Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 01:00 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Is that the same as Tramadol?
Yes it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 01:49 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,728 times
I am in my early 40's. I seem to recall being warned of the dangers of all types of drugs starting in the early 80's Neither of my parents, immediate family or family friends had dependency issues and always pushes the same anti-drug message to us kids as well. The dangers of ODing on painkillers was well known. My parents used to show me articles and obituaries of people of all ages who were addicts and ODed warning that this could happen to me if I wasn't careful. In my early 20's I had bad back issues from a car accident and from playing ice hockey. I was seeing a chiropractor 3 to 4 times week for over a year from ages 22 to 24. The best decision I ever made the first day I hobbled into the doctor's office was to refuse pain medication stronger than Advil. I did a lot of pain management and therapy and it worked. It wasn't easy but it worked. I have since had two different surgeries that required painkillers and I never took a full dose or finished the bottles. Education is the key to help prevent people from becoming addicted. As far as I am concerned once they are addicted they are a lost cause. It sounds cruel when I say this, my motto is the only good type of drug addict is a dead drug addict.

My family just went through this with my brother in law. He was a functioning addict that had a huge pill problem then went into Herion. He never admitted it but he had all the signs. Super skinny, rotting teeth bad skin, disengaged from his family. He never spent time with them. He would disappear for hours at a time. Always on sick leave and always broke despite making $125,000 per year working for Con-ed, etc. about 3 years ago he became sick with a parasitic lung. He was given 3 to 5 years to live. He went for a risky surgery and wound up dying. 49 years old, wife, 3 young kids and he was dead.

As sad of a story as this is we as a total family unit became better off after he died. He was sucking us dry emotionally and financially. He was so disengaged from his family his children barely cared that he was gone. My wife and I have practically raised those kids ourselves. Her sister and husband bankrupted my MIL. She was supporting them for 15 years despite him making a great living. Despite all that I personally still liked the guy. Because as a regular guy to hang out with have a cup of coffee with and work on cars with he was terrific. As a husband, Father, provider, Son and employee he was terrible and that was mostly due to his addictions.

I have noticed that society, in general, the past 20 years or so steered away from the just say NO education platform that had a very positive effect. Noe weather this was because of budget issues or it was in coordination with big Pharma as they rolled out more painkilling drugs is a coincidence? I don't know. Part of me thinks that it may be. The reality we live in now is that we have multiple generations of people who are addicts and are destroying the family unit and society. I firmly believe that these people are lost and we must concentrate on getting back to education of the up and coming generations to safeguard our futures.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:10 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If you've never experienced chronic, never-ending pain, don't judge the opioids or the people who get needed relief from them.
I have also two nephews who have a inherited condition that leaves deposits on their spines. The pain is held off by fentanyl patches... I asked the youngest what he'd do if he couldn't get anymore...He said "One gun, one bullet"

Old 03-17-2018, 03:00 PM

Unfortunately, there is no way to measure pain. It is what YOU say it is

Old 03-17-2018, 03:03 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If you've never experienced chronic, never-ending pain, don't judge the opioids or the people who get needed relief from them.

Any fool can abuse any substance. Look at the obesity in our country. To suggest that food be withheld from those who don't overeat just because others abuse food do is a ridiculous notion, right? The same goes for pain killers that actually work for those suffering chronic pain.

Nanny government. Nanny neighbors. Too many people have a sick need to control what is none of their business.

There is currently a substance called Kratom that the FDA wants to ban. It has the pain relieving qualities of Oxycodone, but without the euphoria. Kratom has been successful at getting addicts off of heroin, but government doesn't like it. Kratom is in the leaves of trees related to coffee trees that grow in Southeast Asia. It's interesting to goggle and read about.

Meanwhile, the only thing we have available to us is Tylenol, aspirin and Ibuprofen that don't help much at all. We can't even grow a simple weed in our backyards, a weed that will alleviate our pain. Nope. The doctors and pharmaceutical companies fair well from our pain, as does the government who taxes them.
We are discussing Kratom in the Alt Med area here. I had some but threw it away due to "fear". Now I'm kinda re-thinking of trying it again. I live with a lot of OA pain but manage but don't like it for sure...but will not take anything stronger than ibuprofen now.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:27 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
All my sister has to say is that she's a "9" or a "10" on the pain scale and she gets 1-2 oxys every 4 hours, as needed. Indefinitely. She reports being at a "9" only 5 minutes after we were talking, joking, and laughing - the docs don't even ask exactly what or how it is hurting. No inquiry to determine if it is remotely close to plausible pain for her diagnosed conditions.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:30 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Then we have to know that some have higher pain thresholds. I've had back pain for so long that it's a part of my life, sad but true. And now the knee and ankle issues.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:44 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Unfortunately, there is no way to measure pain. It is what YOU say it is
Yes and no. Certain conditions are more painful than others and doctors know this. They give pain meds when they know the patient is suffering - or that is what they should be doing. Certain types of pain cannot be relieved with other methods and pain meds need to be prescribed.
The vast majority who take pain meds do not become addicted. That is something that needs to be taken into consideration in these types of arguments.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:27 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,708,804 times
I discovered Kratom for pain relief about a year ago. It has been an amazing pain reliever for me as well as a mood lifter. It has been used for many years. Sadly, now that the government got wind of it being a popular herbal supplement for pain relief and also a way to help people get off addictive opioids, they are suddenly interested in possibly making it a controlled substance. I really hope they do not do that. Why would they do that?

I buy my Kratom at / purkratom dot com/ The one that works best for me is the Red Vein capsules. There are other sellers of Kratom capsules, but these are so high quality I don't want to try the others.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Yes and no. Certain conditions are more painful than others and doctors know this. They give pain meds when they know the patient is suffering - or that is what they should be doing. Certain types of pain cannot be relieved with other methods and pain meds need to be prescribed.
The vast majority who take pain meds do not become addicted. That is something that needs to be taken into consideration in these types of arguments.
NO! Unfortunately, pain is what you say it is. There is NO way to determine who HURTS more.

Yes, some conditions MAY hurt more, but not necessarily in all patients

But, no one disputes that many doctors hand out narcs like candy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness