Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 01:27 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times

Advertisements

Hubby has been on dialysis for almost 2 years now. We knew when it was time...he began to get pretty sick and nauseated...rapid weight loss, and bad color. Fatigue....terrible....his body was poisoning him. The 1st treatment was short and didn't run much blood...but after even 1 1/2 hours, he felt SO much better! Just getting some of the toxins out helped immensely.

As far as "supplements"...talk to your nephrologist before you take ANYTHING. Some things are NOT good for kidney patients at all...you don't want to do any more damage at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 01:44 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Kidneys are failing and i'm down to 20% remaining function ,i was wondering for those on dialysis what symptoms drove you to say its time , my nephrologist is setting me up to get a stint to facilitate being hooked up to the machine but i'd like to maintain my independence from a dialysis machine for as long as i can. Any one with experience to share?
I have no direct experience but I've read a lot about peritoneal dialysis, which can be done without a machine.

Do you know if you're a candidate for that?

Old 03-21-2018, 02:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I have no direct experience but I've read a lot about peritoneal dialysis, which can be done without a machine.

Do you know if you're a candidate for that?
i think thats the one where you get a catheter stuck in your peritoneal cavity to drain waste fluid, doesnt sound appealing..https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20384725

Old 03-21-2018, 10:06 AM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This is a prime case where IF both worlds worked together, one could appreciate much improved health. It's tragic that allopathic MD's are so closed to what has been around for centuries. Grapes for centuries. From the beginning of times.

The OP's nephrologist no doubt knows wherein she speaks, in regards to the effects of putting unknown entities into one's body when the kidneys are barely able to function, entities which might well have a deleterious effect on both the kidneys and other organs.

In the OP's shoes, I would take the word of the nephrologist over that of an internet supplement zealot determined to discredit the medical establishment.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
i think thats the one where you get a catheter stuck in your peritoneal cavity to drain waste fluid, doesnt sound appealing..https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20384725
I have to agree, PD doesn't sound like much fun, and I'd probably not want to do it either, but from what I've read its advocates say it's less expensive, doesn't take as long as regular dialysis, and can be done at home (or at work???, definitely depends on the kind of work one does), leaving the person with more time to do other things.

I recall talking to a patient once who did home peritoneal dialysis, he said he did it at night, and he went to work and kind of had a regular life during the day. I guess it worked for him.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:28 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
The OP's nephrologist no doubt knows wherein she speaks, in regards to the effects of putting unknown entities into one's body when the kidneys are barely able to function, entities which might well have a deleterious effect on both the kidneys and other organs.

In the OP's shoes, I would take the word of the nephrologist over that of an internet supplement zealot determined to discredit the medical establishment.
So many doctors DON'T know it all. They don't study outside their drug world. Big factor why I lost so much faith in them.

Everyone goes on their paths and decides what to put in their bodies.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:34 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,680 times
Default It wasn't for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I have to agree, PD doesn't sound like much fun, and I'd probably not want to do it either, but from what I've read its advocates say it's less expensive, doesn't take as long as regular dialysis, and can be done at home (or at work???, definitely depends on the kind of work one does), leaving the person with more time to do other things.

I recall talking to a patient once who did home peritoneal dialysis, he said he did it at night, and he went to work and kind of had a regular life during the day. I guess it worked for him.

I opted not to do it, although it was offered to me. Reasons were: I'm already an insomniac (it comes with having PKD) so being hooked up to a machine while I tried to sleep was not going to work for me. Also, there is the constant possibility for infection, and having already failed kidneys, the last thing I wanted was to have to deal with an opportunistic infection or worse, sepsis - which can kill.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
I opted not to do it, although it was offered to me. Reasons were: I'm already an insomniac (it comes with having PKD) so being hooked up to a machine while I tried to sleep was not going to work for me. Also, there is the constant possibility for infection, and having already failed kidneys, the last thing I wanted was to have to deal with an opportunistic infection or worse, sepsis - which can kill.
I can well understand that, they do talk up PD as something that could go on a night while the patient sleeps, but seeing that the fluid must be changed at least a couple times during the PD, I'd think that might interrupt one's sleep, and I'm not sure how well I'd sleep anyway hooked up to a machine.

Also true about the very real possibility of a peritonitis and complications from PD- that would be my fear as well.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:31 AM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So many doctors DON'T know it all. They don't study outside their drug world. Big factor why I lost so much faith in them.

Everyone goes on their paths and decides what to put in their bodies.
Frankly, you do not know what doctors know, and most of what you think you know is wrong. No one with kidney failure should take any supplements without consulting his nephrologist first.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:36 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,843,692 times
Another kind of dialysis not to rule out is perotonial (Sp???) dialysis. I have been on that sinse Aug 2013. Yes I still try to work and I have a pretty demanding career. I offshore fish (mate/captain sportfishers ), have a boat detailing company and am starting an inshore guide service on my skiff as my days crewing on offshore boats are probably numbered--will be 50 this year.

This is a portable dialysis in which you empty a bag through a catheter and then just let it sit in you for a few hours. The liquid pulls out excess liquid and toxins. I guess I am a bit lucky because my kidneys still make urine so I still drink what I want. I also only do the dialysis at nights while sitting at my PC or watching TV so I'm not doing any dialysis during the day. I just have to be carefull with the catheter in my gut.

Yes, I still travel, though not the exces travell I did before kidney failure, but I still will flyy out of the country. Have gone to Colombia twices and Costa Rica once since starting the big "D" and have had several last minute trips driving to FL. Even took a job last year on a boat when it was still docked in FL.

My points here is if you need to go that route, you can still live your life. It may need to be modified a bit but things you did before are still doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness