Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 06:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Kidneys are failing and i'm down to 20% remaining function ,i was wondering for those on dialysis what symptoms drove you to say its time , my nephrologist is setting me up to get a stint to facilitate being hooked up to the machine but i'd like to maintain my independence from a dialysis machine for as long as i can. Any one with experience to share?
jambo, so sorry to hear this. I know it is a hard thing to deal with, as it is so confining. good luck to you. And I agree with you: following the advise of your medical team is the best way to handle your condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 10:05 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
I have the cramping big time, the itching is driving me crazy, major edema in legs, nausea in the form of a general feeling of ill health all the time and i'm full of water from head to toe.. While the docs tell me i can go for some time at 15-20% kidney function the symptoms are such that i;d like to address the possibility of improvement.
Today i see the vascular surgeon to review the findings in my recent Doppler imaging and to talk about getting a fistula implanted for the eventual hook up to a dialysis machine.

Hi jambo....did you have the appt, and do you want to share what happened...?

Been keeping up with your thread.
Have you made any further decisions??? And how are you right now?

Old 05-20-2018, 10:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Hi jambo....did you have the appt, and do you want to share what happened...?

Been keeping up with your thread.
Have you made any further decisions??? And how are you right now?
The surgeon examined my arms for potential fistula locations,before proceeding we will do another venous doppler imaging session and if all goes well we can implant the fistula sometime in July, he asked if i want to be put to sleep for the 1 hour operation or just go with freezing, he also said my last blood test has my kidney function down to 15%.
As for how am i?
much edema in legs.much cramping every night, and crazy itching all over and a feeling of much water in upper torso. I also feel like crap all the time. This dialysis cant come soon enough if its going to alleviate these maladies.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
The surgeon examined my arms for potential fistula locations,before proceeding we will do another venous doppler imaging session and if all goes well we can implant the fistula sometime in July, he asked if i want to be put to sleep for the 1 hour operation or just go with freezing, he also said my last blood test has my kidney function down to 15%.
As for how am i?
much edema in legs.much cramping every night, and crazy itching all over and a feeling of much water in upper torso. I also feel like crap all the time. This dialysis cant come soon enough if its going to alleviate these maladies.

So you've made your mind up, then to go ahead with dialysis? I've not experienced your symptoms but after working for dozens of years in the medical field I've seen the before and after of dialysis.

The best news is you should feel so much better after a session... Feeling that bad, seems like it'd be hard to carry on some days...swelling and especially itching are difficult to tolerate.

This way you'll feel REALLY good in a way you haven't for so long...best wishes.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
So you've made your mind up, then to go ahead with dialysis? I've not experienced your symptoms but after working for dozens of years in the medical field I've seen the before and after of dialysis.

The best news is you should feel so much better after a session... Feeling that bad, seems like it'd be hard to carry on some days...swelling and especially itching are difficult to tolerate.

This way you'll feel REALLY good in a way you haven't for so long...best wishes.
Downside is i'll be hooked up to a dialysis machine for 4-5 hours 3 days a week. Does any one get dialysis just one or two days a week or is 3 days a mandatory requirement?
And AnnSmithJones i did read your post #47 and as i get further along in the process will explore that option.
thanks

Old 05-21-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Downside is i'll be hooked up to a dialysis machine for 4-5 hours 3 days a week. Does any one get dialysis just one or two days a week or is 3 days a mandatory requirement?
And AnnSmithJones i did read your post #47 and as i get further along in the process will explore that option.
thanks

These are questions for your MD...

I imagine they would allow you to tour a dialysis facility with your doctor's permission. Would that help you think?? Or I know your MD has nurses that work nephrology and could answer some of your questions, likely have a lot of printed material for patients.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
These are questions for your MD...

I imagine they would allow you to tour a dialysis facility with your doctor's permission. Would that help you think?? Or I know your MD has nurses that work nephrology and could answer some of your questions, likely have a lot of printed material for patients.
The nurse in nephrology has promised to take me on a tour of the dialysis unit at the hospital, she says there are 20 stations, unfortunately the last few times at the nephrologist the nurse hasnt been there.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:57 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
thanks
it's always 3 days/week - otherwise there is too much fluid build-up

Old 05-21-2018, 10:30 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So many doctors DON'T know it all. They don't study outside their drug world. Big factor why I lost so much faith in them.

Everyone goes on their paths and decides what to put in their bodies.
It's one thing to take supplements when you are relatively healthy and are doing it "just in case" as just ONE of the things to stay healthy.

It is a very different thing to have a chronic disease that has progressed to this degree - why would you do something that could possibly stress your body even more when you are already on the brink?

If you'd ever been really sick you'd know that you don't take such chances unless you are already on your deathbed. I can't believe you are so sure of yourself that you're advising people to do something that is against their doctors' orders - it's a good thing this is anonymous on here or you just might get sued.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:17 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Good luck, jambo. So sorry to hear your illness has progressed to this level. But hopefully you will feel better soon. We will all be rooting for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness