchase contact lenses. This was not that long ago. I basically had them order the same contacts i got in the US.

But now that im in the US, i assume i should go and get new glasses? And of course they would give me an eye test since i dont think i had one in the US for 5 years right? I also do not have insurance so everything i pay out of my pocket but thats no big deal because i always done this. The thing is could your glasses after 5 years have issues? Obviously if your vision gets really worst, then your old glasses can't see very well. But my eyes were already bad already so even if it gets worst as it always has, well it isn't that bad. I could still see from the glasses but i would say its not as clear as the contact lenses. But thats only if i look at letters which i rarely do. Its always dusty my glasses and back then i didn't have those issues that much. But if i have the same vision, i assume they probably would still advise me to get new ones? The thing is i want to keep the frame, i like the frame. Im talking about new lens etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 10:25 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
If you want your vision to be the best possible, buy new glasses.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:24 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
I almost always wear contact lenses even though you should not be wearing them all day/night etc. I was told a long time ago you should take them off at night or whenever you get back home but i rarely do this. I never liked wearing glasses since its just felt uncomfortable etc.

I sometimes wear glasses now still because if my eyes hurt, then i take off the contact lenses etc.

The thing is my glasses, i bought these almost close to 5 years ago. I still have worn the same glasses but again i rarely well them that much. The thing is my vision is very bad... its about -10.00 on one eye and the other is -10.50 so basically i cannot see anything without contacts/glasses. But the last few times when i bought new contact lenses, the place rarely gave me a higher prescription because it was already high. They said -10.00 and -11.00 is basically the same. The thing is my glasses, im pretty sure my prescription is around the same and its -10.00 on one eye and -10.50 on the other eye or close to it.

Should i buy a new pair of glasses since its been almost 5 years since i got these glasses? I also had an eye test done but it was not there but in another country and i only needed to purchase contact lenses. This was not that long ago. I basically had them order the same contacts i got in the US.

But now that im in the US, i assume i should go and get new glasses? And of course they would give me an eye test since i dont think i had one in the US for 5 years right? I also do not have insurance so everything i pay out of my pocket but thats no big deal because i always done this. The thing is could your glasses after 5 years have issues? Obviously if your vision gets really worst, then your old glasses can't see very well. But my eyes were already bad already so even if it gets worst as it always has, well it isn't that bad. I could still see from the glasses but i would say its not as clear as the contact lenses. But thats only if i look at letters which i rarely do. Its always dusty my glasses and back then i didn't have those issues that much. But if i have the same vision, i assume they probably would still advise me to get new ones? The thing is i want to keep the frame, i like the frame. Im talking about new lens etc.
Your vision can change in 5 years. Have you had anyone look at your contact prescription in that time and has it changed? If you're wearing the glasses around the house for half an hour before you go to bed, I doubt it's that big a deal, but if you're watching TV or wearing them for any length of time, then it's probably better to make sure they're up to date.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:28 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:

I don't use contact lens but I would think wearing them all the time is not a good thing. A friend has been wearing them for many years and she tells me she is now dealing with macular degeneration. COnnection, I don't know...but I believe our eyes need to breath and circulation is important.

The last time I got new prescriptions for distance and reading, I kept my same frames as I like them and didn't want to spend the extra money...such a mark up in those glasses/frames.

I take 3-4 eye supplements and have NOT gone to eye doctors in over 7 yrs, my last prescription still works fine for me.

And I'm a firm believer in wearing sunglasses in sun and cloudy weather. Saves the eyes from cataracts is my belief...there is a lot of info on this too. This is what I DO, and not advising anyone. I happen to like glasses and have many frames from 50some yrs of wearing glasses. And my eyes are healthy.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:41 AM

Hi there. I had a vision test not that long ago but it was in another country. I was there to get contact lenses, the ones that i got in the US where they ship it to that country. Thus i want the same ones. Its called biomedics 55. Previously, i had to purchase other contact lenses brand from another place there because they did not have biomedics. They had this other one and they gave me like -11.50 and -12.00 which was higher than i got. The other place who i then saw because they told me they had biomedics 55 tells me that the other place gave me too high of prescripton etc.

They told me i should be wearing -10.00 on both eyes etc and shouldn't go any higher etc.

Yes i wear contacts all the time. Basically you could say i wear them 15 hours a day at least most of the time. Yes i know you should not do that. One of the reasons i don't take it off is because i never liked glasses. Sometimes i wear the glasses at night buts its rare. Yes i want to keep the same frames. So now im thinking should i get a replacement for my glasses because back then it was 2013 i believe which i got new frames and glasses. I also got the same contact lenses prescription so i thought well it should be same prescription. But still best to go there and do that? Again my vision always gets worst every year but the thing is its already bad etc. So if they give me new glasses, they cannot really go up that much etc. Also another silly question i have. But my frames are really dirty. The reason is because that glasses case that i use for it, it seemed like it got very dirty and then that made my glasses frame look very dirty. Thus when you look at my actual glasses but not the frame, you see theres lot of black dirt on the sides that you cannot really wipe out. Do you know if i go there and i buy new glasses but not the frame, could they use some liquid to clean my dirty frames? I got these frames for at least 300 dollars a few years ago. It might be more but i think it cost at least 360 etc. It might been 500 for everything but i forgot. I like these frames because they are the most comfortable frames i ever had. But the issue is it seem to be really dirty etc.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:44 AM

6,931 posts, read 218,524 times
Get a new eye exam/refraction done, and ask for the prescription. Take it to Costco , along with your old frames. I know Costco can fit new lenses into your old frames, but there are other places that will do this too. My wife has done this a few times.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:58 AM

Hi there. I never go to costco for this. I go to this local glasses/contact lenses place and i been going there for 20 years etc. But do you or anyone have advice on the other things like could they clean my frames etc? Again i like my frames a lot as this is the most comfortable frames i ever had. I worn many glasses before and these are the only ones i consider wearing.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:39 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
SINCE you rarely wear your glasses, and IF your current glasses aren't bothering you in some way, or causing inconvenience...why bother getting new ones?

I'm currently debating with myself if I should get new glasses. As I get older, my vision is actually improving (getting more long sighted) and find I don't NEED to wear them ALL the time...so I'm thinking "why bother?"

Old 03-15-2018, 04:25 PM

28 posts, read 25,959 times
You can get a local eye exam, ask for the Rx (by law they're required to give it to you) and then buy the glasses on line; I recommend Zenni.com for both prices and the frame choices but there are other providers to check out also.

Your Rx is so strong that the online sites might not be able to accommodate you. While it won't damage your eyes to use an older Rx, you should really bite the bullet and get a new Rx. You've gone too long without one now and there could be eye diseases that you don't know about that can cause blindness if not caught in time.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:45 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Quote:
I almost always wear contact lenses even though you should not be wearing them all day/night etc. I was told a long time ago you should take them off at night or whenever you get back home but i rarely do this.<>
My ex wore them 24 hrs a day, taking them out only to clean them. At night she pushed them down off her corneas.
Still does that probably.
I won't tell you how she usually cleaned them, though . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness