Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 04:49 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
So it started with a head cold which led to bronchitis, today is day 7 of the bronchitis, 5 days prior to that I had a head cold.
Been thru this pretty much every winter.
Taking OTC Mucinex but only at night to calm the coughing/phlegm.
I already take Prednisone 2.5mg per day religiously but here I am with a flare-up. No fever.
What could or would a doc prescribe at this point? I am between jobs but need to pull it together as I am BROKE. Should I be even seeing a doc at this point ?
How do you know you have bronchitis? Statistically you most likely have post nasal drip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 05:35 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
As others have said, bronchitis is easier and cheaper to deal with than pneumonia, so play it safe and get checked out.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:39 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
So it started with a head cold which led to bronchitis, today is day 7 of the bronchitis, 5 days prior to that I had a head cold.
I already take Prednisone 2.5mg per day religiously but here I am with a flare-up. No fever.
What could or would a doc prescribe at this point? I am between jobs but need to pull it together as I am BROKE. Should I be even seeing a doc at this point ?
And, you know it isn't pneumonia, how?

Do not pass go, do not collect 200.00. GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR, NOW!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2018, 07:27 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
i would see a doc as soon as possible

Old 03-13-2018, 07:49 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Sometimes questions tend to answer themselves
Amen brother

Old 03-13-2018, 11:18 PM

274 posts, read 294,706 times
Considering you have recurring bronchitis, I would say that seeing a doctor is probably one of the first things you should do.

I've known of someone else in my life that has had recurring bronchitis for many years. It ended up being an allergen in their home that they were able to remove, but it did cause a lot of damage. They ended up with series of other problems besides the recurring bronchitis including double bronchial pneumonia. They had also been quarantined for bronchitis that was so bad they weren't supposed to be going out at all for 6 months because they had pushed themselves too hard when they were sick. Don't mess around with this type of thing.

It may also help to see an Ear, Nose, & Throat doctor to get these seasonal episodes under control if you haven't already.

At this point, a doctor may prescribe an inhaler if they feel that allergens of some sort are the problem or if this may help you in some way. Steroids tend to be a common treatment, the same goes for antibiotics and maybe a cough expectorant. Though, they may give you something at night to suppress the cough so that you can sleep.

I suppose what you can ask yourself is, "What could happen if I don't see a doctor at this point?" You may get better on your own or you may not depending on how able your body is able to combat this. If you do become more ill, it's going to be a higher medical bill than if you went early.

Depending on your area, if you have minute clinics in like a Walgreens or CVS, often times they will take uninsured patients. You will want to make your appointment online if at all possible because the waits can be atrocious during cold and flu seasons. However, they usually don't charge more than $100 for the visit and the medications could be an extra $5 - $200 or so depending what they prescribe. You may also have urgent cares in your area that charge a flat fee to be seen without insurance like $100 - $200. If you honestly can't afford it, call and ask what they may be able to do. They may not be able to refuse you care, but you may have to make payments in smaller increments or something of that sort.

If you're close enough to the Mexico border, you may be able to go across and see the doctor for a lot cheaper than in the states.

Feel better soon!

Old 03-14-2018, 06:50 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
How do you know you have bronchitis? You were diagnosed by your doctor or are you just guessing?

Your doctor might prescribe Tessalon Perles for the cough, but you won't know unless you go.

You could try taking the Mucinex as directed for a few days and if that doesn't help, then go to the doctor.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:59 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
How are you getting the prednisone?

Do NOT take Tessalon Pearls. I saw it induce a heart attack in a healthy, fit 30 year old man.

Go see a physician. You may be having asthma that is breaking through that prednisone you're so blithely taking every day. You may have pneumonia.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:35 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Zpac or something similar should take care of it. I got it years ago. It never went away on it's own. Finally saw a doctor and that is what he gave me, a week later I was cured.
Yes! Bronchitus won't go away on its own, it'll go into pneumonia.

You are 4 days too late now. Hope you are young and healthy. Go to urgent care (Or an allergist) today, with a mask so you don't spread it.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:50 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
I would definitely go to a doctor. Why are you on prednisone? Taking prednisone every day isn't normal unless you have something going on. Bronchitis does last for weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness