Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 07:37 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times

Advertisements

I took an OTC decongestant one time many years ago..... I was speeding like a FREAK and was absolutely miserable until it FINALLY wore off....

Are decongestants today any less obnoxious??

I have been battling some sort of phlegm manufacturing disorder or illness or SOMETHING for the last 8 - 10 weeks..... It comes on strong for a couple or three days and makes me think I might be getting a cold, but then goes away in a far shorter time frame than a cold does..... but then it reappears again a couple or three weeks later for a repeat performance.....

No rhyme or reason about what I am exposed to or breathing or anything else.... it just randomly comes and goes.....

This time it has lasted a week or more and I am SICK TO DEATH of the sinus and chest congestion.....

any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 11:15 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Time to see your doctor.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:47 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,553,488 times
I've used Mucinex to dry up this problem. No other reactions to it, and it works for the 12 hours it claims it will.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:03 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
I've only taken Mucinex a few times , but I felt fine.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:00 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Pseudoephedrine is the problem ingredient....look for decongestants without it.

It does cause hyperactivity and is one ingredient used to make illegal meth. That's why if you buy it, you must give your DL no. and you can usually buy only 2 pks at a time.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:08 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Pseudoephedrine is the problem ingredient....look for decongestants without it.

It does cause hyperactivity and is one ingredient used to make illegal meth. That's why if you buy it, you must give your DL no. and you can usually buy only 2 pks at a time.
Right, pseudoephedrine will have that effect on some people, but there are decongestants that don't have that ingredient. Anything you can buy without having to go to the pharmacy counter would work.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:12 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Decongestants can become habit forming and create more serious problems down the line. I'd suggest you have an evaluation with an ENT doctor.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:19 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
My thoughts, of course, get non drug products.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:55 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My thoughts, of course, get non drug products.
This is one case where I agree with you. In many cases, if it’s just the winter, it may be a simple matter of dry air in the home causing sinus issues. The OP should see what the humidity is in the home and then look into a humidifier (particularly in the bedroom). I ended up getting a living room one and a bedroom one and have felt a lot better. I also use saline nasal spray and the sinus rinse.

That said, I also have a horrible dust allergy and use nasal sprays for congestion as well. I use Flonase every day and then have a prescription one to use as needed when the Flonase isn’t enough. I hate pseudoephedrine as it gives me racing thoughts and keeps me from sleeping, so anything that keeps me from using that is a plus. Afrin is supposed to be great for immediate relief, but it is apparently extremely habit forming so my doctor only recommended it for when everything else fails.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:59 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
This is one case where I agree with you. In many cases, if it’s just the winter, it may be a simple matter of dry air in the home causing sinus issues. The OP should see what the humidity is in the home and then look into a humidifier (particularly in the bedroom). I ended up getting a living room one and a bedroom one and have felt a lot better. I also use saline nasal spray and the sinus rinse.

That said, I also have a horrible dust allergy and use nasal sprays for congestion as well. I use Flonase every day and then have a prescription one to use as needed when the Flonase isn’t enough. I hate pseudoephedrine as it gives me racing thoughts and keeps me from sleeping, so anything that keeps me from using that is a plus. Afrin is supposed to be great for immediate relief, but it is apparently extremely habit forming so my doctor only recommended it for when everything else fails.
I just sent the OP a list of non drug decongestants and it's good to have other choices. I don't buy anything hardly anymore in drug stores, health food stores or online...then of course my famous antioxidant for prevention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness